Square One Dining

Broke Girl's Guide
    • Local Culture
    5 Oct 24, 2013

#BeStuffed

For this brunch spotlight, we have chosen a longtime favorite of ours in Hollywood: Square One Dining, which has the feel of an old-fashioned diner (but with amazing food instead of nasty food). Your hangover has met its match here with the fresh-squeezed orange juice and the breakfast sandwich. We are also huge fans of the coffee (from Intelligentsia!), the insane bacon, and the brioche French toast with vanilla whipped cream, which comes with topping options according to what’s in season. The fruit salad is also based on what’s seasonal, so don’t expect your typical bland grape-and-cantaloupe mixture. But honestly, you could blindly point at something on the menu to order, and it would be good. All the food here is fresh, local, and absolutely delicious, and the prices are perfectly reasonable. Another lovely thing about Square One is that if you order coffee, lemonade or tea, the refills are free, and really no one can complain about free refills. If you want some fresh air, we recommend sitting on the patio (and trying to ignore the huge Scientology building across the way). The only downside here is the wait, but with your first bite of brioche French toast, all negative sentiments will instantly vanish into thin air.

BrokeGirlsGuide.com

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesNightlife Lovers
    Re becca
    3 Apr 11, 2014

It was a perfect sunny afternoon and Brunch of course, was on my mind! I decided to try Square One Dining with all the extremely positive reviews Ive read on Yelp!

Right across the street sits the infamous Scientology building so , it might get a bit hectic to find parking and to avoid protesters but we were lucky enough to find street parking quickly right next to the restaurant.
    With only 20 minutes wait ( not too bad) and we were seated outdoors which was the best thing to do on a sunny afternoon!

I ordered the eggs benedict portobello with potato with a cup of chai tea !
    My friend had the steak and egg with 2 types of jam for his toasted bread and a side of bacon, a cup of fresh squeeze orange juice.
    to share we had a order of french toast.
    Hearty meal huh? We were thinking that this meal might be a bit too much, but, we actually were able to finish every single thing on our plate!

my friend was really satisfy with his dish! The bacon on the side is something I've rarely seen, with the strip cut so thick and juicy- it looked so foreign to me because every single side of bacon I've seen had always looked super crispy and burnt this was like something I've seen in a cartoon! His fresh squeeze orange juice was also the perfect drink to quench any thirst! Too bad the Bigger cup runs small and their small cup is pretty much a shot glass!

The french toast was okay to me until you add their delicious jams ( they brought out two different kind forgot the name but its from another restaurant) We literally killed everything because that jam was JUST THAT GOOD! It made you crave for more- it was not too sweet and had the perfect amount of tang and zest ..just YUM!

Soooo, my biggest disappoint was my eggs benedict, as delicious as everything sounded and looked it really wasn't up to par ...My bread was hard to chew and my eggs was barely poached! I just know i def had better benedict at plenty of other places! My chai tea was also just ehh too...

Jeff Ignacio
    4 Feb 02, 2014

Great little spot overshadowed but the Scientology center. Parking is tough to find but there are side streets with two hour limits. There wasn't a line so I was seated immediately, and that's incredible considering it was Sunday. Outdoor seating worked well on a cloudy day since they have a few heat lamps ready.

I ordered the oatmeal with candied pecans and maple syrup - delicious! The latte with almond milk wasn't to my liking unfortunately. A single egg and a pork sausage patty on the side completed a well constructed breakfast. Highly recommended.

Sue Lee