The Griddle Cafe

7916 W Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90046

Michelle Gigglesworth
    5 Aug 07, 2014

Not much too add after 30 reviewers have previously posted. Street parking, with a few stalls outback in the alley. Portions are ginormous and prices are fantastic.
    I just wanted to bump bump bump!

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersBudget TravelersFamily TravelersFoodies
    Jaime Lehman
    4 Jul 28, 2014

Major hangover food!

Had a crazy night on the sunset strip? Feeling like vodka and you are not on speaking terms anymore?

Time to soak up with pancakes the size of your head (or waffles, or french toast). Wonderful combinations, with so many you'd probably get dizzier than you already are. Attempt to leave with a finished plate and you'll need a wheelbarrow to push you back to your car. Split with a friend, get some eggs, you'll be back to your normal, non-hungover self in no time!

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodiesStudentsTrendsters
    Tiffany Cheung
    3 Jul 23, 2014

Finally got a chance to try Griddle Cafe. I have heard many great things about their red velvet pancakes that I decided I wanted to try it for myself.

My boyfriend and I got there around 12 and the line was incredibly long. I wasn't sure if I had to wait in line (it was an orderly line and not just crowds of people at the doorway) or put my name down. Turns out you go inside and put your name down and they will line you up by the order of the names on the list. The lines were separated into party of twos and party of threes (or more). I waited for almost an hour. The food better be delicious.

It's a very small cafe with very low lighting. A lot is going on and there isn't much room to move around as the tables are jammed up next to one another. There's a big U-bend that is crowded with people, too. My boyfriend and I were lucky to get a table, but the noise level was so loud that we could barely talk to each other. This isn't the place to go if you're looking for a nice romantic date. This is more for a eat the food and get out place.

My boyfriend ordered the Omelette "My Soul" and added an extra of sausages while I ordered the red velvet pancakes with a side of Griddle potatoes. Shouldn't have gotten the extras as the two dishes were already a lot of food. Like another reviewer had mentioned, these red velvet pancakes are sweet, especially because of the cream on top. I took a chance and ordered it even though I prefer savory breakfast foods to sweet. I did end up regretting it. After taking a few bites of the pancakes and then digging into the potatoes, I didn't even look at the pancake again.

The pancakes are delicious and very soft. I wouldn't say they're out of this world, but they are a little better than normal pancakes (probably because they're red and just something you don't get anywhere else). They have the slightest taste of red velvet batter, but the cream on top made it much more sweet. I only finished 1/4 of it and the rest of the pancake is still sitting in my fridge as I type. I also saw many of the three stack pancakes being tossed out, looking like it hadn't even been eaten at all. Yikes. I would have to say that ordering savory seems to be the better choice.

My boyfriend's Omelette was really good. It had a lot on the plate - steak, cream cheese, avocado, potatoes, sourdough bread ... he couldn't even finish. So the extra sausage (while good) was not a good decision. I definitely recommend the "My Soul" omelette! Orange juice was super expensive - $5 for a very slender glass.

I am glad I got a chance to try this place out once. The servers and the host are really nice, but it is so busy during the brunch hours that they hardly have time to be anything more than polite. The ambiance isn't that great, and I honestly don't think I will come back unless I am in the area. It isn't worth the +30 minute drive and the +30 minute wait in line.

tl;dr good place for savory brunch, but would pass if not on my way; pricey - maybe waffles would be a better choice than the red velvet pancakes?

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesTrendsters
    Margeaux Randolph
    5 Jun 01, 2014

DELICIOUS. Biggest pancakes ever. Make sure you go early to reserve a spot. Because it's super good and super popular!

Recommended for:FoodiesBudget Travelers
    Glenn
    LGBT
    2 May 10, 2014

I can't believe this greasy spoon of a tourist trap made the Top 15 list for Mother's Day. The food is nothing spectacular so if you're looking for a special occasion for Mother's Day, this isn't it, unless you don't want to hear anything she's saying (other tables make it very loud). And most importantly lock your car door because there are thrives in the neighborhood. They will come right up to your parked car and steal a bag right out of the back.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFamily TravelersStudents
    Kelly Lees
    4 Apr 13, 2014

Super yummy dive cafe on Sunset. Enormous pancakes, amazing eggs and the best breakfast burritos. Friendly staff.

