Seven Grand

515 West 7th Street, Los Angeles, CA

Hanae
    5 Jul 15, 2014

I'm not a whiskey lover nor a hater (but leaning toward the hating side) but I LOVE their whiskey sour and mint julep! yummmmm

I prefer sweet drinks that hides the flavor of alcohol. Whiskey sour is different from the other ones I've tried at other bars. It's fluffy on top cuz of the egg white and it's not disgustingly sweet and sour. Even my whiskey loving (not sweet tooth) bf is a fan of it..

Mint Julep comes in a fancy branded silver cup, which you have to later return or they'll charge you for it on your credit card.

It gets pretty crowded on friday/sat night. Free parking on the st after 8pm (read signs).

Pool table for peeps no dance floor. It could get noisy, stuffy and finding a place to sit might be a hassle.

Attire could be casual or dressy.

If you can't find parking on the street then the best place to park is on flower and 8th (it'll be on your right side right before you pass 8th). It's $5 and it's 24hour (but they'll charge you more it's 3 or 4 am). Cash only, there's atm machine.

My sister got the opportunity to enjoy a $90 whiskey. woah...

Recommended for:Nightlife LoversStudentsTrendsters
    Schel
    4 Jul 11, 2014

Say hello to my little friend. That teenie tiny glass of golden brown liquid that some of you may call whiskey, bourbon, rye, scotch, sourmash, irish, etc. Well this place rocks, but only if you ask for it on them…

I love the options here. The bartenders know there chit and can help guide you to some awesome stuff in any price range. I definitely feel that there are a lot of great things to try, but without guidance, you are not likely to find many of them.

Pro Tip: Parking at the meters nearby is free after 8pm… yeah you, yes I am talking to your cheap frugal azz, you don’t have to pay to park so this is a definite plus

I hated when the band started to play while my friends and I were here. The jazz band sounds great, but you are instantly unable to chat, as it is too loud to talk. That is perhaps the worst thing about this joint. I like the exclusivity of it being above another bar so less folks are likely to head up to enjoy the libations here.

They had a great mixed crowd. It wasn’t a bunch of old fogeys or whinos sippin on old crow, it was a younger to middle aged crowd who were enjoying a fun night out and about on like a Monday or a Wednesday. Definitely random, well that is likely due to a few hipsters who somehow found their way to a place without PBR, as shocking as that is. There are also a couple of pool tables and at the end of a long hall you can find some fairly clean restrooms.

So who knows, maybe I will run into you here someday and ill keep praying that the hipsters nor whinos haven’t yet invaded en masse…

Recommended for:Business TravelersLuxury TravelersNightlife LoversTrendsters
    JR Cajigas
    5 Aug 01, 2013

Drinks: Old Fashioned, Whiskey Sour, Vanilla Cream Punch, Jameson no rocks lime.
    As a Downtown local, I frequent most of the DT bars. Golden Gopher is my go-to spot, but I know that when I feel like something more exciting, I head over to Seven Grand. On a Monday night, there was a live jazz band, which amped things up a bit when communicating with others at the bar. The ambiance was that of a dark hunters lodge which adds to the mystique of the place. There's plenty of seating, but that quickly fills up because of the popularity of this place. If there's one prime thing that stands out, it's that this place pays the most attention to their specialty drinks than I've seen at any other bar. A "standard" whiskey sour is given the attention of a James Bond martini, with the most aggressive shake and gentle sprinkling of toppings. One of the best whiskey sours I've had, but just be prepared to pay for it. The Old Fashioned is a great man drink that has the consistency of a whiskey sipper and an added citrus twang. Fancy Mad Men drink . The Vanilla Cream Punch was a bit milkshake creamy, but for someone that likes that texture it would be a win. These are not bartenders that make you these drinks, they really are mixologists and I will continue to patron this place as long as it's around. See you again.

Kim L. "Lady Boss"
    4 Jun 21, 2013

Very nice chill & cool environment to hang out w friends & meet new peeps.

Back bar is very limited in what drinks they serve; which kinda sucks. -1

Love the decor (very interesting; kinda classy hipster style) & vibe here. ;-)

Drinks B

Decor B+

Ambiance B+

Anthony Ong
    5 Feb 06, 2013

Interested in Whiskey? How about some pool! This is the place to be, live music chill crowd! I love this bar!

Andrea L
    4 Jan 10, 2013

Good start, good end. First impression matters, but so does the end of the evening. To start with, the guy at the door was cool. Instead of the usual doorman I-think-I'm-hot-sh*t-beca use-I-control-the-entrance attitude some others seem to have, he told us to "have a good time". So we did.

As we walk up the dimly-lit stairs, I feel like I'm entering a private club, lined with walls of Maker's Mark. First impression: hunting lodge meets speakeasy lounge. Deep colors and plaids with a nicely aged (without being worn) look.

We hung out on the smoking patio. I was totally digging the "windows" out there. They are just window frames with no panes, but without closer inspection, they really did look like regular windows (at least in the smoky haze of the evening).

There was a cool retro band playing some soulful tunes inside. It was quite loud inside, but the volume outside was nice enough that you could hear the music and still (mostly) hear the people you were talking to.

Pool tables inside, cigars sold for smoking on the outside patio. A roped off little corner inside for a special little party adds just one more element of coolness to this place. I don't drink whiskey and I am not fond of dead animal heads, but even with their sorrowful eyes looking down at me, I still thought this was a pretty cool place.

