SUGARFISH | Downtown

Đảm Thân
    4 Feb 03, 2014
    Hanae
    3 Jul 16, 2014

Finally got to try the famous sushi place during dinela!

::For $35 I got the following::
    -edamame
    -Tuna sashimi with ponzi: was delicious
    - salmon and albacore sushi: salmon wasn't memorable but the albacore was amaaaazing.
    - halibut, scallop and yellowtail sushi: scallop had a unique citrus and subtle spiciness to it, which I loved.
    - Toro and blue crab handrails - felt like fillers

We also tried albacore belly but it wasn't as amazing as the regular one.

Overall it was delicious, but not something I'll go crazy over.

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury TravelersTrendsters
    Morison Woo
    5 Jun 12, 2014

This place serves by far the best Sushi/Sashimi I have ever had. And I thought I've had good sushi, but this proved to me that there are better sushi out there. I ordered their Trust Me Combo. It came with Edamame (peas), Tuna Sashimi, Albacore Sushi, Salmon Sushi, Yellowtail Sushi, Toro Hand Roll, and a blue crab hand roll. They were all really really good. How did I differentiate this quality over the other ones? The sashimi basically melts in your mouth!! I literally didn't even have to chew. Just swish it around in your mouth and it melts away. And the sauce/flavoring that they used complimented it perfectly!

Service was great. The waitress even joked around with us, which was fun. Definitely a place to take someone on a date! Pretty dim and romantic environment. They have a valet in front, or just go park on the street if you can find meter parking, usually free after 8pm. Before that, it is 3 bucks an hour. They have multiple restaurants throughout LA, and i heard they just opened another one 4 weeks ago. So go check them out if you haven't already!

Recommended for:FoodiesTrendsters
    Re becca
    2 Apr 16, 2014

Came here yesternight for my best friends bday dinner!
    They take no reservation and do not do anything special for bday so put that as a side note for future visits!

It was ridiculously busy inside that we had to flag down our server a total of 6x! Couple of times to take our orders and bring out our food and a good amount of the time was to ask for our bill that other server took her job.
    lucky for her service charges were already included in her bill...-__-

My best friend got the "trust me" meal and i got the Cucumber roll (only veggie dish they had) !
    best friend really enjoyed his meal and the bill came out to be quite reasonable.

Verlisia
    4 Feb 04, 2014

Simple formula, fluidly executed.

Sugarfish is a no-brainer choice by for a quick sushi meal any time of the week, Sunday lunch included. Branded with the name of a celebrity chef, there is no doubt this restaurant chain devises some clever marketing gimmicks. The so called 'trust me' option is no real omakase but a mere set menu. That could be quickly forgiven in the name of good food with a more than reasonable price tag.

Even the deluxe 'trust me' features rather common fish selection but the quality is good. Sushi rice was prepared with care. Food was served as soon as it is ready and every single piece was at the right temperature. Nothing was too hot nor too cold. Sushi rice was as close to body heat as it could get. And the seaweed on the rolls? Perfectly crisp. It is not very often to get this kind of quality on table service.

The best part? You can get a very satisfying meal with no more than $40. The portion is just right. Don't worry about having to go home hungry.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesTrendsters
    Erin K
    5 Oct 16, 2013

Sugarfish in downtown LA is a no frills kind of place. They instruct you not to dip the sushi in additional soy sauce if its already accompanied by a special sauce, and they don't offer California rolls, Avocado rolls, or any sushi that has, what they deem to be, "unnecessary" ingredients. But if you're turned off by the apparent pretentiousness of this place, you'll forgive them as soon as the food comes out. This is fantastic sushi. And for someone who doesn't like sashimi, they serve fantastic sashimi as well. The rice is part of what makes the food so great - firm and warm and slightly sweet. The fish doesn't taste overly fishy, everything is fresh, and the seaweed is as crisp as can be. And when it's done...it's done. There is no dessert menu. You eat, you pay, you leave with a belly full of some of the tastiest sushi ever.