Natalie K
    4 Feb 04, 2014

I seriously love the Griddle Cafe, especially for all their cute waiters. I'm kidding of course...kind of...

There is usually a wait, just make sure you go in to put your name on a list then you can wait in line along a wall. The wait can get crazy on weekends but trust me, it's worth it.

They are known for their griddle cakes, which are like giant pancakes. There is a huge variation that you can get. I have only tried their blueberry but the pecan and bananas are definitely on my list.

My favorite thing here though has to be the scrambles. Just like their griddle cakes, the size of their scrambles are no joke. Every single kind is good but my favorite is the "some like it hot" scramble. It's literally the most delicious scramble I've had to date.

Parking can be a pain sometimes but I can usually find metered parking on the street within the next block.

Irene Yu
    5 Jan 03, 2014

Griddle Cafe is known for their unique breakfast entrees (particularly the pancakes), so it seemed like a no brainer to hit it up as one of my early morning pit stops in LA. Though I don't usually wake up early for the most important meal of the day, I'd take every opportunity to sample a cult favorite! So here's what we tried.

FOOD
    *TIS THE SEASON- One of the most popular items on the menu and for good reason! The batter is prepared with homemade pumpkin pie filling and you get three giant flap-jacks. Definitely a treat for all those patrons who love starting their day with something sweet.
    *CABALLERO- Personally I love to start my day with a savory dish and let me tell you they weren't kidding when they said that this was huge because my mom and i ate this for 2.5 meals. It's a gigantic burrito with scrambled eggs, potatoes, chicken chorizo, and green chilies with avocados, sour cream, and salsa on top. Additionally, they provided hot tortilla chips on the side, which were also quite tasty.

PARKING
    There's free parking behind the Rite Aid. Enter at Fairfax Ave. Otherwise good luck finding street parking.

SUMMARY
    I can understand how this breakfast joint would be a hot spot among locals and celebs alike, but I think the pancake combinations seem more appropriate as an afternoon snack. Most of the pancake creations were based on very sweet ingrediants, which doesn't appeal to my pallet in the early hours. Although the execution on the pancakes were spot on!

Additioanlly just as every other yelper mentioned the portions are ginormous! So bring an equally enormous appetite!

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
    Hanae
    4 Nov 23, 2013

So much good foooood! It's worth the wait! Be prepared to fall into food coma after eating here!

My foodie friend Steph Y. brought me here because I've never been. She had the apple pancake and I ordered the chocolate chip french toast. Both our entre's were HUGE but we didn't regret ordering our own. My french toast was pretty sweet so I didn't have to drench it with syrup. The bread was crispy on the outside and the chocolate chips were gooey. Next time I come here I need to order something salty on the side because that was a lot of sugar in my system.

I took the leftover french toast home and it tasted like chocolate cake when I ate it cold lol

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodiesLocal CultureStudents
    Candace L
    5 Sep 14, 2013

Five Stars - for a few select very yummy and very SWEET menu items: Red Velvet Pancakes and Chips Ahoy Cookie French Toast! The chocolate chip pancakes are also super delish, especially that little spot in the middle where the butter has melted in way too much in one spot. I always have to order this without the espresso shot since it's for my son and that's the last thing I need! this kid bouncing off the walls after an espresso shot but I'd love to try it once with the shot. If you are going with kids - 1 pancake is WAY more than enough, there's no way in the world you need a full order - that'd feed about 12 youngins. I don't even think an adult needs a full order of pancakes here, chances are you won't finish even one. I think I've tried the Hear me Roar before, which was also really good but not as sweet. I can't stand the long wait, the idiot tourist gawking over celebs, the d bags that can't stop talking about club hopping in LA the night before, the weirdo street entertainment, the lack of parking - ummm yea these things make a trip to GC not very much fun but... if you wake up early and you are one of the first ones there it hasn't been an issue or if you have these fabulous breakfast items at say... lunch time on a weekday, seems ok too - it's when I decide at 930/10A on a Sat or Sun that I want GC that its an issue. I've had a bite of a burger here and it was ok. I'm not really interested in anything other than their super sweet breakie options. Never really like the lattes or coffee drinks. I prefer sitting at the counter but we did sit in the little room in the back once for my sons bday - his friends thought that was super cool. Incredible breakfast -best in the world! if you LOVE sweet, which is what I come here for. If you're an eggs and toast type of person - look for another review because that's not the type of thing I'll ever be ordering from here and if you do have out of town guest - I'd bring them here, and early! ;)

Denise B
    5 May 17, 2013

An easy walk from the apartment. Huge portions. Very good. Always busy. Breakfast is especially busy.

