Teatro Dell'Opera Di Roma
Member Reviews (1)Write a review
- Teatro Dell'Opera Di RomaFirst to ReviewJul 03, 2013
Used mainly for opera and ballet performances, the Teatro dell’Opera is also known, albeit to a less degree, as the Constanzi Theatre after the contractor who built it, Domenico Costanzi.
Neo-Renaissance in design, the theatre was opened on 27th November 1880 with a performance of Semiramide by Gioachino Rossini, conducted by Giovanni Rossi, which was attended by the Italian royal family. It was purchased in 1926 by Rome city council which also took over its management. Architect Marcello Piacentini, who was at the time entrusted to enlarge the building, added a fourth tier of boxes as well as a balcony and installed a magnificent Murano chandelier, one of the largest in the world. In 1956 Piacentini was once again asked to drew up building plans, radically altering the existing architectural style and designing the present facade, entrance and foyer, work which was completed in 1960.
Today the Opera House, renowned for its fine acoustics, can seat around 2,200 people.
Opera lovers should also absolutely not miss the summer season held in the enchanting open-air setting of the Terme di Caracalla (Caracalla Baths)