Story

201 Tooley St, London, United Kingdom

• StoryPro 2014

I tried several times to book a table at this first restaurant of British culinary rising star - Tom Seller and failed. I finally got a table for a Wednesday evening.

The food was exceptional. We had the 10-course tasting menu and it was a great treat for my palate. Before the 10 courses started, we were presented with 7 bite size pre-courses to wet our appetite. Though small, each one of the pre-course was artfully created. My favorites were: blood pudding with apple, razor clam with vinegar ice, and biscuits with fish mousse.

The first course was Tom Seller's signature dish: bread with dripping. "Bread with dripping? What is so special about that?" You ask. I had the same question. Turned out, it was genius! The candle that had been burning on the table was made from beef fat and now after 10 minutes of burning, there was pool of dripping on the dish below and we were supposed to dip the bread in the beef fat and enjoy. Wow, I was speechless.

Then we had 7 savory dishes ranging from onion and heritage potato to scallops and crab to lamb and foie gras. Each dish brought a new surprise and made you want more. Among the dishes, I love the scallop which had delicate flavor and the presentation was like a wonderful water color painting. The foie gras was also very special. It was prepared like a crème brûlée, with foie gras mousse topped with burned sugar. We were also glad that we added another course of beef tartare in apple. We had no idea what to expect and what came to our table was definitely not anybody would expect. It was a whole apple sitting on a pile of ice and when you lift the top, you found delicious beef tartare mixed with apple waiting to be enjoyed.

The we had our sweet endings. I love the almond and dill dish. It was really hard to describe this dish except these two ingredients were made into different forms than what we were used to and the two flavors were mixed to create something new and a great tribute to spring.

I absolutely love the food, every single bit of it. However, it would have been perfect if the services were better. We had several servers serving our table. One waiter was great, he was passionate about the food and explained the dish well. The others were quite unenthusiastic and omitted a lot of details of the dishes.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesLuxury TravelersTrendsters