Tribes: Who likes this place?
What the scores mean:
These scores tell you how well-liked a place is in each Tribe. Gogobot Tribes are groups who share a certain travel style, like Family Travelers or History Buffs.
Which Gogobot Tribe do you belong to? Join now
- 98%Outdoor Enthusiasts
- 98%Adventure Travelers
- 86%Local Culture
- 75%Family Travelers
- 62%Luxury Travelers
Member Reviews (52)Write a review
- Sugar beachApr 17, 2014
This is sort of a 'secret beach' in North Kihei, when I lived there, and one of my favorites, including KAM II & III + some Wailea spots and Baldwin Beach on the North side, close to the little town of Paia, which has probably one of the oldest Natural Food stores, on Maui.
1. First, some people here have already made some great recommendations, like Haleakala, the North Shore & Hana.
2. Second, your sightseeing really depends on how much time you are going to have. There is a huge difference between 4 days vs 7 vs 14 vs 30. This is something you did not mention in your request, but is probably the most Important fact.
3. The people that are doing ALL of Maui in ONLY 4 or 5 days are the ones in Red Mustang's driving crazy from one location to another, usually with the top down, while screaming directions, and sun-blistered. And when you hear the Ambulance, Yup, it IS usually one of them (I know, I'm a paramedic).
4. If you have 12 days or longer, get a comfortable vehicle, like a small SUV with lot's of room, in case you want to spend the night under the stars ... and there will be lot's of locations for that.
5. If you have only 4 or 5 days, stay in Kihei or Lahaina, as there is much to do and see there. Just keep reading all the recommendations and COPY?PASTE the Highlights for each specific location.
6. There is RUSH Traffic on Maui now ... and if you are staying in Kihei or Lahaina for only a few days, you will WAste a lot of time in attempting to See & Do Everything ... while Enjoying nothing, IMO. It is quite a drive from Lahiana to Upcountry/Makawao/ Haleakala, or to Hana.
7. For me, I found North Kihei to be a bit more Central, as Wailuku & Kahaluu are not really 'romantic' locations.
8. For Kihei Condo accommodations for Two, check out this site: https://www.airbnb.com/s/S-Kihei-Rd--Kihei--HI--United-States?checkin=06%2F07%2F2014&checkout=06%2F17%2F2014&guests=2&source=bb
9. Use the same site for Lahiana, Paia & Hana, if you are going there.
10. If you get a chance, go hang out at the 4 Season's or the Grand Wailea Resorts in Kihei/Wailea, as the beaches are awesome and you never know which Celebrity is going to slide up up next to you at the beach bar.
11. Check the local Maui Weekly for upcoming Events, bands & cultural happenings.
12. Never stare into a Samoan's eyes, unless you want to marry him, willingly or unwillingly.
13. Maui is like the Surfing & Snorkeling Capital of the World ... just about anywhere is good, but, beware of the ocean currents & Tiger shark's.
14. and oh yes, Live Aloha!
- Sugar beachMember ofOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget TravelersFamily Travelers+ 3Mar 24, 2014
I am a little partial to this beach as I live across the street. my favorite walking beach. You can walk for over 6 miles on this beach. its a popular beach for all water sports kayaking, windsurfing, paddling both sup and big boat. Simply unmatched on Maui for potential. like I said I am partial..
- Sugar beachMar 24, 2014
Located across from our condo... Sugar Beach golden sand stretches along North Kihei providing you with beautiful views for a sunset walk or a refreshing jog in the morning. The water is usually very calm and great for kids. Take a walk down to the Kihei Canoe Club or grab a coffee and treat at the Sugar Beach Bake Shop.
- Sugar beach
- Sugar beachFeb 03, 2013
If you want privacy with no kids or massive amounts of people this is the beach for you. Apparently most tourists don't realize this beach exists b/c no one goes there. Maybe b/c the surf isn't very good to play on but so what. This is the place to be to relax I would have to say. Huge beach. Amazing views. Must go!