Open Hours:Monday 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM, Tuesday 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM, Wednesday 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM, Thursday 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM, Friday 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM, Saturday 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM, Sunday 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Tribes: Who likes this place?
What the scores mean:
These scores tell you how well-liked a place is in each Tribe. Gogobot Tribes are groups who share a certain travel style, like Family Travelers or History Buffs.
Which Gogobot Tribe do you belong to?Join now
- 98%Family Travelers
- 51%History Buffs
- 51%Business Travelers
User Reviews (8 Reviews)
- Sam Woo RestaurantDec 30, 2013
So there are two Sam Woos... The fancy credit cards accepted restaurant and the cash only regular Chinese restaurant.
We chose the latter because it was cheaper. Way cheaper.
We got noodles, tofu, fish, dim sum, veggies and all for $50. If you were to go to the other restaurant it would has been more. The food is pretty good for being in Irvine (everyone knows SGV had better Chinese food).
So they basically serve the same thing but because this is cash only, it's a lot cheaper.
This is not a place you take someone you wasn't too impress to. Go to the fancy one of that's the case. Of you are with your fam or friends, this one is fine.
Overall: good for Irvine
- Sam Woo RestaurantMember ofBudget TravelersFoodiesWellness+ 1Nov 22, 2013
Awww Yeah Sam Woo BBQ Express!! Also known as Wooo Wu WOOO according to my friend. Since Sam Woo is a very well known restaurant chain I have been trying to avoid writing a review, because there are so many locations, because I take pride trying to find lesser known restaurants.... but Sam Woo Wu Woo! You deserve a review!
1. I recently had lunch here 3 times in one week.
2. I have often said and heard the words "There is no good Chinese Food in Irvine".
3. I have already converted nearly my whole department in to SW Express fans.
4. Not a fan of Cash only, but I have driven to the bank to get cash many times to eat here and never once complained.
5. A co-worker asked me once... "Isn't Sam Woo American food like the PF Chang's of Chinese Food?" ... wow that is harsh.
6. My Elite Badge semi-depends on it.
Yes, Sam Woo BBQ Express is a well known restaurant chain, but unlike Panda Express and Capital Seafood for the most part your experience will good at most locations. I stake my yelp career on it! Sometimes you want Cantonese food and you do not live in San Francisco/ Oakland Chinatown area.
The food quality is pretty good. Not just by Irvine standards. The taste good may be a little salty or grease compared to other places, but it will fill your craving. A few small tweaks in their recipes could make it the best food around.
1. Beef Chow Fun with Black Bean Sauce- This is legit!! I personally like spare ribs with Black Bean Sauce, but after trying this dish. Sam Woo Express makes it very well.
2. Beef Wonton Noodle Soup- yum!!! There is nothing like soup on a rainning day. If you are all Pho'd out give this a try. It will never beat my favorite places in the Bay Area, but a very good 2nd or 3rd place.
Highly Recommended!!! Not everyone will like Sam Woo which is okay. If are a UCI student that wants the feeling of home, away from home, eat here. I recommend keeping cash on hand just for SW Express. Also, you can view the FULL "Express" MENU online and call in your orders so the food will be ready within 10 minutes or less. Put down your Subway and other crap. EAT MORE SW Express. The Express side is better because it will save you a few bucks and has the exact same food as the main restaurant .
You're Welcome =)
- Sam Woo RestaurantMember ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget Travelers+ 7Nov 13, 2013
So this is one of my favorite restaurants to hit up. I have been coming here since 1993... this place has some awesome tasty authentic Chinese grub. Everything is really tasty here.
It is fairly cheap but it is cash only. I have never gotten takeout but always eaten in. There is usually a wait but it has always been worth it and the line has usually moved fairly quickly.
My favorite items here are some of the noodle dishes and the items that are served over rice. The over rice items are nice as it includes the rice and has sauce dripped into and through the rice. The noodles also have gravy all throughout them. It is also important that they do not overcook the noodles.
I hope that you enjoy this joint if you go. It is always worth the trip and always tasty. Enjoy!
- Sam Woo RestaurantMember ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBusiness Travelers+ 2Dec 30, 2012
Decent Chinese food, fairly cheap but you pay what you get for. The options are numerous but the service is a bit atrocious. You may have to bug the waiters a few times to get your water etc
- Sam Woo RestaurantMember ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget Travelers+ 14Nov 30, 2012
The food here is GOOD Overall... =) but service here can be a LOT better.. I swear that those lil' ladies with the Dim Sum food carts zoom past by you sometimes when you aren't looking & are really wanting something from their carts... =) The lines for the Dim Sum on the weekends can be a pain to get through but the whole experience is not bad average compared to the other Dim Sum Restaurants in the area..the best Dim Sum Restaurants are all in Alhambra/Monterey Park areas... =)
The food to go/ take out @ the BBQ Express section has a very GOOD selection for very GOOD prices... great for students on a budget.. =)