Sunny Blue

2728 Main Street, Santa Monica, CA 90405-4008, United States

Tricia
    5 Jul 25, 2014

Sunny Blue's onigiri captures that savory umami perfection in just a few, fleeting bites that leaves you wanting more.. and more.. and more. Good thing Sunny Blue has so many options! The combo of sweet rice, salty, flaky seaweed, and savory filling all works together in each fresh riceball, whether its stuffed with spicy tuna, miso beef, or even the hijiki veggietables.

Sunny Blue also has side orders. I enjoyed some refreshing daikon salad and cucumber sunomono in between each bite of the different onigiris.

Sunny Blue is a quaint, friendly cafe on Santa Monica Main St. I would definitely come here if you're looking for a small, but satisfying meal.. or snack. Or dessert!

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodiesStudentsVegetarian
    Jaime Lehman
    4 Jul 15, 2014

Lately I've been getting into the bento mode. For at least a week I was furiously searching bentos, and bento recipes, and different bento combinations. One thing was constant - onigiri. My first introduction to onigiri was when I was a little girl, and a Japanese family moved into our neighborhood. The wife would put pieces of hot dog inside those delicious rice balls, and we'd be in for a treat.

So, nostalgia hits hard, and of course I have to come here. I ordered three kinds: miso beef (SO GOOD), tuna mayo (put so much sauce on it), and one more that I can't remember but it was also delicious. Don't be afraid to go crazy - three came to a total of $11, and I was out the door in minutes. Filling, delicious treats that I highly recommend everyone try at least once in their life, if they weren't lucky enough to have a Japanese neighbor who loved to share Japanese culinary culture.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesLocal CultureTrendsters
    MzShanon
    4 Mar 22, 2014

LOVE the Spicy Salmon Omusubi and having free barley tea on a hot day really hit the spot!

Thanks to Binh T's recommendation, we decided to drop by Sunny Blue after hearing all the great reviews and I must say the Omusubis or Onigiris are really quite delicious! They are freshly made to order and each one costs around $3 -$4. I had the Spicy Salmon and the Miso Beef, and although both were tasty I definitely liked the Spicy Salmon more since it had more of a kick to it.

Spicy Salmon ($3.75) - Cured salmon with chili seasoning

Miso Beef ($4) - Tender beef and caramelized onions cooked with homemade miso sauce

Since you need to make a $10 order to pay with credit card I also ordered a small homemade froyo for $2.85. I had a sample of the high tea and was really blown away by it. It was refreshing and not too sweet with a light taste of tea. They also had other flavors like black sesame and a variety of fruit flavors.

Parking is definitely a pain in this area but there's a parking lot right behind the building which may get packed so your next best bet is to find metered parking on the street.

• Sunny BlueCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Audrey Lo "@GogobotAudrey"
    4 Oct 21, 2013

Omusubi (aka - japanese rice balls) are sooo delicious and healthy! The service is great and it's the perfect quick bite on the go!

Recommended for:FoodiesWellness
    Natalie K
    4 Sep 07, 2013

Sunny Blue is a tiny joint off Main St in Santa Monica. Parking is hard to find on the street especially on weekends due to its proximity to the farmers market. I would highly recommend parking in one of the self serve meter lots one on of the back streets.

They have 5 seats in the entire place so be prepared to take it to go. You can pick between about 10 options for the rice ball and they will make it fresh. If you tell them that you will eat it right away they will use hot rice. I would highly recommend that you get the hot rice and just eat it because it's so much better that way.

I had the mentaiko (spicy cod roe) and the spicy salmon and they were both really good. I especially loved the mentaiko. It is quite expensive at $4.25 for the mentaiko and $3.50 for the salmon. The worst part is the sides. I ordered a cucumber sunomono or pickled cucumbers, which came in a tiny container, and it was $3.

They don't accept credit cards unless you spend $10. Even though the food is expensive, they do give you free cold barley tea so you don't have to waste money on buying a drink.

King Kevin the VII
    3 Apr 25, 2013

(Looks at menu)
    Lucky Cat?
    0_o
    (imagines Nyan Cat)

Compared to the spammusubis I usually order, this place is so fancy! XD. As they clearly advertise, I think this is the only place that sells Omusubis around.

So I was curious to try this place after reading all the rave reviews about it. The moment you walk in, you will notice that it's a small cute place, with at most 3 chairs, so it's definitely a grab and go type of place. The owners and workers here were friendly and explained the different types of omusubis that I can order. So here was what I ordered:

Spicy Salmon- 5/5- Arguably, my favorite one here. The salmon was so flavorful and it blended perfectly with the seaweed.
    Miso Beef- 3/5- My sister enjoyed this one the most. However, the ball was just crumbling and the meat was a little bit too salty for me.
    Chicken Curry- 2/5- Similar to the miso beef, I think they over seasoned the chicken, which made it a little bit too salty for me.
    Lucky Cat- 1/5- Not a big fan of this one. I think the ginger is too overwhelming and just makes everything taste really sour. This thing gave me a stomach ache afterwards as well.
    Tea- 4/5- Awesome free tea while you're waiting!

Overall, I enjoyed the spicy salmon. However, for $3 per ball, I would recommend you order at least 4 of them to fill you up because I can finish one in 5 bites. Luckily, they take card here! I really wanted to like sunny blue due to the amazing staff and uniqueness of the dishes they make here. However, asides from the novelty, the food left me unsatisfied and craving for more.

Betty N.
    3 Jul 05, 2012

**CHEAP AND QUICK JAPANESE SNACKS IN SANTA MONICA**

Omusubi are Japanese rice balls with different fillings wrapped with or without nori.

They also offered frozen yogurt.

First omusubi experience.

ORDERED:

*HIJIKI ($2.25) - seaweed, shiitake mushrooms, green beans, carrots with soy sauce base - Didn't like the flavors, especially the mushrooms and seaweed. Too much seaweed and not really a strong filling. A bit on the bland side.

*BEEF MISO ($2.25) - beef with grilled onions an miso sauce tasted better than the HIJIKI, but it wasn't OMG good. I thought it was ok.

SIDE ORDERS:

*Edamame ($1.50) - soy beans $1.50
    *Tsukemono (75¢) - Japanese pickles

FRO-YO:

*THE WORKS (Yogurt) small $2 extra with combo - vanilla yogurt topped with green tea powder, azuki beans LOOKED interesting. Like an alien barfed into a cup. It tasted too sweet for me.

I did like the concept here.

WILL RETURN and try the other omusubi and fro-yo offerings.

May W