Texas A&M University

Eric Brink
    • Local Culture
    • Outdoor Enthusiasts
    5 Jan 21, 2014

I'm a Yankee and an Aggie....

I came here to TAMU many years ago as a graduate student. My undergraduate degree is from the University of Iowa and I mistakenly thought that a Big Ten establishment had all the school spirit that I could ever want.

Boy was I wrong. If someone would have told me that within a few months, I would be standing up during entire football games, going to Midnight Yell Practice, not walking on the grass at the MSC, or experiencing great nausea every time I saw anything with a t.u. logo on it, I would have told them that they were nuts. I also got to partake in an old tradition of lighting my cigar off the old Bonfire.

And after you graduate, this is not your typical alumni experience. As Cory O. mentions, it's family and maybe a little cult thrown in once and awhile. I'm a proud member of the Association of Former Students and a proud owner of an Aggie Ring. And when I meet another Aggie, we often "whip it out" (and that's not what you think). And even though I also have a graduate degree from UC Berkeley, there was no question that I would cheer for the Aggies when they played Cal in a Bowl game a few years ago.

And even yesterday at the Albany (California) Target, I saw a guy with a certain orange and white head cover (with horns) on and I just had to comment to him about that t-sip hat! As someone once told me about Aggie Spirit, if you're an Aggie you just can't explain it and if you're not an Aggie, you'll never understand.

I too have my issues with Texas A&M. There is some racism, homophobia, and a more "established" political and religious order than I'm used to or sometimes comfortable. Yet, in various combinations, you'll find that almost everywhere, including the dark blue progressive bubble that we call the San Francisco Bay Area. And even after I have factored all those negatives, I'm still left with a solid education, a fabulous college experience, and a fraternity of former students that I am proud to be a member.

Carla H
    5 Aug 13, 2013

Whoop!! Don't miss a football game!

Pam M
    5 Jan 09, 2014
    Tammy M
    5 Sep 18, 2013

Description:

Texas A&M University is a coeducational public research university located in College Station, Texas, United States. It is the flagship institution of the Texas A&M University System. The sixth-largest university in the United States, A&M's enrollment for Fall 2011 was over 50,000 for the first time in school history. Texas A&M's designation as a land, sea, and space grant institution reflects a broad range of research with ongoing projects funded by agencies such as the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, and the Office of Naval Research.