Sofitel Santa Clara
Tribes: Who likes this place?
What the scores mean:
These scores tell you how well-liked a place is in each Tribe. Gogobot Tribes are groups who share a certain travel style, like Family Travelers or History Buffs.
Which Gogobot Tribe do you belong to? Join now
- 98%Business Travelers
- 98%Luxury Travelers
Member Reviews (4)Write a review
- Sofitel Santa ClaraMember ofArt & Design LoversLocal CultureBudget Travelers+ 7Jul 04, 2012
Located in an old convent and cloister, the Sofitel Santa Clara gives you the feeling of complete natural harmony with its surroundings. The decor is so well chosen that the whole thing feels effortless, even if you know it must have cost millions.
- Sofitel Santa ClaraMember ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget Travelers+ 2Aug 28, 2013
Although I didn't stay at the Sofitel in Cartagena, I did visit the interior of the place several times because they were a good place to get advice on tours and transportation around Cartagena. The hotel is set in a lovely 17th century colonial building. Plus, there's a strong likelihood you'll encounter wild toucans roaming around the hotel.Recommended for:
- Sofitel Santa ClaraMember ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsFoodies+ 4Jul 04, 2012
This is a lovely property. The entrance and courtyard of the main building are incredible. It is great to stay in a "luxury" property without feeling like you've had to make a trade off vs. staying somewhere local or authentic.
We stayed in a "luxury" room during the New Year's holiday period. The room itself was very small and not very distinctive. In and of itself not a reason to choose or avoid the property. In retrospect, I would have paid extra for a suite in the historic part of the building. We caught a glimpse of these and they appeared to be quite nice.
This hotel did not live up to its $500 USD per night price tag during New Year's. The problems that we had include:
- small and lacked distinction
- very musty (though they did spray with vanilla which helped a little)
- had a roach (but this could happen anywhere that is warm)
- very loud because pool is in the middle of the courtyard. The hotel also had an ear splitting concert that played until after 2 a.m.
- reservationist made multiple mistakes with our original reservation -- it is important to be diligent, read everything, and follow-up (these were all corrected without hassle but they were a problem)
- restaurant / courtyard service was terrible -- inflexible, multiple mistakes made with orders, very very slow
- concierge was untrained / uninformed and was either unwilling or unable to make recommendations for New Year's outside of the hotel
- bellman misplaced our luggage when we arrived, actually placed it in another guest room
Although it might be tempting to blame the service issues on the relaxed culture in Cartagena, we found the service inside the hotel to be much worse than that offered outside the hotel.
My suggestion is to visit the Santa Clara to see the courtyard and then leave. If you are lucky enough to be served, you might consider staying for coffee or a mojito (they are delicious here). The food in the restaurant is excellent... if you don't mind waiting 15-20 minutes for a menu and then an hour + for your food (even when they aren't busy).
Dining options at Sofitel Santa Clara include a restaurant and a bar/lounge. Room service is available 24 hours a day. Recreational amenities include an outdoor pool, a spa tub, a fitness facility, and a steam room. There is a full service health spa on site. This 4.5 star property has a business center and offers small meeting rooms. Concierge services, translation services, and tour assistance are available. Guest parking is complimentary. Additional property amenities include valet parking, multilingual staff, and gift shops/newsstands.
There are 162 guestrooms at Sofitel Santa Clara. Bathrooms feature hair dryers. In addition to complimentary wireless Internet access, guestrooms offer phones, complimentary newspapers, and in room safes. Flat panel televisions are
- This property welcomes lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) guests.
- Business Center
- Fitness Center
- Room Service
- Swimming Pool
- Free Hi Speed Internet
- Data Ports
- TV In Room
- Hair Dryer
- Air Conditioning
- In-House Bar
- Meeting Rooms
- Parking Garage
- In-House Dining
- Family Rooms
- Car Rental Desk
- Mini Bar In Room
Excellent!273 reviews across the web.
- Guests recommend this as a luxury hotel.
- Guests recommend this hotel for business travelers.
- Ambiance96% were fond of the entertainment options.
- Service94% found the staff to be very friendly.
- GroundsPool was lovely, according to 93%.
- Hotel93% thought it was clean.
- Restaurant79% found the breakfast to be wonderful.
- Hotel Building76% said the facilities were very new.