Sushi Gen

422 E 2nd St, Los Angeles, CA 90012

1,150 people visited Sushi Gen

Re becca
    3 Apr 17, 2014

I am so use to going to a sushi restaurant and all the chefs and servers are Korean.
    Its actually quite refreshing to visit a sushi restaurant where it feels authentic , Japanese food made by Japanese people..
    ( not trying to offend any Korean people, i personally believe my mommy makes the worlds best Sushi ever and shes Taiwanese ! )

anywhoot- I called in to make a reservation for 2 to celebrate my best friends bday. When we arrived it was packed with people, so it was a good thing i made that reservation!

My Best friend ordered the sashimi dinner and that plate comes with so many things he was overwhelmed with what was on his side of the table. He had a cup of miso soup, some noodle thingy, sauce, rice for the sashimi plate and some fried tempura.
    He said everything melts in his mouth literally and was full at the end of the meal, surprisingly, as it was sushi!!

I, the vegetarian- not to down play my side of the table, i had ordered vegetable roll and avocado roll ( a requirement to order at least 2 items if you just want simple rolls) .
    I wasn't sure what it was that made my rolls taste so good, something in it was extremely soft and yummy..even for a simple roll like the avocado roll.

o we also ordered Red Wine, they only had one choice for red wine, thankfully it was tasty and a creeper.

At the end of the night they brought out a green tea ice cream to wish my best friend a happy birthday! Glad they remembered it! Even though the options are low for vegetarians ..i was happy my best friend enjoyed his dinner which is why i am a Fan! =)

• Sushi GenPro 2014
    Mendel Lin
    3 Feb 12, 2014

Come here for the lunch specials and come here early or prepared to wait!
    Came on Saturday with a big party at 11:30 and first seating was already full (open sat 11:15)

Get the sashimi deluxe, it's perfect for 2. (If you eat a normal amount)

Overall Gen is good and well priced, but def would not wait an hour for it.

Also remember that parking is $2 for 2 hrs with validation during lunch. Be prepared to pay more if you have to wait longer!

Kevin Cheng
    5 Oct 30, 2013

This is one of the best traditional sushi places in LA, it's also very much like the Apple Store because people will actually line up before they open in order to get in as soon as they open. The yellow tail is the best around and everything else is always solid.

chiara cerini
    5 Jul 22, 2013

the freshest and most delicate sushi ever!! but they don't take reservation.. so be prepared to wait for at least 1h on friday night =(

Yulree Chun "@GogobotLA"
    4 Jan 31, 2013

Great quality sushi and awesome lunch deals. Beware though, the line can get quite long for dinner!

Roy Chi
    5 Jan 11, 2013

Incredibly fresh sushi at very reasonable prices!

Sushi-Gen is, dollar-for-dollar, the best sushi I've had in LA. The prices are average, but the fish quality is through the roof. Don't expect anything fancy or creative here, it's about the fish and ONLY the fish.

Sat at the sushi bar and had the:

toro
    amaebi
    uni
    hamachi belly
    snapper

All were phenomenal. My favorites were the Toro (of course), Hamachi Belly, and Ankimo.

Extremely crowded and takes a while to get seated, but worth every minute.

• Sushi GenPro 2014
    May W
    5 Oct 05, 2012

Did Sushi-Gen change their hours or something? I remember coming here and waiting in line until 11:30AM for them to open their doors. Now I see that they open at 11AM? Damn, I should have checked Yelp before eating here on Monday. I waited for 30 minutes for an open table. It was worth it for their $15 sashimi lunch though. I sat in my car and listened to music while other people braved the cold weather outside the small sushi restaurant.

I came here with my aunt and brother & we all got the same lunch special. Everything was pretty enjoyable and we even got a free 2012 calendar at the end of our meal!! I especially love their tofu side dish that comes with the lunch. And man, their bowl of rice seemed to have gotten bigger or something! This is a plus for me because I love rice even when I should be cutting back on it!

We got validation from the podium and paid $2 for parking. They used to comp parking for the first 90 min with validation, but times are tough so are now charging. I also didn't know this little tidbit before eating at Sushi-Gen again.

Oh yeah, they had a different host from the rude guy I dealt with the last time I ate here. Plus one star for that! This newer host is more...refined than the previous one. He doesn't seem stuck up at all. Yay!

A downer for me is that the sashimi lunch does not come with salmon sashimi. they give you a smaaaall piece of cooked salmon, but it's definitely not as good as salmon sashimi.

Irene Choi
    3 Sep 22, 2012

One thing that I didn't do, but I really should have done was to sit at the counter. This place is known to have a very long wait, so when we saw that a table was available, our hungry stomach went right for it... later regretted, but was too late...

When you go to a sushi restaurant and you expect good quality sushi. Sit at the counter. Trust me, it makes a huge difference when it comes to quality.

Anyway, counter or no counter, this place could be a little overrated. It's a little pricey for the quality. The way they cut the fish, texture and temperature of the sushi rice and the amount of vinegar in the rice was just not up to par. The fish quality however was not so bad.

Service was ok... once again, would've been better to sit at the counter. Next time I come here, I will sit at the counter and write a review again!

Catherine
    5 Sep 12, 2012

One of my favorite places to eat great quality sashimi! It's located in Little Tokyo off of 2nd and Alameda.

Sushi Gen's sushi is top notch, and people know it! They have a great deal for lunch, and there's always a line out the door for that sashimi deal!

John H.
    4 Aug 27, 2012

A great sushi place in the Little Tokyo neighborhood of LA. I've only ever been here for lunch and the reason is that they have a very good sashimi combo that hits the stomach, and wallet, just right. There is always a wait and parking in this neighborhood is difficult. You'll see lots of patrons sitting at the bar eating omakase. The staff are genial and welcoming.

Things to Do Near Sushi Gen