Son of a Gun

8370 West 3rd Street, Los Angeles, CA 90048
Son of a Gun

• Son of a GunPro 2014

Good food. A lot of sour items... I don't know why? Nonetheless, it was a very tasty and interesting dinner.

First came the Boquerones (description: boquerones, pickled quail egg, asparagus, crispy ham). Ok i had no idea what boquerones was, I just knew it was some kind of fish because it was in the fish section. Hey, let's be adventurous!
    They are anchovies. They were not the salty kind (that I hate...) but more of a soft and pasty texture, and not as fishy tasting. The dish was kind of sour due to the pickled egg... which was fine, but I don't think I would get this dish again.

The seared octopus salad was good and fresh. Again there was a lot of acidity in the dish, but it's ok, it's a salad. What I liked most about this dish was the meaty octopus, and we had a good laugh about the little suckers falling off the tentacles.

The melon salad was the least liked item of the night. Imagine eating a vietnamese salad... fish sauce, mint, peanuts. but also with watermelon and cantaloupe. It was alright... but I did not particularly like this fruity twist on a vietnamese salad. The menu description was: melon salad, herbs, serrano, pickled shallot. Would you have guessed it would taste like a vietnamese dish? And I guess we did not realize we would get more pickled veggies with this dish.

The shrimp toast was really good. The bread was buttery and the filling was creamy and rich. The first bite was REALLY good. A good item to share with another person. It's quite small, but I don't think I would enjoy such richness all to myself.

The country ham and hush puppies was another well liked item. The honey butter melted into the hush puppy, and it was really good with the ham (that had the texture of prosciutto). I would recommend this dish. It seems very simple, but it's great for sharing and pretty good.

The fried chicken sandwich looked like the biggest item on the menu. The server suggested that each person get 2-3 items per person and share everything... but this chicken sandwich is pretty big compared to everything else. The bread was buttery, the chicken was crispy. It was not that special but it was good and filling.

Last item served was the pork chop. It was not that memorable unfortunately. Again there was pickled red onion. purple flowers. and mini little tiny zucchini... hehe

The service was good and they constantly refilled our water and gave us new utensils. It's a little fancy while casual, and it's a nice place to come try some new and different dishes. It seems they change their menu often: it's printed on a sheet of paper and I could not find some items that other reviewers mentioned.

Valet parking if you can't find street parking.

• Son of a GunPro 2014

Great farm to table seafood place. It definitely gets crowded here and you may have to sit at a communal table (if you are able to get a seat at all). The staff and customers are all pretty friendly. A great place for foodies with an energetic vibe.

The lobster rolls are tiny but they are packed with flavor and certainly worth a try.

Recommended for:FoodiesGreen TravelersTrendsters
  • Son of a Gun

I don't usually eat a lot of seafood, but when I do it's always a treat. Son of a Gun is a great seafood spot in WeHo, and their seafood dishes did not disappoint. I had shrimp toast - one of their specialties - and really enjoyed it, although it was quite buttery. The smoked mahi fish dip was one of my favorites, and the shishito peppers were really good as well.

What was kind of lackluster was the chicken sandwich; it tasted like a chicken sandwich you can get anywhere. The restaurant was also SUPER loud. I had to shout to make myself heard, and the hostess managed to squeeze us between two couples at the communal table even though some separate tables were open. Oh well. Drinks were great, and I'd definitely come back if I'm in the mood for seafood.

• Son of a Gun

A slightly hard-to-find gem between Orlando and Kings Road (on 3rd Street) called Son of a Gun is my new obsession. The place is packed with a cool, artsy crowd munching on dishes like the fried chicken sandwich (this thing will change your life), mini lobster rolls and linguine with clams. They get their produce from the Santa Monica farmers market every week, which might explain why the food tastes so insanely fresh and delicious. While eating, you could possibly be squeezed next to a complete stranger at the long communal table, but it adds to the allure of a small, cozy space. Think rustic-chic…Hamptons meets hipster. Go here for a stylish scene with tasty (and did I mention affordable?) food that you will dream about. Not even kidding.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesTrendsters

*4.5 stars*

Not as exciting as its big brother, Animal, but absolutely delicious nonetheless.

The prices are very reasonable.

-------------
    FOOD:

Shrimp Toast = Excellent. Oily, heavy, and so delicious.

Lobster Roll = One of the best lobster rolls I've ever had.

Fried Chicken Sandwich = One of the best fried chicken sandwiches I've ever had. Very moist and perfectly fried.

Smoked Mahi Dip = This was okay. Tasted a bit boring.

Salmon Crudo = Delicious. Everything worked really well together.

Uni Burrata = Who knew uni would go so well with mozzarella? This was exciting and tasty.

