Shin-Sen-Gumi Hakata Ramen

2015 W Redondo Beach Blvd, #C, Gardena, CA 90247

Jenn B
    5 Jul 23, 2014

Shin-Sen-Gumi makes ramen like how I had it in Tokyo, and for that it is my favorite in Southern California. You can customize your bowl - noodle chewiness, oiliness of the broth, spicy level, etc. Worth the drive!

Hanae
    4 Nov 06, 2013

My comfort fatty food on a rainy day. I like taking friends here if they never had shinsengumi.

Great energy and you can watch them make the ramen if you sit at the bar table.

There is always a wait if you show up around 6-7pm. They leave the menu out with an order sheet so you can save time when they seat you.

I always order half ramen because I try not to eat too much. I have friends who order the regular size and get noodle refills for under $1! I usually get soft noodles with less oil and the soup salty (so the noodles have more flavor).

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesLocal CultureStudents
    Natalie K
    4 Sep 07, 2013

I had the chance to finally visit Hakata for the first time during their anniversary weekend. The ramen was just $3! As you can imagine, the wait was a little crazy but luckily, since we were done with our morning hike early, we were able to come over 30 minutes before opening and put our name down.

The base ramen itself didn't come with much. I opted to add bamboo, egg, and corn so my ramen didn't truly cost $3. I also got the spicy miso paste to add.

The service was good and our food came out super fast. The broth is flavorful and delicious but it is a little bit too salty for my liking. I picked the "Strong" broth and less oil. It's definitely not my favorite ramen but it is pretty good.

They don't have different types of broth like most of the other ramen joints. It is less options but also takes out the additional decision making. I would highly recommend adding the bamboo and the egg. You can also add extra noodle for a little over $1.

There are also fried rice and some other dishes on the menu. My friend had the fried rice and really enjoyed it.

Ngoc Hanh Pham
    4 Apr 30, 2013

My favorite ramen place in Gardena. This place is always crowded, though, so be prepared to wait. You get to pick your own type of noodles, meat, vegetables, and broth. You just put your choices on a check-off menu that they provide. I really like the ambiance here. The waiters are really friendly and once in awhile they all say an interesting chant. I don't understand what they're saying, but I like how they have so much energy and make the environment lively!

Charlene Quach
    5 Apr 15, 2013

Really delicious ramen! It was my first time eating real ramen, and it was fun customizing it too! The menma (bamboo) and seaweed were my favorites. The atmosphere is lively and the staff are really welcoming! Right when you walk in, they all greet you, and the all bid you a goodbye and thanks when you leave. It's a pretty popular place as well!

Susan Lee
    5 Mar 23, 2013

This is a great place to get a big bowl of ramen to satisfy your craving. The pork broth is great, but even better with a little spicy miso added in. Don't forget the green onions and the sesame seeds. Be sure to save some of the broth so you can get extra noodles for just $1 more. I like to go for lunch because they have combos with the ramen, like dumplings, rice balls, or spam musubi. The lunch combo price is less than the dinner price of a bowl of ramen, so definitely worth it.

Lisa Kamei
    3 Jan 07, 2013

There are several great attributes to shin sen gumi which resulted to 3 stars. (If I could give 3.5 stars, I totally would!)

1) Service
    The workers at Shin Sen Gumi tries to incoporate Japan-style service where everyone greets the customer at once. Once you step in the restaurant, you're more than likely to hear all the workers shout out "Irasshaimase" and greet you out the door. :)

2) In shin sen gumi, you're allowed to choose the strength of your soup broth, amount of oil, and the softness/hardness of your ramen noodle. By doing so, you can create your preferred style of ramen!

3) $0.95 extra noodle. How can you go wrong with that? After you paid up $7 for a bowl of ramen, you can keep ordering as many extra noodles you crave for! Throw in some extra dollars and you can be a happy camper at heart. :)

Shin sen gumi also has various appetizers and side dishes. The amount is fairly small for the price but I must say most of the appetizers and side dishes are pretty darn good. If you haven't tried shin sen gumi yet, it's definitely a place you'd like to take a shot at. However, I've been to other ramen places that are better.

Ian Wang
    5 Dec 30, 2012

I introduced the guy below to this place since I've been going to it consistently for almost 8 years now. It was the first ramen place I was introduced to when I came to California and the food is absolutely incredibly. The ramen is delicious and you can choose to add various toppings from extra pork (chasu) to spicy miso and various veggies. Extra noodles are less than a buck and they often have challenges to see who can fit more in their stomach. Come here for lunch and get the spam lunch set (spam cakes with plum pudding between the rice) or if they're out, try their fried rice.

They open at 11 for lunch, and then at 5 for dinner, come early or be prepared to wait as this is one heck of a popular place for everyone in the area. Prices are fairly friendly ranging between 10-20 for a meal

Isabel Vergara
    5 Dec 20, 2012

The best ramen place for me! The place is almost always packed and there's a line outside but they have a sign-in sheet at the front. Just be ready to wait to be seated.
    The ramen. The serving is pretty big, noodles are perfectly cooked and the broth is just super tasty and delicious. One can add extra toppings which are priced separately. If you are still hungry and have soup left over, you can order another serving of noodles for a dollar! YUM!

