Tataki Sushi and Sake Bar

2815 California Street, San Francisco, CA

Todd C
    4 May 12, 2014

This place is awesome. The menu is all sustainably caught fish, and the options are unlike anything you would get at a traditional sushi place. The fish comes from all over, and the menu tells you exactly where and how the fish were caught. Good service too, and cute ambiance. Definitely will be back!

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesWellness
    Arlo Hemphill
    5 Mar 14, 2014

Sustainable and savory. I highly recommend Tataki when looking for sushi in San Francisco. Our ocean's are facing unprecedented challenges and an uncertain future. Tataki is leading the way in providing alternatives that are good both for the taste buds and the planet.

Recommended for:FoodiesGreen TravelersTrendsters
    Joey Brunelle
    3 Oct 07, 2012

Tataki is a better-than-average sushi place that's still somewhat average. You've been here before, but there's nothing wrong with that. The atmosphere is very cute, though - it's all bamboo-colored and wooden, including the utensils and some of the plates. It's probably a nice place to take a date for a casual evening.

Joanna Sun
    4 Aug 30, 2012

It's on fire! This is the extinguisher roll at this small neighborhood sustainable sushi joint. I also liked their tataki seared fish roll. Mmmm :)

Wanugee
    3 Jul 05, 2012

I used to live 2 blocks from this restaurant on California and Scott. So when I was in the neighborhood again, I was looking forward to eating here, because I had heard/read some decent reviews, and in the past there really wasn't that many good sushi places within 8 blocks of here.

So we came just in time on a weekend night, early enough to beat the crowds. The place is quite small, and it can be a very long wait to get a table, as they do not take reservations. Come on a Friday or Saturday night at 7 pm and you may starve before you eat. Maybe that is why all the reviews are so good, because people were famished?

Yes, they try to offer sustainable seafood. That is admirable in environmentally PC conscious SF. From their website:

"Our Mission at Tataki is simple: to showcase the beauty and delicacy of Japanese cuisine while respecting the sanctity and fragility of our environment. If we are to preserve the art of sushi, we must also safeguard the health and biodiversity of our oceans. With this in mind, we strive everyday to integrate the concept of sustainable dining into our menu options."

This is marvelous and admirable. In fact, they were excited to offer a new seafood that night because it was new to them (did it just get released to the sustainability list?)

But as far as the total restaurant dining experience, I was underwhelmed. I really can't put my finger on it. Maybe I have been in really good sushi-ya in Japan and had too high expectations. Maybe the lack of Japanese service staff didn't make it feel authentic, although our waitress was very good. Maybe it was the slower than expected service. Or cramped tables. I don't know what I would have thougth if I had waited an hour like several people did, watching us through the window, waiting.

The Chefs and co-owners are Chinese from Hong Kong, Raymond Ho and Kin Lui, with Casson Trenor, their "sustainability guru".

We orderd Edamame, which was a lot, and we finished it all well before the next dishes came. We also ordered sake, which they have a decent selection. The sushi was also pretty good, but not exceptional in my book. In fact my dining mate, an Italian American who hasn't had half the sushi experiences I have had, didn't think it was that wonderful either.

For me, a 5 star Sushi-ya,and I have rated many at that level on Yelp, so it is not that I am stingy or a complete snob, needs to have a certain "kimochi"....or .feeling about it, a certain je ne c'est quoi, where everything fits together as authentically Japanese, with really good sushi. It doesn't have to have fancy decor, fancy sake, expensive and unique creations, just a certain feeling. Maybe it is a feeling locked in my earlier memories, when my grandparents in Japan owned a sushi restaurant, or my mother's memories as she grew up surrounded by sushi..

Tataki is good, you can try it if you can wait your turn to eat.

But for me, it just doesn't quite excel for me personally. You decide for yourself

Margaret Seelie
    3 Jul 04, 2012

Sustainable sushi is the number one priority of Tataki sushi. They are one of a few places that only serve fish that are not under threat of extinction, and they make it taste great! With only a few tables there can be a wait, so get there early. They even have an entire vegetarian section on the menu!

Recommended for:Vegetarian
    Vivian Tero

A true gem. Delicious, affordable sustainable sushi in the quiet part of pacific heights.

Rachel-Lynne Canero
    4 May 08, 2014

379 people visited Tataki Sushi and Sake Bar

Moderate$$

Monday - Thursday: Lunch 11:30 am - 2:00 pm, Dinner 5:30 pm - 10:30 pm (Last seating at 10:00 pm); Friday: Lunch 11:30 am - 2:00 pm, Dinner 5:30 pm - 11:30 pm (Last seating at 10:30 pm); Saturday: Dinner 5:00 pm - 11:30 pm (Last seating at 10:30 pm); Su

• website:

tatakisushibar.com‎

Enjoy the beauty and delicacy of Japanese cuisine while contributing to the health and biodiversity of our oceans. Tataki is possibly the world's first sustainable sushi bar and, working with Fishwise, they seek to transform the American sushi complex into an ocean-friendly industry. At Tataki, you can have your fish and eat it too! Learn more about sustainable seafood through Tataki's partners: ... read more
FishWise - http://www.sustainablefishery.org/ Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch - http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/seafoodwatch.aspx?c=ln

Hotel Kabuki