I'm asking for help again - for some more local things to do for Rome, Florence and Venice. I'm all set for the major sights, museums and churches that I would like to check out, but I would love to have some local stuff that's unique and fun to do in these cities that's local and awesome. Preferrably not shopping [Boyfriend would die], but crafts and arts shops are okay.
Trip Plan Details
- Finnegan's Irish PubVia Leonina 66, Rome 00184, Italyrecommended Finnegan's Irish PubBelieve it or not... who would have thought about stumbling into an Irish pub... in Italy... mere blocks from the Colosseum?! It's actually a pretty spot on themed pub. And I have to say the food, the ... read morebeer and the prices are right up there! It's down a little alley, but if you're in the area and looking for something a little different, this would be it! And in case you want to catch a football/soccer game :).Comment.7 months ago. Report
- Julius Ceasar PubVia Castelfidardo, 49, Rome, Province of Rome, Italyrecommended Julius Ceasar PubThis is actually a pretty chill, laid back bar. I'm only speaking of the bar area, not the B&B. They make really good kamikazee's, or any mixed drink rather. That's more their specialty than beer. ... read moreIt's darkly lit, and not too loud, but not quiet enough that you hear aeveryone else. There's no dancing, but there is light music playing. Like I said, it's a great place to relax and have a conversation..Comment.7 months ago. Report
- Flor GelateriaVia Cavour 337, Rome 00184 Italy
- Caffe del QuirinaleVia XXIV Maggio 49 Roma
- Caffè Canova - TadoliniVia del Babuino, 150/a, 00187 Rome, Italyrecommended Caffè Canova - TadoliniService was a bit dodgy and they were out of most food items by the evening, but fabulous location for amazing cocktails amid the sculptures. Pretty camp but fun! Have coffee or tea among the statues! ... read more
- Ai Tre ScaliniVia Panisperna 251, 00184 Rome, Italyrecommended Ai Tre ScaliniOne of my favorite wine bars in Rome, well-priced and fun, with great food.Julia P
Sharon, please ignore the restaurant on Piazza Navona with the similar name. Do NOT eat on Piazza Navona! This is the right address for Ai Tre Scalini, which is a great place to eat and drink in Monti.
- Libreria Caffè BohemienVia degli Zingari 36, 00184 Rome, Italyrecommended Libreria Caffè BohemienIn Piazza degli Zingari, this wine bar/cafe/art gallery is gorgeously run by the Calabrian Margherita, an independent woman business owner who works her tail off and has a great wine list. The crowd ... read moreis a nice mix of expats and Italians. Rotating art exhibitions add to the fun.Recommended for:LGBTJulia P
Great spot for drinks - really friendly, the owner is awesome, I used to hang out here all the time.
- Galileo Science Museum Piazza dei Giudici 1, Florence 50122 Italy
- Boboli GardensPiazza Pitti 1, Florence 50125 Italyrecommended Boboli GardensGreat way to spend the afternoon. Liked it better than the Pitti Palace even. Just don't go in expecting French gardens or you'll be as disappointed as some of the visitors we overheard.Recommended for:
- Osteria dè BenciVia dè Benci, 13, 50122 Florence Province of Florence, Italyrecommended Osteria dè BenciAmazing local Tuscan restaurant. Had fabulous rabbit. Also known for its 'drunk spaghetti' and impeccable service. Won't disappoint.Recommended for:
- Moro FountainPiazza Navona, Rome 00186, Italy
- Orto Botanico24 Largo Cristina di Svezia, Rome 00165 Italy
- Villa Farnesina230 Via della Lungara, Rome 00165 Italyrecommended Villa FarnesinaImpressive villa with some erotic frescoes and some interesting markings from the German occupation on the wall. We had a private tour so I am not sure what the public one entails, but I can't imagine ... read moreit would be disappointing. The art is wonderful.