Oysters = Fresh.

Brussels Sprouts w/ Egg & Chinese Sausage = This was okay. The Brussels Sprouts were well-cooked, but tasted a bit strange with the overpowering Chinese flavors.

Pork Cheek = Good, but nothing exciting.

Linguini with Clams = Decent, but definitely not worth ordering here.

-------------

Son of a Gun is a very solid, visit-worthy restaurant in LA. Although I preferred the exciting ingenuity at Animal, Son of a Gun has a phenomenal Lobster Roll and a incredible Fried Chicken Sandwich that's definitely worth traveling for.

• Son of a Gun

Oh my gahhhh, I had the best shrimp toast and lobster roll I've ever had. Ever. The fried chicken sandwich was good, too, but I've had better (in SF though). It's all about the shrimp toast and lobster roll! The rest of the menu wasn't very memorable. If only this place was more affordable, I'd eat here all the time.

• Son of a GunPro 2014

Son of a Gun - love the name. I don't understand it, but after looking around at the decor, I'm thinking it's all about being a pirate and lovin fried seafood. Who's the Son of a Gun...well the Chef is, now gimme your bounty and I will share you my yummys.

It's tapas style, think small plates. Now look at the menu and know that a hungry man will down about 2 to 3 of those plates on his own. You can't fault the business model though. Make it fancy, serve em small and price em high. There is a certain pro way to go about eating here which balances satisfaction and wallet. After finishing a meal, I can honestly say that I dig this place. It wasn't as pricey as it had seemed.

-=-Foods that make a pirate go ARRRR!-=-
    shrimp toast sandwich ($11) - easily the best item I tasted off the menu. Great buttery shrimp crunch in every bite. if you must share, order these in 1per2ppl, but get your own if you are baller like that.
    lobster roll ($7) - just do it, everyone else is. The bread is super soft, lightly buttered, and the lobster salad on top is light going down but rich in flavor. When these come out, they are cute cuddly and pint size. I'd say get your own.

-=-Foods that make a pirate go ARRRR-GH, MY WALLET-=-
    fried brussel sprouts ($13) - wasn't digging this at all. The poached egg would be the highlight of this dish in my eyes, but that's not how it's supposed to be. The sprouts needed to do something in this dish, but they were lazy.

-=-Foods that make a pirate's belly feel full-=-
    fried chicken sandwich ($11) - not the greatest chicken sandwich of all time, but if you want the satisfaction of getting full, this is a must. When most of the dishes are pint-sized, this comes out like a big daddy.
    chips & dip - I could have done without these, but the chips were pretty crunchy-not-too-oily good. I would prefer these over the fries though, if you are looking for a tummy filler.
    french fries - I'd say pass on these. So generic, so whatever. But fries are fries and if you are like me, you gotta get some.

• Son of a Gun

My mouth is watering just thinking about this place. Definitely fun to come here during the week and sit down at the family like seating area.

• Son of a Gun

There isn't a sign/street # so you might have a little problem trying to find it. The restaurant is sharing a wall with 2 businesses but look for the black painted area of and you found the spot. You can park in the neighborhood before 6pm, after 6pm they require a permit so beware! The parking enforcement will not disappoint, they WILL ticket you!

The restaurant is small but quite cozy. You should make reservations if at all possible. They will allow half the restaurant to be reserved and the other half is for walk in. However, I noticed some of the non-reserved area are tables are communal so if you want to make sure you have some space, call in advance. They don't offer online reservations, you do have to call in.

lobster roll, celery, lemon aioli 7 each
    shrimp toast sandwich, herbs, sriracha mayo 11
    fish & chips, malt vinegar aioli 15

I won't go into explaining each dish but all three things I had were delicious. The shrimp toast may have been my favorite. Note that the lobster roll isn't sharable, you should order 1 for each person. The shrimp toast is small as well. Fish & chips had 4 pieces of fish and plenty of fries so I recommend it for sharing.

It can get pricey but the quality of food in fantastic and worth every penny

• Son of a Gun

Special guest chef from NYC Marcus Samulesson. Delicious fried chicken! Regular menu is great, seafood! Wine by the glass is pretty pricey though!

Awesome!
    The baked Escolar (BUTTER FISH) OMG, is all I have to say, as it is simply a fusion of orgasm in your mouth as the truffle mashed potatoes are simply divine as well. Did I mention their most amazing Clam Linguini Pasta? That is on another level too- its all good, and what takes this restaurant to another level of heights is that when you order a "Moscow Mule" they serve it to you in a Copper Goblet, what get better then that? Umm nothing, as that was the official best Moscow Mule of my life, in the best way to serve it...I also contemplated stealing it, but thats a whole other story-

1,019 people visited Son of a Gun