Going to Helsinki, Finland
May 23, 2012 - May 31, 2012
Who's on this trip?
Trip Plan Details
recommended PorvooPorvoo is a lovely town outside of Helsinki where a friend told us we'd get a little bit of a taste of what Finland is like outside of the capital. It was really pretty - lots of beautiful homes built ... read morein a traditional style, which is quite unlike a lot of the modern style you see in Helsinki.Recommended for:
recommended Fortress of SuomenlinnaI was here at the beginning of March when the weather was freezing, but it was still a fantastic place to visit. There were very few other visitors, which was a plus, but many of the restaurants and ... read morecafes were closed for the season, which was not! It must be truly amazing when the weather is warm, though I'm sure it is much more crowded.Recommended for:
- Tapahtumatalo BankUnioninkatu 20, 00130 Helsinki, Finlandrecommended Tapahtumatalo BankWe were taken here by an expat friend who lives in Helsinki. Housed in an old bank, this place is sort of an upscale cafeteria. The food was really good and there was a pretty wide selection of cold ... read moreand hot food (salad bar, breads, soup, etc.) The ambiance is lovely too -- it's a huge space outfitted with marble columns and a high ceiling. It seems to be very popular with the business crowd at lunch time, which makes sense. Oh and the bathrooms are really really nice.Recommended for:
- Helsinki City Tourist & Convention BureauPohjoisesplanadi 19, Helsinki, ES 00100 Finlandrecommended Helsinki City Tourist & Convention BureauIt sounds stupid to give a tourist information center a 5 star rating but this one is exceptional! They have so much information available, everything from free maps to pamphlets for neighborhood ... read morewalking tours to trips around the area along with free internet access and loads of brochures on just about anything (even coupon books!). Stop in and discover something new!Rachel E.
Get the pamphlet on the self-guided walking tour of the Arabia area. They have some great public art and really took the time to incorporate it into their everyday life.
- Temppeliauko ChurchLutherinkatu 3 FI-00100 Helsinki
- PorvooLönnrotinkatu 7 B, Helsinki, ES 00120 Finland
- KiasmaMannerheiminaukio 2, Helsinki, Finland
- Chez DominiqueRichardsgatan 4, Helsinki, Finland