Kim L. "Lady Boss"
    2 Nov 30, 2012

This place is a bit over rated by most people who are raving about it..I dunno why they are, but when I went there, the broth was not as flavorful as I expected it to be. The service was SLOW & they NEVER seem to have enough space to seat people. The noodles were just OK, nothing spectacular that I was looking forward to..not that fresh at all.. I've been to better ramen places in Asia..Their menu selection was VERY limited compared to other ramen restaurants.. they didn't even have green tea icream..common' now! =/
    I have to say that I'd have to PASS on this place..

Albert Qian
    5 Nov 04, 2012

I feel like to get a legitimate Japanese restaurant experience, you can either go to one of those places where they seat you and you sit cross legged while you eat, or you go to one of those places where the chefs whoop and holler with every new customer and completed order. This place is the latter.

The lines here are always long. If you want to get seated quickly, come before it opens or you'll end up waiting 5-20 minutes. When you enter, the chefs welcome you in Japanese (I have no idea what they say), and the menu is handed over.

I always get some sort of ramen, but the menu is relatively simple. You have your ramen, your rice, your tea, your appetizers and desserts, and new things are always popping up on the wall. The experience, I assure you, is second to none, and you walk out feeling like you stepped into Japan for a moment. As a NorCal resident, I wish they had one up here. I make it a point to visit every time I come down to visit.

Irene Choi
    4 Sep 22, 2012

Been to the one in Rosemead, been to the one here in Gardena. Shinsengumi is STILL my favorite ramen joint :D I really like their pork base broth. Probably one of the best noodles (Chabuya on Sawtelle has the best noodles IMO) and their fried rice goes so well with the ramen! I like to order the Ramen and fried rice combo with a side of gyoza and BEER!!! can't forget the beer :)

I highly recommend this place! If you like hakata ramen, shinsengumi is the place to go!

oh yea, don't get scared if you hear them yelling at you... they are just being polite in a very loud way! im serious!

Billiam Yapp
    5 Sep 20, 2012

Some of the best ramen ive had in los angeles. The shouting waiters and cooks give a nice atmosphere. The eating area is kinda small so you may end up sharing the bi table with other groups. The ramen itself is very good. I get hard noodles with spicy miso added. Their fried rice is amazing, i always make sure to order it. So tasty but so little as its usually a choice between ramen and side fried rice or a full order. One of these days ill make the big plunge and get a ton of the rice.

Billy
    4 Aug 13, 2012

This place rocks.

Forget about Orochon and burning your innards for some ramen.
    The staff is nice and friendly.
    The food is excellent.

There are tables for small groups.
    There is one big communal type table.
    There are traditional style tables.
    There is sitting at the bar.

And who doesn't love a big fish table.

You can customize your soup base.
    You can customize your noodles firmness.
    You can add toppings.
    Once you find your style. Memorize. and Repeat!!!

For all you pigs, you can add more noodles for a measly 99 cents.
    Not a misprint. $0.99.
    Nom Nom.

They have some combos: half goyza or fried rice, ramen, and a drink.
    Stop reading, get in your car, and have some ramen.

• Shin-Sen-Gumi Hakata RamenCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Audrey Lo "@GogobotAudrey"

So good! They have chains all over LA! I like how I can customize my ramen noodles and broth! Unique!

Kevin Cheng

Great ramen with very clean tasting broth. Lunch is a decent value but dinner seems overpriced. You can always order extra noodles for $1, which is great. What's also great is that you can add spicy miso to your soup which kicks it up a couple notches.

Verlisia

5 stars noodles, 5 stars booth, 4 stars toppings.

Why am I still holding out on a 5 stars review? I guess deep down inside I am still hoping to find that one ramen place where everything is just perfect.

I have to admit. Shinesengumi is overall better than any of the ramen restaurants I have tried in North Cal. Those amazing texture of their noodle just couldn't be found anywhere else. Nothing even came close. They used these thin noodles that were chewy yet soft and elastic. Not to mention you get to choose from 3 different thickness to suit your taste. I opted for the medium and they were great.

The tonkotsu broth was good but not the best I have had. I found it to be quite flavorful yet light. Very drinkable since it is not too thick or salty. I asked for the normal broth with medium amount of oil. Those who are used to the typical heartier ramen broth might want to try the strong broth with a bit more oil.

The basic bowl came with only green onions and two pieces of chashu. You certainly want more toppings in there. I found the chashu to be quite mediocre. Adding some flavorful egg and shredded seaweed but they were nothing spectacular either. The extra noodle ($0.95) is a great deal if you have a healthy appetite.

The restaurant seems fairly busy so expect a bit of a wait. Tables weren't the cleanest and sometimes it was difficult to get the waitstaff's attention. Ramen was made to order so it was served rather slow. A little price to pay for good noodle I suppose. I enjoyed sitting at the bar where you can just watch how they make your ramen. Pretty neat place I must say. Wish they would open a branch in North Cal.

Trinity
    5 Jan 10, 2014

Spicy miso, an egg and firm noodles is my usual order. Lunch and dinner sets are a good deal!

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesStudentsTrendsters
    WorldTravelGuy
    5 Feb 23, 2013
    Jorge Tan
    LGBT

Representing for Tokyo - hand pulled ramen boiled to perfection.

1,237 people visited Shin-Sen-Gumi Hakata Ramen