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury Travelers
    Alice Ly
    3 Jun 21, 2013

It was my fault that I coincidentally watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi on Netflix the night before.

I came in thinking, AWESOME, I'm going to pretend this is Jiro's place minus the cost + travel!

I left feeling very disappointed.

**PARKING** Avoid the $6 valet in front. Go to the parking structure on Grand, just past 7th located on the right. It'll be $3 after restaurant validation.

We got there at 7:30 on a Saturday, and only waited 10 minutes for a table since they require everyone to be present before they seat you.

**FOOD** We got 3 Trust Me ($30) and 1 Nozawa ($40)

Trust Me includes
    ----------------------------
    Organic Edamame - This was OK. I'm not fond of cold edemame.

Tuna Sashimi - This was cut in small chunks and doused in ponzu. Cannot tell quality of fish due to the ponzu drowning.

Albacore Sushi (2 pieces) - I've never been a huge albacore fan because of ponzu
    Salmon Sushi (2 pieces) - Buttery
    Yellowtail Sushi (2 pieces - Good
    Halibut Sushi (2 pieces) - Good
    Toro Hand Roll - A small roll but good
    Blue Crab Hand Roll - A small roll but since it was rich, just enough

Nozawa includes above +
    -----------------------------
    Snapper (2 pieces) - didn't try this
    Daily Special - Halibut chunks in ponzu - dude again with the ponzu?

$2 for Hot Green Tea

You'll notice immediately that they serve warm rice here. Which is fine, since the Jiro film said it SHOULD be served at body temperature. However, it makes the rice very mushy, especially the part when it's right underneath the fish. I didn't like the texture.

I'm also not a fan of using ponzu so much. In my Trust Me, there were 2 dishes with it, and in the Nozawa, there are 3. I don't think having ponzu as a starting dish, sets my palate up for the remaining as my tastebuds are already ponzu'd out.

Without sushi chefs on the floor (they work in the kitchen out of sight), I feel they can't gauge the speed in which we were eating. Very often, right when the last piece goes into our mouths, the dish will get whisked away and a new one will be there. This isn't considered efficient, it just feels rushed.

Plus, whenever we asked for a tea refill. instead of taking 2 cups at a time to the kitchen, they took them 1 at a time. Really? Sometimes they'd forget they need to refill the others too when obviously, if you just LOOKED AT THE CUPS, you can see they need refilling!

The restaurant itself is a modest size with modern decor but being in Downtown LA, the environment strips the "authentic" sushi place feel. It's very loud inside, and... well... trendy.

They will add a 16% service charge to your bill on top of the tax, so your tip is already figured out.

Overall, I can't tell if the fish was fresh or not, due to ponzu, + the mushy rice. It jumbles all the flavors and texture together, which makes a very confusing dining experience.

I'd personally go to the mom & pop type sushi joints, but if you have a fancy date, this place will fit the bill. And you can walk across the street for Bottega Louie macarons! Woo!

Jessica Y.
    4 Feb 02, 2013

Maybe I just expected "good sushi" to never have frills and sauce - all I require is a simple cut of fresh fish, a little wasabi, and rice. That's really all i want?
    But no, Sugarfish smashed my hatred for sauced-up sushi, where they add flavor to simple nigiri + the texture of warm sushi rice to create the art of melting (in my mouth); oh, while soy sauce is not recommended.

- 3 set combos (course meals) to choose from: Trust Me Lite, Trust Me, and Nozawa.
    We opted for Trust Me and we weren't disappointed in the nigiri portions or the overall price; edamame was also included per person.

- Blue crab roll was my fav of the night

- Some rules: No reservations (first come first serve), all guests must be present to be seated. Gratuity is included.

