Trip Plan Details
- Downtown Bakery & Creamery308 Center St, Healdsburg, CA 95448recommended Downtown Bakery & CreameryGreat casual food spot in Healdsburg. Their pastries are not to be missed. The donut muffin is delicious!Recommended for:
- Dry Creek General Store3495 Dry Creek Road, Healdsburg, CArecommended Dry Creek General StoreGreat little stop in the middle of nowhere outside of Healdsburg. Part gourmet food shop, part deli and part old time saloon, this is a great place to grab some grub and down a few beers while ... read moreexploring wine country or enjoying the local Russian River. The bar is classic - AWESOME!Recommended for:Arlo Hemphill
Another must see place for a bite to eat is the Dry Creek General Store. It's a lonely old country building at an intersection amidst expanses of vineyards and farmland. The grocery serves excellent hot and cold sandwiches, sells gourmet foods of all kinds, and the best part is their rustic wooden bar. You'll feel like you stepped into a wild west saloon when you get a load of this joint. Or, if not in the mood for beer and bars, just sit out on the front patio and enjoy a hot reuben!
This is a perfect stopover for lunch or early dinner if you're biking through the local wine country. However, don't try to bike the Westside Road and stop at every winery along the way, with the intention of eating here when you're done. I tried that and it was ugly. Too many wineries and not enough food!
commented on this trip
We were there is June- great places! We dined at Charlie Palmer's Dry Creek Kitchen. It was one of the best meals we've eaten in years! The Ferrari-Carano winery is also a favorite. They have a great tasting room bar on the basement level. Don't just go to the one in the gift shop!
- Longboard Vineyards 5 Fitch St., Healdsburg CA 95448recommended Longboard VineyardsOne of my all time favorite wineries, if for no other reason than they glorify surfing with wine. The winery has a cool Hawaiian surf shack feel to it and the wine itself is awesome. Buy some, find ... read moreout for yourself!Recommended for:Arlo Hemphill
Here's another one of my favorite wineries. This one is located in town and has no scenic vineyards to walk around in, but it's a fantastic winemaker. I like theme wineries like this and these guys pull out all the stops. The entire winery feels like a Hawaiian surf shack with surfboards on the ceilings, surf videos playing on the flatscreen and various tributes to surfing history and greats. Excellent wine.
- Armida Winery2201 Westsode Road, Healdsburg, CA 95448recommended Armida WineryPoison is my poison of choice! What a great wine in an even greater bottle. They have their marketing done right!Recommended for:Arlo Hemphill
This is one of the great wineries you'll encounter along Westside Road. Their flagship wine is called "Poison" and comes in bottles with skulls and crossbones. Aside from the groovy marketing, it also tastes phenomenal!
- Wine Country Bikes61 Front Street, Healdsburg, CArecommended Wine Country BikesVery nice people and great bikes to rent for cruising around beautiful wine country!Recommended for:Arlo Hemphill
My favorite place in all of California's wine country!
I recommend renting bikes at Wine Country Bikes and taking them up Westside Road. There are countless wineries along that road and it's great open country - a mixture of vineyards, rolling hills and some nice forest too!