- TrastevereViale di Trastevere, Rome 00153 Italyrecommended TrastevereOne of my favorite areas in Rome. Beautiful medieval streets, exciting twists and turns, great food. Sort of the Greenwich Village of Rome, with a lot of students now that John Cabot University has ... read moredug in. Plenty of good restaurants.
- Trattoria Pommidoro AldoPiazza dei Sanniti, 44, 00185 Rome, Province of Rome, Italyrecommended Trattoria Pommidoro Aldoreally good traditional Roman cuisine. I had boar sausage with pasta as a primo and then rabbit as a secondi. Good wine too. Definitely a hidden gem in Rome.D'Maris Coffman
- Betto E MaryVia dei Savorgnan, 99, 00176 Rome, Province of Rome, Italyrecommended Betto E MaryAmazing authentic working class Roman cuisine. You need to speak Italian to be happy there and if you wear a tie, they'll cut it off. But if you can hack that, it's a fabulous experience.D'Maris Coffman
Doesn't get more authentic!
- Antica Birreria PeroniVia di San Marcello, 19, 00187 Rome, Province of Rome, Italyrecommended Antica Birreria Peroniwonderful restaurant tucked away off the Via del Corso. Does amazing fettucini and steaks and sausages (served 'Roman style') of all sorts. Especially enjoyed the ox. Good bread as well and, of ... read morecourse, peroni beer.D'Maris Coffman
Would be a shame to miss this.
- La FocacciaVia della Pace, 11, 00186 Rome, RM, Italyrecommended La FocacciaWonderful ristorante with amazing mushroom pizza in front of the Santa Maria della Pace. Highly recommend their al fresco dining. Simply the best of a lot of good choices.D'Maris Coffman
Great for outdoor dining in warm weather.
- Ristorante TemaVia Panisperna 96/98recommended Ristorante TemaObviously there is great food all over Rome, but this place is a must go. The service and food is top notch. Vicenzo (operator) is a wonderful man who will make your trip worth coming too. We went 2 ... read moretimes in one week we enjoyed it so much. Things to try, Gnocchi, Carbonara and the lasagna. They usually will give you complimentary limencello and cherry liquor to end your meal. Definitely try this out.Derek D
Try out Ristorante Tema for a quality meal you will remember. Not only is the food great, but the service from Vicenzo will have you wanting to come back.
commented on this trip
In Rome I suggest you to visit Monti's neighborhood; there are a many design's shops; also it is in center of city.
I also suggest you to go to Eatly: it is a wine and food center. It is in Square XII Ottobre 1492; you must take underground B and stop at PIRAMIDE; there you can go to the Partigiani square exit and follow the signs. In Eatly you can buy and eat italian food and wine.
I suggest you to go to bookshop of Palazzo delle Esposizioni musuem; it is on Nazionale Street in center of Rome. There are many interesting books and gadgets of art. Very interesting also it is the bookshop of Macro museum in Alessandria Street.
- Cooking Classes in RomeVia dei Fienaroli, 5, Rome, Province of Rome, Italyrecommended Cooking Classes in RomeIt's hard to express how awesome this was without sounding insincere but without a doubt this has been one of the best experiences I've had through all my travels around Europe. Andrea is an amazing ... read moreteacher, able to tackle all your misconceptions about Italian food and give you real, practical tips for everything from how to peel tomatoes to how to make the best(alcohol-free) tiramisu ever. You easily make friends with the other class participants as you chop, whip and cook ingredients together. At the end as you eat your meal cooked by the class, there's such a real sense of not just accomplishment but also that you did something as part of a community of people who love food and culture. Andrea and Erica both have that ability to create such a great atmosphere for trying to new things. Ah, yes and the food is amazing!Recommended for:FoodiesRachel E.
Absolutely LOVED this cooking class and I'm not a chef by any stretch of the imagination (I managed to mess up Jamie Oliver's Level 1 brownies and all you had to do with mix ingredients together). So the fact that not only did I enjoy this meal but was actually successful in cooking large chunks of it? Miraculous!