Alfonso Ortiz
    5 Nov 28, 2013

This has to be my favorite whiskey bar in LA! They have amazing signature drinks and can make one hell of a "old fashion"

Jennifer N.
    4 Oct 02, 2012

I don't like whiskey but this bar rocks! WILL get packed soon within the night but what I love about the crowds that comes here is they are more of an mature crowd, that doesn't get "TOO" Rowdy.

The bartender complained about me just wanting a ginger ale as my first drink, my replied was at least it's an "ale" Although he picked on me a few more times throughout the night, at the end of the night, he called me a "good girl!" when we closed the bill.
    Of course my friend, half drunk , embarrassing me yelled out, "Good girl, my ass!"

Friends say the drinks were strong and the mixed cocktails are good! The bartenders are super friendly and the crowd that comes here are always in a fun and happy mood but without being pretentious. Even the drunks are not obnoxious. haha! (Well at least the 2 times I've been there)

Again another bar that we can never get a chance to play pool in, but the Juke box is cool! Great music! Good ole 80's and 90's rock too!

I definitely recommend this place! It marked a special place in my heart. No I didn't get lucky that night, (I Am a good girl! lol) but I sure met a few great people here! Cheers!!

oh, Best night to come is Thursday! But don't choose artwalk Thursday!

Steph Chen
    5 Sep 15, 2012

One of my favorite bars in LA, ever. It's a whiskey bar. Dress code and atmosphere are more on the casual side. Small space - gets crowded, people are generally pretty friendly. There are pool tables so you can play a game or two for entertainment. Haven't had to pay a cover, but there's usually a line on weekend nights. Not too long of a wait though, and it goes by fast if you go with friends. Favorite drink: Irish Vandal.

Jeff kuo
    5 Sep 14, 2012

Awesome bar for whiskey lovers. Interesting "hunter's lodge" decor. Long line. Expensive drinks. Crowded. Takes forever to get a bartender. Their specialty cocktails are good, but their old-fashioned is superb.

Sue Zhou
    4 Sep 11, 2012

Whiskey bar in LA. Located upstairs, next to Mas Malo. Excellent mixologists, pool tables, smoking outdoor patio. Great date spot and for
    Whiskey lovers.

For if we don't find
    The next whiskey bar
    I tell you we must die
    I tell you we must die

200 whiskeys and a decent beer selection. Bartenders who know their shit. This is not a place to go for a Cosmo.

Try the Los Angeles.

Risa Yanai
    3 Sep 07, 2012

I've been to Seven Grand couple of times after work since I work in downtown. Last night (Saturday night) was the first time i went there on a weekend and wow the place was packed!!! I like the place because of the atmosphere, the pool tables and the outside patio, but last night was just WAYYY to packed to enjoy any of that.

Last night... if you were a girl, the service was great! Got the bartenders' attention as soon as I got to the bar, they made my drinks very fast and when I told them the drink wasn't made right, they changed it right away. HOWEVER... they didn't give the guys the same service they were giving the girls :( My bf wasn't too happy about it. I wouldn't be happy either if i were him. :(

My friend reserved a little section on the side of the bar for her birthday so we didn't have to deal too much with the crowd, but I would not want to go back there on a Saturday night again. It's way too packed and I think they jack up the prices on the weekends because I remember the drinks being a lot cheaper before...

The whiskey sour I used to get at Seven grand was great!!! but last night... what happened? I had fun, but wasn't too impressed with the venue!

katmandu
    4 Aug 29, 2012

Great whiskey bar. A bit douchey at times, with the frat boys and girls of USC, drunk and rowdy. The only saving grace is the good jazz music that's played here. Check it out! There's an outdoor patio, but overrun with smokers and more loud drunks.

Conning Chu
    3 Jul 05, 2012

One of the better swank bars in downtown LA. I'd be in love with this place if I was more of a drinker. Apparently notorious for some of the best drinks in town (particularly for whiskey drinkers). It's mostly too crowded and therefore take forever to get a drink. But, the crowd is good, the ambience is unpretentious but swank. My kind of place.

James Card

Epitome of a men's whisky bar. Speak easy feel, enough whiskey to drown every mule in Russia. After 3 years in LA, it remains one of my favorites.

Broke Girl's Guide

#BeTipsy

Cool bar downtown! I can get off the subway within walking distance of so many great places downtown. The best part is not worrying about drinking and driving, cab fare or valet parking.

Janice Walbrink for BrokeGirlsGuide.com

Harry Lang
    5 Jul 10, 2014

Over 100 brands of whiskey, scotch, bourbon and rye...what's not to love?

Recommended for:Local CultureTrendstersNightlife Lovers
  • Seven GrandAmbassadorPro 2014
    michere
    4 May 25, 2014

Really cool place with cool vibe.

There's pool tables and really good whiskey dish selections.

Recommended for:Nightlife Lovers
    Ish Zendejas
    5 Aug 26, 2013

Improv jazz and an old fashion is my regular tuesday night at this place.

Recommended for:Family TravelersBackpackers

1,734 people visited Seven Grand

Whiskey galore is what you will find at Seven Grand in Les Angeles. Take your pick of more than 300 whiskey brands. Choose from a hefty list of Wheated Bourbon or Scotch Single Malt. The Irish-inspired, deep red and black walls and furniture create a relaxing ambiance. You can enjoy the whiskey bar with a signature Makers Mark Cigar. There’s a host of other drinks on the menu. You can schedule ... read more
exclusive tastings or take part in Seven Grand’s monthly tastings. Experience Happy Hour in a different light at Seven Grand in downtown LA.

The Standard Downtown LA