Twila Grissom
    4 Apr 05, 2013

This spot has the largest food portions EVER so come hungry. Also if you're coming during prime breakfast/brunch time be prepared for a long wait (so maybe don't come TOO hungry ;)) With items like pumpkin pancakes (seasonal) nutela french toast, and red velvet pancakes you're sure to leave with your stomach full and your taste buds happy!

Susan Lee
    5 Jan 19, 2014

The pancakes at Griddle Cafe are HUGE! You think one pancake won't be enough, but trust me, you will be stuffed. The red velvet pancake is amazing, with the cream cheese frosting drizzled on top. For a lighter pancake, the blueberry is very good with their homemade syrup. Order a side of thick cut bacon to mix up the sweetness of the pancakes.

Calvin Cheng
    4 Jan 18, 2014

Good lord, this place is straight diabetes. The pancakes are teh reason to go here. Really delicious. Really sweet. Really huge. And I mean huge. The portions are ENORMOUS. The wait time for this place can be a little stiff during the rush hours, but it is very worth it.

Catherine
    5 Sep 12, 2012

The Griddle offers delicious breakfast foods! Pancakes and french toast - so decadent. Their portions are huge so bring a friend! Also, prepare to wait because there's always a long line.

Heathyr Wolfe
    5 Jul 18, 2012

Although it can be a little expensive it's worth every penny. You will never regret this place, the food and most importantly the portions. Although the Breakfast/Lunch menu is delicious, I recommend the pancakes. Especially for first timers. Expect to be overwhelmed with a pancake that is the size of a pizza and plenty to take home. *Griddle secret, ask for the Hot Chocolate pancakes. They aren't on the menu but they are the most amazing thing you have ever eaten. Plenty of parking behind the cafe in rite aid parking lot.

Sharon F
    4 Nov 21, 2013

The Griddle Cafe is an old-school diner with HUGE proportions and delicious down-home breakfast foods. Their pancakes are to die for (though being gluten free I can no longer have them). Like most popular Hollywood locales it suffers from long lines and terrible parking. If you're lucky you can find free parking, if not there are lots of meters on Sunset.

Traci

Not surprisingly - they have an enormous selection of pancakes. I had the PB Crunch pancakes - very sugary, but very good! The wait for brunch starts pretty early - park in the back behind the CVS.

Lulu
    3 Jul 04, 2012

The pancakes here are GINORMOUS and unlike anything I've ever seen! A stack of 3 are served on a huge plate and they're so big, the edges hang off the plate! They have a huge variety of pancakes, but I wasn't in the mood for something sweet so I ordered the Chicago Charlie scramble, which consisted of sausage, potatoes, bacon, bell peppers, cheese, garlic, basil and onions. It was at best mediocre and was supposed to come with a side of garlic bread...but they never brought it out for me.

When I was finally able to flag down our server to ask for it, she told me it was because they were out of garlic bread and asked if I wanted toast instead. It's extremely busy here, especially on a Saturday morning/afternoon. The wait for a table for 2 was almost an hour at 1pm! But it's definitely worth the wait to get a taste of their pancakes. The one I tried was filled with butterscotch chips and caramel, and topped with loads of whipped cream and powdered sugar. One order is definitely enough to share between 2 people as we didn't even finish half the plate!!

eywu
    5 Mar 30, 2014

The Pancakes! If you don't get the pancakes you'll regret it. You might also want to split it with 2 other people because the portions are MASSIVE! So good!

The signature red velvet pancake has proved so popular that it's now exported as a mix by mail order. Visitors to LA and locals still flock here every day for a stack of decadent pancakes or french toast.

3,486 people visited The Griddle Cafe