The Girl & the Fig

110 W Spain St, Sonoma, CA 95476

• The Girl & the Fig

This is a very popular spot located just off the main square in Sonoma. I've only visited at lunchtime, when we enjoyed a delicious cheeseboard and salads. The interior is traditional (though casual) in appearance, but there's one exception to that rule: check out the Barbie and Ken dolls pinned to the restroom doors...

The proprietors also run The Fig Café, up the road in Glen Ellen.

• The Girl & the FigPro 2014

Established in 1997. the girl & the fig opened in 1997 in Glen Ellen and relocated to its current location in 2000

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodiesStudentsWellness
  • The Girl & the FigPro 2014

After a long afternoon of wine tasting, many people recommended coming here for dinner so I thought this must be a good place. I also wanted to try this place after watching The Bachelor.

We ordered:

- Duck Confit = tender but on the dried side, they needed more sauce.

- steak = forgot if it was NY steak or Flat Iron steak, but they cook our steak well done when we asked for medium rare. Shame on them!

- tuna tartare = their special of the day, it was refreshing. The only thing that was done correctly.

Very disappointed with their food and their service. Never seen a place with bad hygiene problem. Flies everywhere and some half dead, stuck on the window. It was work to keep the flies out of our food. Overall, an unpleasant dining experience.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
  • The Girl & the Fig

We've enjoyed so many wonderful meals here I've lost count a long time ago. Always delicious, creative and thoughtfully presented by a friendly, knowledgeable serving staff. Buy any of their cookbooks at the restaurant and create some of their recipes in our gracious gourmet kitchen. Reservations a must. (Hint: Before you come to town, phone or email ahead for an assured reservation.)

• The Girl & the FigPro 2014

Really good food here. There is a balance of creativity and simplicity at this place. You can find lots of twists on flavors here and some classics. The food here is just amazing.

The store also offers amazing vinegars and other products as well. All worth checking out and trying.

• The Girl & the FigPro 2014

The Girl & the Fig is one of those places that I desperately wanted to love but can't justify giving it more than 3 stars.

The drinks, the appetizers, the bread, the dessert... all excellent. Service was impeccable. Ambiance was warm and very inviting. It was such a lovely restaurant that I feel sad not able to give it a better review.

What went wrong, you asked? Two entrees. One is the pork shoulder on the a la carte menu. Meat was tough. Sauce was way too salty. The other one is the grilled lamb on their plat du jour menu. The meat was very stingy and chewy. It wasn't overcooked so most likely something went wrong with the cut.

I really wish it was just an occasional slip up. Maybe I would return another time to see if I have better luck.

The cocktails were great and I can't believe how reasonably priced their wine paring was. I guess it is the wine country after all.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesLuxury TravelersNightlife Lovers
  • The Girl & the FigCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014

The scallop terrine is phenomenal here! Probably one of the best French Resturaunts I've been to in NorCal. You must try the moules et frites and flounder here as well.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodies
  • The Girl & the FigPro 2014

Right on the square in downtown Sonoma, everything this French bistro serves is seasonally fresh, chef-smart and beautifully plated. Tables inside this historic house are always booked, so make reservations. But the atmosphere is still chill, letting you unwind before/after a day of wine tasting around the valleys.

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury TravelersTrendsters
  • The Girl & the Fig

A fun day trip is to visit the historic town of Sonoma. There are wineries, the Californian mission is a great place to visit (kids love it!). This is a good restaurant right on the town square. A beautiful 40 minute drive from our home.

• The Girl & the Fig

One of my top ten affordable, casual, comfortable places for French food. To start with, order the pastis-scented steamed mussels drenched in white wine and garlic sauce. Next, order the top sirloin burger. It's delicious! For dessert, get the lavender crème brûlée. You will go home wanting more!

• The Girl & the Fig

This stylish but lowkey french restaurant always surpises and delights. Check out the back yard outside dining at night, or hit the bar for a drink with the Sonoma locals who crowd the bar.

• The Girl & the Fig

Great restaurant, good french flavors. Right on the sonoma square. Make sure you ask for an outdoor table!

