Temple of the Golden Pavilion (Kinkakuji)
Tribes: Who likes this place?
What the scores mean:
These scores tell you how well-liked a place is in each Tribe. Gogobot Tribes are groups who share a certain travel style, like Family Travelers or History Buffs.
Which Gogobot Tribe do you belong to?Join now
- 98%Spiritual Seekers
- 92%Local Culture
- 83%History Buffs
- 67%Outdoor Enthusiasts
- 63%Luxury Travelers
- 63%Green Travelers
Member Reviews (82)
- Temple of the Golden Pavilion (Kinkakuji)Member ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsFoodies+ 4Mar 02, 2014
The Golden Pavilion at Kinkakuji Temple is gorgeous. With the top two floors completely covered in gold leaf, with big reflecting pond in front of it and being surrounded by beautiful gardens it creates a picture perfect setting.
Some practical tips:
• The main photo spot right after you enter – from the front and the side of the pond
• Morning or late afternoon sun is the best for photos
• Try to visit on a sunny day
• It’s best to come here early in the morning
• 30 minutes is enough to see it (if it’s not too crowded)
• If you are visiting this site on your own (not as part of a tour), you can easily combine it with visiting two other famous temples (Ryoanji Temple and Ninnaji Temple) which are located within walking distance from each other. You can take a bus 101 or 205 from Kyoto Station to the Kinkakuji Michi bus stop, then walk to Kinkakuji Temple, then to Ryoanji Temple, and then to Ninnaji Temple. Try to get to the first temple (Kinkakuji Temple) at the opening time, so you can visit it before the tour busses get there.
- Temple of the Golden Pavilion (Kinkakuji)Member ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsFoodies+ 5Aug 05, 2013
Buddha bling! When in northern Kyoto, the Golden Pavilion at Kinkakuji is a sight not to be missed. The top two floors of this Zen Buddhist temple are completely covered in gold leaf and is absolutely stunning. The Golden Pavilion is surrounded by a beautiful garden sits on a mirror pond that reflects the building, so it makes for incredible photo opps.
- Temple of the Golden Pavilion (Kinkakuji)Member ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget Travelers+ 6Jul 28, 2013
The zen garden here is imbued with the utmost quiescence, and appropriate humility to balance the grandeur of the pavilion. Tourist railings covered in hand-split bamboo are a little distracting, a modern, albeit lawsuit-deflecting necessity. Would love to walk the trails "un-corralled" but c'est la vie. Amazing place, visit and meditate. Truly contemplative.
Made my heroin come-down that much easier. Don't worry, it was a passing phase.
- Temple of the Golden Pavilion (Kinkakuji)Member ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget Travelers+ 11Jun 22, 2013
Kinkakuji is a stunning gold temple in Kyoto, and a must see for any visitor to the ancient capital of Japan. Kyoto was for many hundreds of years the cultural capital, what with the sacred lineage of the royal court before the Tokugawa period. So for a long time, Kyoto was the spiritual capital of Japan, where the emprerors lived and bestowed their blessing to the nation, even in figurehead periods.
Being the ancient center of all fine crafts, the arts, artisans, and culture, this goldem temple exemplifies the refined glory of Kyoto and the roots of Japanese culture.
- Temple of the Golden Pavilion (Kinkakuji)Member ofLocal CultureBudget TravelersBackpackers+ 1Jul 05, 2012
The temple itself would be more deserving of four stars... I don't think that just because a regular temple is draped in gold it automatically becomes amazing.
However it has a great setting on top of a lake that contains islands and a beautiful garden. Pushes it up to 5 stars and a highlight of Kyoto, although I don't think it quite deserves its status as the icon of the city.
- Temple of the Golden Pavilion (Kinkakuji)Member ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget Travelers+ 3Jul 04, 2012
Winter, Summer, Spring or Fall. The Golden Pavilion is beautiful in any season. This may have been the highlight of my visit to Kyoto and is truly a must see. You will be hard pressed to find a better photo opportunity.
Hotels Near Temple of the Golden Pavilion (Kinkakuji)See more nearby hotels
Things to Do Near Temple of the Golden Pavilion (Kinkakuji)See more nearby things to do
Restaurants Near Temple of the Golden Pavilion (Kinkakuji)See more nearby restaurants
Vacation Rentals Near Temple of the Golden Pavilion (Kinkakuji)See more nearby vacation rentals
Aliases: 金閣寺, Kinkaku-ji , Rokuon-ji, Deer Garden Temple