Seattle Underground Tour

608 First Ave., Seattle, WA 98104-2210

1,955 people visited Seattle Underground Tour

Ree
    3 Jan 30, 2014

Interesting history about Seattle. Emily, who gave the 20 minute intro speech, was funny! Our tour guide was friendly but not memorable or funny. The underground was neat to see if anything, just to say I have seen it. Tour is a bit pricey for what it was. Would still recommend to others. Do it at least once.

Michael Sarko
    5 Oct 28, 2013

Back in June of 1889, much of the original city of Seattle burned down in the Great Seattle Fire (thankfully, everyone made it out okay). The industrious Seattleites built a new city on top of the ruins and it continues to thrive to this day. The Seattle Underground Tour is a unique guided experience in some of the remaining structures and streets from Old Seattle, with a good dash of humor and adventure. It's great for families who like history with a little spice and wit.

Recommended for:Family TravelersHistory BuffsLocal Culture
  • Seattle Underground TourPro 2014
    Fran V.
    4 Oct 19, 2013

Taking The Underground tour gave me a different perspective of Seattle and helped me to learn more about the history of the city.

Yulree Chun "@GogobotLA"
    5 Apr 23, 2013

If you're a history buff or like to listen to stories, this is the tour for you. They talk about the alternative stories of Seattle that aren't mentioned in history books. The guides are really into it, too, which keeps it engaging. Glad I took time to try this tour out.

Jaime Gamblin
    5 Mar 25, 2013

I'm always a little weary of particularly tourist-y things on my travels, but the idea that I could finally see what historians are talking about when they say that we simply build on top of our old cities roped me in. I'm glad it did.
    Interestingly enough, though, the sights weren't the most exciting part. It was neat to see the old rooms and the few remaining storefronts, but the real treasure was the tour guide and the resources at the end of the tour. Our guide was charming and obviously interested in what he was sharing, and fielded questions from the more... 'aggressive' question askers with ease and humor. While I didn't take the no-holds-barred red light district tour, the group still learned plenty about the founding role of prostitution, its excitingly powerful and cunning women, and other more illicit goings-on via some amusing (and historically relevant) euphemisms. I spent a good hour in the small museum/gift shop at the end of the tour, where there are artifacts recovered from the tunnels as well as an array of old newspaper clippings and bios of the more interesting characters from Old Seattle.
    I would recommend this tour to anyone in Seattle, either living there currently or only visiting for a couple of days. It's that good.

Max Perez
    4 Jan 29, 2013

Very informative about the history of Seattle, urban planning and how it goes right and wrong especially as plumbing was introduced.

The thing that I really had not realized when I took this tour was how geographically isolated Seattle was when it was founded. We take the roads, airplanes, and even rail access for granted and forget that it was not long ago that a place like the pacific northwest was a hard place to get to.

Lorrie M
    4 Dec 14, 2012

I don't know why this tour got such bad reviews, but I actually really enjoyed it. I didn't experience any ghostly chills or phenomenons but I suppose the stories that are told are good enough.

I want to go back for the 21+ night tour where you get a free drink at the end, but unfortunately the times are weird and my flight will get in next time too late for the tour.

Our tour guide was a lady who was pretty funny and made every story very entertaining. She took us through the nooks and crannies and explained every question thoroughly and completely. The tour is 90 minutes long and does require quite a bit of walking as well as climbing up and down stairs but I definitely thought it was fun and worth while. It was cheap and I learned so much about Seattle that I never knew.

I wouldn't even have found out about the tour save for one of my friends who looked it up despite the ratings and decided to go. I hope one day I can take the night tour :)

Kevin Cheng
    4 Dec 14, 2012

This tour is a great way to take in and experience some of the unusual history of Seattle. They lead you into the underground sections of the city and explain how Seattle was built and then rebuilt. Lots of fun and fascinating stories.

John Pfeiffer
    4 Dec 09, 2012

Great fun tour , super interesting .. great guides and if your are late for a tour you can just wait and have drinks... not a tour I would do over and over again but a definite must do even when raining as it is underground.

Tarina Peterson
    5 Dec 02, 2012

This is a fantastic tour. I'd never realized that Seattle was pretty much built on top of it's predecessor and just how much of the city and it's history is contained beneath it. This is a great tour if you're interested in history or just interested in how Seattle came to be.

Description:

The great Seattle fire of 1889 led to the prevention of backed-up toilets for future generations. It was this devastating inferno that forced a city-wide rebuilding project that raised the neighborhood up 12 ft. higher than before, subsequently ensuring that the gravity-assisted flush toilets funnelling into Elliot Bay wouldn’t ever overflow from high tide again. Another result was the creation of the Seattle Underground, a network of passageways underneath downtown Seattle. The areas of the subterranean world made accessible for guided tours have been renovated and made safe for curious adventurers.