Sushi King

2700 South King St.

• Sushi KingCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Keane
    4 Jul 16, 2013

I'm always on the look-out for reasonably priced, authentic sushi joints in Hawaii. There are a few that I like, but most come off as either being way too expensive or having low-quality fish.

That said, I really enjoyed my overall experience at Sushi King. Their Chirashi lunch/late-night special was prepared well. The sashimi was fresh, the portions were good, and the seasonings on the rice were as appealing visually as they were orally. Service was friendly and very professional. The only downside was that the bar area we sat at smelled like old water. Still, sushi is so hit or miss in Hawaii. The island is proliferated with cheap, low-quality sushi. You really get what you pay for. Sushi King is a restaurant I would gladly return to.

Ample parking is available in the guarded lot outside. If you like animals, the Humane Society is nearby, giving you someplace cute (and smelly) to visit after your delicious meal.

• Sushi King
    Bill
    4 May 09, 2013

I bet you're expecting a detailed review of all the wonderful sushi options available at the king of sushi... but actually I've had very little of their sushi because I keep coming back for their lunch specials! The 'Jumbo Platters' specials (see photo of menu) offered during lunch and late night are terrific. I remember when they were a few dollars cheaper, but the value is still there today. My favorite is the salmon katsu on rice (pictured). As you can see there's a nice large breaded piece of fish, salad with some wonderful dressing, dipping sauce, your choice of 6-pieces of spicy tuna sushi, rice, hot tea, and pickles. I definitely get filled up. I presume a lot of customers are on a short lunch break because the dishes are prepared and delivered to your table at lightning speed. My friends have told me this shop has been around for years; judging by the number of personally tagged liquor bottles behind the sushi bar and the age of the sushi chefs (no offense!), it's had some history!
    -- Parking is free in a small lot just outside the front door, but it's shared with the post office and a number of other businesses, so it's often full. Patience usually opens up a slot.

• Sushi KingPro 2014
    Kelly G.
    3 Jan 17, 2013

Been hearing about Sushi King and was excited to finally try it, after finding out how close it is to my work out place.

On a Saturday morning we were the first to arrive and were able to quickly put in our order. Of course we go with the early bird specials and I opted for the Chirashi ($14.95). The selection was good, but still can't beat my favorite chirashi place back in California. So slightly disappointed, but was satisfied with my meal.

The miso soup was interesting - had a lot of vegetables in it. Since we were one of the few patrons, our waters AND tea were often refilled. Tried my friends shrimp tempura and it was good, not greasy but just a tad over battered.

Overall, not a bad place to come to eat. But I'm still on the hunt to find my favorite chirashi place out here in Hawaii.

432 people visited Sushi King