Santouka Ramen

665 Paularino Ave, Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Richard
    3 Dec 01, 2013

I was a big fan of Santouka Ramen in Santa Monica. They offer boiled hot Ramen with nice chewy noodles!

On my way to San diego I stopped by here to try this legendary Ramen chain. I ordered the Large size Miso Ramen. The broth was not anywhere as hot as the Santa Monica location and the noodle portion appeared to be smaller despite the large size which cost just about $10 after the sales tax.

This one does not appear to have large crowds like the other locations and is similar in size to a Food Court.

Keep your receipt since you need that to verity your order!

Jason L
    5 Jun 27, 2013

Delicious Ramen! Ever since I watched the movie Tampoco, a Japanese movie about a girl learning to make perfect ramen, a few years ago I always wanted to try Ramen. I have tried many other places, but after trying Santouka I am hooked.

Located in the Mitsuwa food court, there are a lot of different types of Japanese food. I want to try some curry and other Japanese dishes, but instead Ramen is always my meal of choice when in the area.

I highly recommend the Miso Ramen. I tried the spicy Miso Ramen, but it wasn't as good as I thought it would be for about a dollar more. Make sure to bring cash. Thank you Santouka for having the best Ramen I have ever tasted.

When you first walk in the Mituswa market food court you will notice one thing a big line at Santouka Ramen. This place is for real real not for play play. If you look throw the endless pictures posted by various yelp users this place is no joke. You can choose between Salt, Pork, and Miso based broths. I have only tried Salt and Miso. Salt was bit too salty for me, it reminded of me when I drank a gulp full of salt water my first time snorkeling in Hawaii. Miso Ramen has a delicious taste of pork flavor and traditional miso soup. I was fascinated by the neat and precise the ramen presentation. It really does look exactly like the fact Ramen displays.

I admit that Ramen is not the best food for big eaters, but that's normal for Japanese food. Everything Japanese seems to be neat cute and small.. pretty much the opposite of American dishes. Even when I order a large Ramen I usually add a side of Sushi from the Mituswa market or a plate of tonkatsu curry from a neighboring restaurant. I tried Udon and bento boxes from the other restaurants, but they were nothing spectacular. I highly recommend going in to the market to pick up boxes of sushi and then have a side of Ramen to go with it. The market takes credit card and Santouka doesn't, my only con.

My best advice is to visit Santouka during off peak times if you can. If you hit the dinner or lunch rush you may wait anywhere from 15-45 minutes for you Ramen. Try to go an hour before or after the peak time. Not during 12-1:30pm or 6-7pm. Also, you will learn the hard way that there is no parking during peak and you will only see cars driving is circles trying to find parking. To avoid stalking leaving customers go when it is less busy. I have only gone on weekends but I would imagine weekdays are off peak.

So LETS GET SOME RAMEN! Cheers! with green tea of course there is no alcohol allowed in the food court.

King Kevin the VII
    2 Jun 08, 2013

I can plow through a bowl of ramen quicker than Naruto!

First off, this place is inside of the Japanese market, just look for the huge line. I came here at 9:05, and the restaurant opens at 9, so that means people were waiting at Santouka before it even opened. So I ordered a regular bowl of spicy miso ramen for $8. Unfortunately, the ramen is kind of hard and chewy. However, the broth was solid even though it was a little bit too oily for my taste and there wasn't that much meat in the soup. I'm used to all the ramen places I've had in Little Tokyo in LA and none of the ramen place I've tried in the OC have matched up to it. Furthermore, there was no option to customize your ramen or extra garlic or sea salt so that was a bummer.

Oh well, I guess my search for great OC ramen continues. I'M A NINJA, BELIEVE IT!

Roy Chi
    4 Jan 10, 2013

PROS:

- Shio Ramen w/ Special Pork = Excellent broth, tender pork

- Probably the best ramen I've had in Southern California

---------------------------------

CONS:

- HORRIBLE plastic spoons. Why do you have such nice bowls and plates, and then give us such flimsy ass spoons that are NOT made for eating anything with broth?! Given the angle that the spoon had to have in order to enter the deep bowl, you would be lucky to get a mere sip of broth each time. I've never been this angry at a damn spoon before in my life. I'm still angry at that damn waste of plastic.

- Note for next time: Buy a damn solid soup soon at the Japanese market first and then use that for the ramen at Santouka.

Trina D.

Santouka = ramen nirvana. Santouka is a little hole-in-the-wall ramen place tucked into the food court at Mitsuwa. Parking is a little scary here, but with a little patience, you too could be enjoying a delightful bowl of delicious ramen. Words cannot describe how much I LOVE the ramen here. The ramen is so good that people wait in long 20-minute lines during their lunch hour just to get a steamy bowl of ramen. The broth is rich, flavorful, savory and just plain delicious. I always order the regular hot miso ramen ($7.49), but I hear that the salt ramen is their specialty. The hot miso ramen has chili oil in it so that is why it looks particularly oily, but the chili oil just enhances the flavor of the pork and the noodles. The pork is sliced; it's tender, juicy, fatty even. Apparently the special pork is even more tender and fatty, if that's possible. Having a bowl of ramen here is like having a food-gasm in every bite.

The ramen comes in 3 different sizes: small, regular, and large. The regular fills me up just fine. Also, make sure you have cash on hand since they only take cash, no plastic. They do not provide take-out either so be prepared to scope out a seat for yourself during peak hours. With this in mind, come to Santouka when you're in the mood and enjoy.

Chris Lo

The best ramen in OC hands down. The miso ramen is what I usually get, but the shio ramen is bomb too. It is in the food court where mitsuwa market is and it may have a long line but it goes quickly. Sometimes the ramen is a little greasy but well worth it. It is so tasty. The broth is what makes it separate itself from other ramen.

娟 何