Trip Plan Details
- Medusa's Taqueria1053 Main Street, Cambria, CA, United States
- Santa Barbara Shellfish Company230 Stearns Wharf, Santa Barbara, CA 93101recommended Santa Barbara Shellfish CompanyA great little seafood shack at the end of the pier that's been in business for decades. Watch the waves from the outdoor picnic tables. The lobster bisque really is all its cracked up to be, and ... read moreeverything tasted super-fresh. We'll be back!Sara Benson
If you walk out to the end of the wharf, you can have a bite with ocean views here. For sunset, head over to Butterfly Beach, the only west-facing beach in Santa Barbara.
- Ty Warner Sea Center211 Stearns Wharfrecommended Ty Warner Sea CenterGreat location on the Pier/Wharf downtown. If you are a tourist you will want to get to this location anyway. Great place to see what is in the ocean up close. Great touch tanks - you get to see the ... read morelobsters and local fish interacting in a natural way.Recommended for:Wolf Wigo
I hope you have a great trip - beach should be nice this weekend - maybe rent a SUP board and cruise around, should be fun! Take care!
- Corktree Cellars910 Linden Avenue, Carpinteria, California
- Old Mission Santa Barbara2201 Laguna Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93105-3611recommended Old Mission Santa BarbaraThe last time Gayle and I were in Santa Barbara, we decided to a "short" walk from the Fess Parker Doubletree Hotel to Mission Santa Barbara. We both refer to it now as the "Death March" since our ... read morescattered sense of direction sent us all over the hills, until I think we finally stumbled on the Mission by accident. We even stopped and asked for directions a few times, which didn't seem to help much. I think we also somehow missed the direction signs to the Mission that we later saw on our way back. At one point, Gayle looked over at me and said: "It's a good thing for you that this walk was my idea!" And seeing Mission Santa Barbara and the surrounding gardens and park land was well worth the time and trouble. You can't help but being awed by it all (the history, the architecture, the pageantry, etc.) regardless of who you call G-d (or don't). The Mission and the grounds are simply drop dead gorgeous. And afterwards, I guess we were physically (and spiritually) refreshed enough to walk further. So far in fact, that we ended up at Brophy Bros (on the water) for dinner.Eric Brink
Worth the walk!
- McConnells Ice Cream of Santa Barbara201 West Mission Street, Santa Barbara, CArecommended McConnells Ice Cream of Santa BarbaraGayle and I stopped by on the way back to the hotel from dinner. At a distance, McConnell's looks like a long established neighbourhood institution. And it probably is. There was a short line outside ... read morethe door and happy families eating their ice cream or frozen yogurt outside on this nice warm evening. The service was also prompt, helpful, and friendly. What took us by surprise was the quantity served. Gayle's "piled high" medium cup of frozen yogurt would have been XXL anywhere else and my one scoop of a most delicious Brazilian Coffee Chip ice cream was perhaps 1/3 too much in quantity. Gayle and I also enjoyed her custard yogurt, which vaguely reminded my of Leon's in Milwaukee. The selection of both frozen yogurt and ice cream is also impressive, but the next time we'll push for kid size portions.Recommended for:Family TravelersEric Brink
Nothing like a good cone after a walk.
- Brophy Brothers119 Harbor Way, Santa Barbara, CA 93109recommended Brophy BrothersChowder to die for and it's definitely worth the wait. It's crowded with mostly locals as far as I can tell and the view is wonderful. Our fish entree was also excellent. The service was friendly and ... read morevery attentive. The only downside is that it is really noisy and hard to carry on a conversation. Definitely worth a return trip.Recommended for:Eric Brink
Iconic Fish Restaurant
- Bella Vista1260 Channel Dr, Montecito, CA 93108
- Babcock Winery & Vineyards5175 E Highway 246, Lompoc, CArecommended Babcock Winery & VineyardsThis is a very unassuming little winery - it shares a driveway with Melville next door and you walk past all the winemaking equipment on your way into the tasting room. Don't let that fool you - they ... read moremake some of my favorite wines from this area. The winemakers and people in the tasting room are very friendly and knowledgeable.Recommended for:Traci
you can't go to Santa Barbara and not do some wine tasting! This is one of my favorite wineries, on par with some of my favorite Napa wines!
- Mac's Fish & Chip Shop503 State Street, Santa Barbara, CArecommended Mac's Fish & Chip ShopIt's named for the fish & chips (and that is what got them featured on the Food Network), but the real killer dish here is the southern fried chicken. Don't get me wrong, the fish & chips are great. ... read moreThe fried chicken however, is AMAZING. It is seriously the most flavorful fried chicken I have ever had -- and bonus points for the fact that they de-bone it so you don't have to deal with the bone (don't worry, it isn't the least bit dry even though there is no bone). I will be back whenever I pass through Santa Barbara!Recommended for:Traci
you didn't mention food -- but i am obsessed with the fried chicken here :)
- Pfeiffer BeachOff Highway 1 on Sycamore Canyon Road, Big Sur, CA 93920
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carpinteria5606 Carpinteria Avenue, Carpinteria, CA 93013
- Cabo's Baja Grill & Cantina5096 Carpinteria Ave, Carpinteria, CA 93013
- Arigato Sushi1225 State St, Santa Barbara, CA