• The Girl & the Fig

We stopped in right around opening and had a wonderful lunch at the bar. We were curious about the cheese and charcuterie plate and found it to live up to what we were hoping for. A choice between 3 of a number of cheeses we picked a cow, sheep, and goat cheese. The plate also had a wonderful fig cake, fruit compote and two types of mustard to spice up the basket of French bread.

• The Girl & the FigPro 2014

The Girl & the Fig is a wonderful brunch spot in downtown Sonoma that serves great flavors and yummy cocktails in an airy and bright dining room. They do many traditional french bistro fares such as duck confit, mussels and frites, and cured meats mmm...mmm...right. This is one of our favorite go to restaurants in the Sonoma area.

• The Girl & the Fig

We had made reservations for dinner around 7:30 in the evening, but had showed up about 10 minutes prior to that and our table wasn't available, so we took a seat at the bar.

After wine tasting and dining at fancy restaurants the entire time before this restaurant, I began to feel the right to be more of a food and wine snob then ever before.

The first pick I had at their wines by the glass was the Bonny Doon, 2007 reds blend. It was not very good and I would say definitely lacking in the mid palette... so the bartender happily turned me on to the Grenache they were serving for the evening, which was much better.

We started with the Goat Cheese sampler, which was probably the tastiest dish we had of the evening. It came with an array of nuts, fruit compote and of course a few different very small (but appropriate) portions of goat cheese.

After a while we were seated to our table. Our waitress was a very low talker and it was very difficult to hear anything that she was saying to us, so I had a to constantly ask my friend to repeat what she was saying/offering.

We ordered the Heirloom Radishes appetizer with anchovy butter and Grey sea salt. I had a go at the anchovy butter and it tasted more like thick mayonnaise with rotten fish. The variety of different radishes, were somewhat bland, with no flavoring or spice to them, so we requested some lemon vinaigrette, which didn't help much at all.

Our main courses were:

Wild Flounder Meuniere served over Yukon potato puree, cello spinach and drizzled with lemon-caper and brown butter.

Pan-Seared Arctic Char served over cabbage, cauliflower puree with a beurre rouge sauce.

The flounder was very salty, and very rich. The Artic Char was just okay, so both of us were mainly eating the flounder.

Whether I would go back here again?...I'm not sure. I guess it would depend on how much time I had to have a go at some of the other places around town.. and also if I just wanted to stop by their Salon de Frommage the next time around.

• The Girl & the Fig

This place is an unassuming, cozy little restaurant in downtown Sonoma. The service is great, the cocktails are thoughtfully prepared and delicious, and I was very happy with my meal. It wasn't the best meal I have ever had in the Napa/Sonoma area, but it has lots of stiff competition for that title! Overall, I really enjoyed this place. However - I heard Lady Gaga recently stopped here, so it might be harder than before to get a reservation!

• The Girl & the Fig

Amazing, seasonal food done right. Every bite of every dish I've had here was beyond belief. Plus, a fantastic wine list - even with some really affordable options. Great for lunch, even better for dinner.

• The Girl & the Fig

this place is super packed, and with good reason. the food is fantastic, some of the best i've had on the west coast. the bartenders who waited on us were an entertaining bunch, chatting with the patrons about a variety of topics throughout the night. i had a skirt steak with matchstick fries. the steak was fantastic, exceptionally well cooked, a tad salty (thus so go), with subtle hint of herbs. my gf got the quiche lorraine which she described as the "best quiche i've ever had". i tried a bite and couldn't believe how good it was. and it was a huge piece, so half of it came home. can't wait to go back. truly a gem and not very expensive. it took quite a while to get there from SF though.

• The Girl & the Fig

Nice restaurant at the northwest corner of the square. This is wine country food, with some expected and some unexpected preparations. When they get creative, they get interesting and you can find some great food here.

They also have a line of food products that they have created, and you can find in stores.

• The Girl & the Fig

Reviewed in many food magazines. Many of our guests enjoy this dining experience.

Odd name, The Girl & the Fig, and that's where the fun begins. Call it eccentric, call it eclectic, call it delightfully spontaneous, as this comfy-cozy restaurant whisks you to Provence and back again.

957 people visited The Girl & the Fig