The Butler & the Chef Bistro

155 S Park St, San Francisco, CA 94107

Panu
    5 Jul 18, 2014

Nice brunch!! They have salmon egg Benedict and also minaj ham egg Benedict. This place is kinda pricey but it's worth!!

Stephanie Romo
    4 Jul 05, 2014

This place has great food and great service! The Belgium waffles are so delicious. The Soufle of the day is also good but they give huge portions.

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureVegetarian
    Zaid A.
    5 Jul 10, 2014

Love this French cafe. Filled with amazing pastries and breakfast dishes and is situated right in the heart of South Park. Highly recommend everyone try the chocolate hazelnut Belgian waffles!

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal Culture
    morgan nguyen
    4 Mar 16, 2014

Great brunch spot at my favorite 'secret' park. South Park is a hidden oasis in the SoMa district with cute shops and great place to grab lunch or dinner. Parking is accessible with 1-hour slots around the park.

• The Butler & the Chef BistroAmbassadorPro 2014
    Kat Sun
    5 Nov 03, 2013

My friend's bf came to the rescue when we tried to find a place that was open at 9:30am for brunch. Wow! I didn't even know about this little area (South Park).

The exterior is cute and the interior is charming. Whew, we got there and were able to be seated immediately. If you have a group bigger than 4, good luck. The space is small and it gets crowded after 10am with the brunch crowd. I hear the chef has started working on a bigger space nearby. Yay!

My friend's smoked salmon eggs benedict was amazing! Served on toasted orhanic olive bread, not English muffins. Side of spinach salad too!

I LOVED my banane-miel Belgian waffle that was SO fluffy. I didn't even bother with the maple syrup provided on the side. The banana, honey combo was awesome and the toasted almonds provided a small crunch.

Food here is locally sourced and breads + pastries are organic. I would come back. The prices are great for the quality of food you get!

• The Butler & the Chef BistroPro 2014
    Travis Katz
    4 Jul 31, 2013

We had an amazing breakfast here. Its a nice little cafe right on south park, with a few street side tables overlooking the park. They had great coffee, and the food was amazing. We had a quiche - it was enormous, and the crust was amazingly light and flakey. We also had a belgian waffle that was fantastic. When we were leaving, we caught a glimpse of a couple people with the benedict - also looked amazing!

Yulree Chun "@GogobotLA"
    5 Apr 26, 2013

YUM! This is a great spot for brunch. The waffles are fluffy, eggs benedict is super flavorful and the croque monsieur is out of this world. My friend, who is a big coffee drinker, said their coffee is pretty great, too.

There is definitely a wait though, seeing as their food is bomb.

• The Butler & the Chef BistroPro 2014
    May W
    3 Oct 06, 2012

The Butler and The Chef is a cute little bistro tucked away on South Park next to Public Bikes. It's a quaint and authentic French restaurant that makes me miss Paris. I like how they used recycled street signs as their tabletops and how their menus have adorable designs.

Their onion soup was exactly what hit the spot for me the morning I went for brunch. I loved how thick the piece of cheese was and how it was all melted, waiting for me to devour. The crepe I ordered was so-so and kind of expensive, but the onion soup had already made my day. Oh, and I tried a little bit of their eggs benedict. I was not a fan of their zesty Hollandaise sauce...it tasted a lot like lemon and it wasn't what I was expecting nor what I wanted.

Our waitress didn't really come by to refill my water glass and I was getting thirsty towards the end of the meal. She did come by at the end to give us our check and then two small pieces of delicious truffles for dessert.

You can find 2-hour street parking on this unique-looking street.

Connie Pistilli

Don't let the chef scare you -- he's a very passionate French man who isn't afraid to speak his mind and tell you like it is! Don't even think about bringing in plastic bottled anything -- the sight of it will get him all huffy. He takes his green practices very seriously. And don't be rude by waiting for all the food to arrive and eat only when everyone's got their dish. He'll serve you cold food if you want it! That said, don't tell me I didn't warn you!

The food here is very rich. It's very French. So French, I often feel like I've been transported to a charming bistro in Paris. I love it!

I've had lunch here several times, and it's delicious. The croque monsieur is pretty heavy on the creme fraiche, so if you like that, you'll definitely enjoy the sandwich. Brunch here is amazing. I had trouble deciding between the Belgian Waffle and the Eggs Benedict. My friend and I agreed to share if we got one of each. The portion was huge, so it was perfect for sharing. I got the Belgian Waffle with bananas, nutella, and whipped cream. It was so good! My friend had the smoked salmon eggs benedict, which was served on toasted organic olive bread instead of an English muffin -- I love that! The Niman Ranch ham benedict looked wonderful as well. The crepes are also very good.

Really, there is nothing the chef doesn't serve well. He may be feisty, but he's a superb chef! Those French men have such strong personalities!

Bernard Moon
    2 Jul 04, 2012

Only went here once and it was decent. I had the onion soup, which was good, and the Croque Mademoiselle (baked turkey sandwich).

This isn't factor into my rating, but I liked the atmosphere especially since the weather was nice that day. I'll have to visit again to provide a more complete review. Next time I'll have to eat two sandwiches, and if my wife isn't there I'll order three dishes.

Joanne G.
    5 Dec 02, 2013

An absolute perfect morning for me would include: 1) Snagging the window-side table at The Butler and the Chef 2) A plate of their amazing French toast 3) Relishing their complimentary truffles for dessert 3) A quick go on the swings across the street at South Park.

Every time I come here I feel like I've been transported to some atmospheric little neighborhood in Paris, complete with seriously delicious food. Make sure to show up early if you want French toast since they only make a limited quantity each morning, and late risers will miss out. I also highly recommend the croque monsieur, easily the most sinfully delicious sandwich I've ever tasted.

David L.

cute cafe in south park (no not the tv show). the park itself is a bit dingy as i've seen some drug paraphernalia lying around and some folks loitering and pan handling, but that aside, the restaurant itself is nice. the croque monsieur is tasty but a bit rich. the french onion soup is good too and cheesy. service is good. our waiters have always had french accents. hours are limited to brunch/lunch. parking can be hard around southpark. try 3rd street.

Olcay Cirit

This place is packed on weekends because their brunch is impeccable. Best eggs benedict this side of the planet.

杰 王

4 Apr 19, 2014
    David Bloxsom
    5 Mar 25, 2014

673 people visited The Butler & the Chef Bistro

Monday 08:00 AM - 4:00 PM, Tuesday 08:00 AM - 4:00 PM, Wednesday 08:00 AM - 4:00 PM, Thursday 08:00 AM - 4:00 PM, Friday 08:00 AM - 4:00 PM, Saturday 08:00 AM - 4:00 PM, Sunday 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM - Evenings fo Private Events

(415) 896-2075