The Meatball Shop - Stanton Street
Tribes: Who likes this place?
What the scores mean:
These scores tell you how well-liked a place is in each Tribe. Gogobot Tribes are groups who share a certain travel style, like Family Travelers or History Buffs.
Which Gogobot Tribe do you belong to?Join now
- 59%Family Travelers
- 59%Local Culture
- 55%Luxury Travelers
- 55%Budget Travelers
Member Reviews (29)
- The Meatball Shop - Stanton StreetMember ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBusiness Travelers+ 7Jan 24, 2014
These places more then live up to the hype and Thank The Lord they now have a I believe three in NYC and one in Willamsburg...which is my favorite. Check their website to see the rotating special balls and sides. The Pizza Ball meatballs are amazing. Of special note...as delish as these balls are...their ice cream sandwiches are as good. You can pick two different cookies...
- The Meatball Shop - Stanton StreetMember ofLocal CultureBusiness TravelersFoodies+ 3Dec 23, 2013
While I was wandering around the Lower East Side I noticed all of these people around The Meatball Shop.
Next Day I wanted to find out what it was all about.
I never thought I would actually go someplace to eat meatballs but it is that good!
One more reason to hang on the East Side!
- The Meatball Shop - Stanton StreetOct 19, 2013
I think my friend and I waited over an hour to get a table here, but it was well worth it. The meatballs were awesome, the menu style is fun and unique. It is PACKED though, so be prepared to eat in close quarters at mostly picnic style seating tables. Grab a drink at Epstein Bar next door while you wait.
- The Meatball Shop - Stanton StreetMember ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsFoodies+ 1Oct 18, 2013
A quaint yet hip (weird combo, right?) eatery, this place is known not only for its meatballs but also for its ice cream sandwiches. The meatballs are best eaten "naked" (i.e. alone, and unadorned). The ice-cream sandwiches, probably best to eat it with a fork because they are GIGANTIC.
It gets pretty crowded around lunchtime, especially on weekends, but it's worth it for the ice cream sandwiches. The ice-cream is homemade, and so are the cookies! I'd recommend caramel ice cream with gingersnap cookies. The chunks of ginger provide a bit of heat that goes really well with the sweet, creamy caramel.
For a hearty yet fresh meal, try the "Everything but the Kitchen Sink Salad." You get three meatballs on top of a bed of arugula and whatever's fresh that day. Last time I went, I got picked radishes, beets and coucous. So delicious and refreshing!
- The Meatball Shop - Stanton StreetAmbassadorMember ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsFoodies+ 4Jan 29, 2014
For the best meatballs in the city, look no more. With two locations in Manhattan and one in Williamsburg, you'd better go early to catch a table; they are always packed! I highly recommend the meatball smash with mushroom sauce, an atypical burger that will have you rolling your eyes. The polenta side is also to die for, I can never get enough of it!
- The Meatball Shop - Stanton StreetMember ofLocal CultureBudget TravelersFoodies+ 2Jul 16, 2013
Great place - I think my friend and I lucked out: We went on a Sunday afternoon for lunch around 1:30, and while there were diners, it was not packed, and we had no wait at all. The decor is an interesting mix of skater culture and meat grinders, and the menus are laminated - they give you dry erase pens to check off boxes on the menu. I got the "Naked balls," actually, the naked balls special of the day - Moroccan chicken with a yogurt sauce, with a side of the roasted vegetable of the day - eggplant. My friend got the classic beef with mushroom gravy and a side of steamed spinach. They also have spicy pork and veggie balls. It was all delicious, and just the right size, in terms of portions, though I did take home 2/3 of the eggplant because I wanted to save room for a heavenly dessert: Ice cream sandwiches on cookies! The best part? YOU CAN GET TWO DIFFERENT KINDS OF COOKIES! I got one chocolate chip and one brownie walnut, with espresso ice cream in the middle. My friend got the same cookie combo, but with brown sugar ice cream (I have to admit, that while mine was good, the brown sugar ice cream tasted just divine ). Oh, and I had the lemonade of the day - pluot (that's a hybrid of a plum and an apricot) lemonade to wash it all down with. They have a limited menu of quality local alcohol, but I didn't really have a taste for it that day. The service was quick without being pushy. All in all, a really delightful experience.
- The Meatball Shop - Stanton StreetApr 26, 2013
The Meatball Shop is one of my favorite places I've eaten in NY. The food is pretty inexpensive and very, very delicious. My favorite are the naked balls with parmesan cream sauce. For me, the hero is a little too bready. Also, they have some of the best ice cream sandwiches I've ever had (and a little tip, you can get a different flavor cookie on the top and bottom!).
- The Meatball Shop - Stanton StreetMember ofOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget TravelersFoodies+ 2Jan 07, 2013
MEATBALL SHOP! Most has already been said about how awesome this place is... and that's coming from a vegetarian! Every single thing I've eaten here is a delicious, the music is great, and the staff is super friendly. So, my contributions are as follows:
- The staff crack me up in a different way each time. Most recently, we realized my friend had never heard the word pepperoni - WHAT THE HECK?! Our waitress overheard this fact, and encouraged her to leave Meatball Shop & try a few specific pepperoni dishes immediately.
- I like being encouraged to draw & write extra things on my menu. It's exciting.
- I love being given the recipe for the veggie meatballs with my receipt at the end of my meal. Have I tried to make them yet? No - it is WAY too many ingredients for me to comprehend. But it is still something to which I aspire!Recommended for:Vegetarian
- The Meatball Shop - Stanton StreetDec 20, 2012
Meatball Shop is such a fun spot to enjoy a low key meal with friends. The communal seating is perfect for a medium sized group and getting to draw on the menus with dry erase markers definitely appeals to the kid in me! Don't miss the meatball of the day or the incredible homemade ice cream sandwiches!
- The Meatball Shop - Stanton StreetMember ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget Travelers+ 11Jan 03, 2014
I am big fan of meatballs, and so far this place has not disappointed. I also go to the Williamsburg one. The one thing that is a bit annoying is the loud music, often inappropriate. I really don't want to be listening to hip-hop music while I'm eating my meatball smash. Come early, it's always packed. The cool thing about it is they are open late, so perfect for weekend nights when you're hungry after a few drinks.