The Matador Cantina

111 N Harbor Blvd, Fullerton, CA 92832

Verlisia
    3 Nov 05, 2013

Service with a huge smile. I love how pleasantly cheerful the waitstaff were. Service was beyond attentive. Everything I need was brought to me without having to ask. I really wish I would rate Matador Cantina higher but the food just barely missed my 4 stars mark.

The Good
    - Salsa is excellent. I almost couldn't stop eating. If you don't fight the temptation you might end up getting stuffed before appetizers are served.
    - Charbroiled Spicy Wings. How can you not like fried chicken wings with good sauce?
    - Albondigas. Rich but not overwhelming. Great broth base.
    - Fajitas. Ordered the shrimp and steak combo. The steak is better than the shrimps. Very tender and flavorful. The tortillas are good and so is the side veggie.

The Average
    - Buffalo Calamari Fritas has excellent buffalo sauce but I can't say I am a big fan of the soggy texture calamari. I enjoyed it but I am not super impressed.
    - Tres Tacos Mariscos. The fried calamari was nice. The blackened blackened Mahi Mahi and grilled shrimp ones were slightly dry.
    - Steak and Eggs. Love the sauce on the steak but the meat itself is too dry. The sopapilla is tasty.

The Unsure
    - Shrimp Ceviche. A little too sour and not enough tomatoes and hardly any cilantro. Would prefer the avocado to be chopped and mixed in rather than sliced.tomatoes
    - Sangria Braised Short Ribs. A little too salty and the sauce lacked balance. Easily overwhelmed after a few bites.

Would I dine here again? Absolutely! I adore the lay back atmosphere and the friendly service. You just need to know what to order.

Recommended for:Family TravelersNightlife LoversTrendsters
  • The Matador CantinaPro 2014
    Kat Von B (Travelinggreek)
    4 Oct 21, 2013

YUM! That is what I have to say about the Blackened Mahi-Mahi! Really good atmosphere and spot-on service! A winner!!

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury TravelersTrendsters
    Trina D.
    4 Oct 17, 2013

Great food, great drinks, and they were kind enough to host a private party for us last night. Parking in DT Fullerton can get busy if you get there too late. The restaurant has nice booths and a fully stocked bar. The tacos were fantastic and the service was on par. Definitely a great place for dinner or to unwind for happy hour.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesLocal CultureStudents
    Rosemary Tsai
    2 Sep 25, 2012

I don't have anything much to say about Mexican food~ Not to be offensive, but just not my kinda food ya know.

Hey, if you think I'm mean, read those reviews that give Shabu Shabu a 1 or 2 star because they don't like given a pot of water to boil their own food in.....

At night though, this place turns in to a lounge scene with EXTREMELY LOUD music. Again, not my type of crowd, LA with hot skinny Asian chicks are more my kinda women.

MARiAN L
    3 Jul 14, 2012

My burrito was good but nothing special. I went there with a group for a birthday. It was fun, but I felt like they kept rushing us to finish. It seems like a great place to watch sports at. A lot of people were watching the soccer game and it seemed very energizing. I miss the Rockin Taco days with the dueling pianos, but that place was a mess!! Hahaha.

Nathan Nowack

Mexican is hard to mess up. So when a place does it exceptionally well, it makes you wanna go back again. I definitely like the food here. It's a good margarita atmosphere too. Good salsa, chips, and drink specials. They even have a spicy margarita. Now I've eaten here many times, and the only reason I give it 4 stars is cause it's a little salty at times, and I'm not talking about the salted rim margarita. But if you get the right dish, maybe you're luck will be better. I've gotten everything from Carne Asada to the Shrimp plate. Una Cervesa Por Favor.

Connie Pistilli
    4 Jul 19, 2013

Fun cantina in downtown Fullerton. Bottomless mimosa brunch on the weekends until 2pm.

Ash Eliot
    5 Mar 25, 2012

1,990 people visited The Matador Cantina

Moderate

Monday 11:00 AM - 02:00 AM, Tuesday 11:00 AM - 02:00 AM, Wednesday 11:00 AM - 02:00 AM, Thursday 11:00 AM - 02:00 AM, Friday 11:00 AM - 02:00 AM, Saturday 09:00 AM - 02:00 AM, Sunday 09:00 AM - 02:00 AM - Made to order brunch weekends from 9am to noon.