So in perspective, every detail -even down to the calories- was put into thought for the minimalistic plates for the courses. The sauce didn't mask the quality of the fish and hey, even the wasabi tasted really creamy, rich, and not as spicy as its generic contender.
    Sugarfish's decor is very modern, while staying comfortable.

Solid sushi spot in DTLA, but minus one star because I still prefer sauce-less sushi.

Vincent Mao
    4 Oct 25, 2012

Had to try the downtown location after being such a loyal follower of Nozawa's in Studio City. I am sad that Nozawa has stepped down from the sushi bar and will miss him giving me the evil eye peaking at my cellphone in his restaurant. However, I am glad to hear that he is still involved with operations of Sugarfish.

It is about a 25-35 minute wait here primetime on a Saturday night. Not too bad considering other spots on the weekend. I had the Trust Me combination and my company had the Trust Me light. They opened up with two plates of edamame to get the gastric juices flowing. Next came the tuna in ponzu sauce with scallions. Very yummy tuna not drowning in ponzu as some places do. The rest of my experience included albacore, salmon with sesame seeds, yellowtail, halibut sushi. I was so stuffed I had to take the rolls to go! Overall fish quality was good but not melt in your mouth foodie foodgasmic moments like I've had at Nozawa's. However, the real winner of the night was the al dente warm rice. Perfectly cooked to perfection!

Flavors for all the dishes were complemented very well with the Ryo Sake. The service was superb and I appreciated the server constantly checking in to make sure everything was tasting as it should. My taste buds will be looking forward to all your other Sugarfish locations Chef Nozawa!

Laura S
    3 Sep 14, 2012

Came here for the DINELA menu tasting but ended up not doing the DineLA thing because we noticed... we would only be saving 25 cents with the meal versus ordering their other taste menus.

WAIT TIME:
    We made an reservation for six and everyone was there but we had to wait because our table wasn't ready... for 40 minutes. Yes, I timed it. If we didn't make reservations, I'd understand. So I timed it. They were really apologetic, so no worries. They also provided us with free Spanish mackerel (a piece for each of us). So that was nice.

DINELA MENU: $35
    * Organic Edamame
    * Tuna Sashimi
    * Albacore Sushi (2 pieces)
    * Salmon Sushi (2 pieces)
    * Yellowtail Sushi (2 pieces
    * Halibut Sushi (2 pieces)
    * Scallop Sushi (2 pieces) (Individually, this would be about $4.95)
    * Toro Hand Roll

* Toro Hand Roll - good
    * Blue Crab Hand Roll - good
    But I was STILL hungry. I ate my friend's food too. -_-

DINE LA MENU SAVINGS: $0.25
    So we just got the Trust Me.

SERVICE:
    Fine. They gave us a mackeral for waiting. Took awhile to get the check tho.

PARKING:
    Bodega Louie's parking is $5-7
    Parking lot nearby is $4
    Street parking (good luck)

AMBIANCE:
    The lights got lower as the night went on so... sexy? haha it's good for a date night.

OVERALL:
    This is a busy place. Prepare to wait a bit. It's a high end place, so what do you expect? I just didn't like how the DineLA deal wasn't really a deal.

Risa Yanai
    5 Jul 11, 2014

I took my BFF out to Sugarfish for her birthday :) To make things simple, We each ordered the Trust Me Combo.

Organic Edamame
    Tuna Sashimi (Big Eye)
    Albacore Sushi (2-pc)
    Salmon Sushi (2-pc)
    Yellowtail Sushi (2-pc)
    Halibut Sushi (2-pc)
    Toro Hand Roll Blue Crab Hand Roll
    for $29.50

and ordered a bottle of chardonnay which went very well with our meal.

You can also make substitution if you are allergic to anything (or just don't like it... usually sushi chefs don't like making substitution)

For the taste and the ambiance? I think $29.50 is a pretty good deal. It's not the best sushi I've ate, but I can still give this place an over-all rating of 5 stars.

Service was also up to par.

Hannah Lee