The Pie Hole

714 Traction Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90013

Grace C.
    3 Jun 30, 2014

3.5 stars

Since I was near the neighborhood, I decided to stop by. Saturday 6ish. Boy did I pick a BAD time to come.

First off - parking SUCKS. If you get lucky you might find some street parking otherwise, you will either have to walk from some other lot or pay at this shady pay lot where they charge you $2 per 15 mins, with a $10 max that you have to pay upfront.

They still had pies available so they did not run out of stuff yet, but the line was kinda long and some lady a few people in front of me decided to buy a slice of everything. Great, there goes another $2 for parking. I just now added $4 to my pie purchase.

I picked two slices to go, the fresh strawberry and maple custard. I had such high hopes for the fresh strawberry, but I think Marie Calendars takes the win on this one. Even Donut Man's fresh strawberry donuts are better. There was only a few strawberries in the slice and the rest was this weird creamy jelly filling (is the only way i can put it) which was just okay. The crust was pretty yummy though. The other one I got was the maple custard. This pie was amazing. Maybe it's because I really like custard of any kind, but I felt that it was the right texture and sweetness for me. If you aren't a sweets person, this might be too sweet for you. The flavors reminded me of pecan pie without the nuts.

My friend told me that the chicken pot pie and macaroni and cheese hand pies are pretty good, but I will have to try that another time.

Vegas and Food
    4 Jun 17, 2014

I didn't like their pies at first, but more I go, I just started liking their pies. I really like earl grey pie. That's my favorite. I also tried thai tea pie and maple custard pie and they were good, too. I didn't like crostata.

Re becca
    5 Apr 13, 2014

After seeing on Yelpla's instagram, it was love at first sight! I knew I had to come here to try these seemingly ordinary looking pies. Little did my tummy know it was in for one of the best treat of the week!

Though parking may be tough to find don't give up, i promise eventually after 10 circle around Traction street eventually you will end up finding street parking.

So a quick backstory, I am a huge Dessert Whore and would pop chocolate balls by my bedside so trust me, i know what i am talking about! At first glance from the counter the pies really didn't look to appetizing, but you will be in for a very scrumptious awakening !

The Maple Custard : This soft, airy delectable treat has the perfect amount of sweetness and in every bite of it, it keeps you yearning for more.

The Mexican Chocolate slice: Has a richer taste with a similar bite of a chocolate brownie bite. The crust has a hint of salt and was what literally made me giddy and just altogether happy. I know when something is delicious is when i just feel this sense of happiness with each bite with a hint of flirty giggles. It sounds crazy but you'll get what i am saying when you come and try it for yourself!

L. Paul Evangelista
    3 Mar 27, 2014

I think there are better spots for pie in this city. Its really good pie but is it worth the price ? It is if you are in the mood or are in the area. But I think that extra couple of bucks you are dropping is on the ambiance and not necessarily the quality of the pie because it certainly isn't the customer service.

MzShanon
    4 Mar 22, 2014

Must try the Maple Custard Pie! You will NOT regret your choice!

My goodness! Why have I not discovered this place sooner?! Since I have the biggest sweet tooth I'm not sure why I waited so long to finally visit Pie Hole, but I'm glad I finally did!

The prices are NOT cheap. Expect to pay $5-$6 for a slice of pie and yes you can buy a whole damn pie at Marie Calendar's for this price but one bite of the Maple Custard pie and you will be in heaven so sometimes it's definitely worth it to spurge a little. The best way to describe this pie is to imagine creme brulee in a pie form.

Besides sweet dessert pies they also have savory pies for $4.50-$6.75. I ordered the chicken pot pie and honestly I was not impressed. There wasn't enough gravy inside and there was very little meat. Overall It was just very salty and dry. For really good chicken pot pie I would definitely recommend Wood Spoon.

Tip* There is only street parking available in this area so make sure you don't mind walking a block or two. Communal tables available inside so you will be sharing tables with strangers.

• The Pie HoleCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Audrey Lo "@GogobotAudrey"
    5 Feb 10, 2014

Wow I never thought I'd like pie so much! Such unique flavors - Turkish coffee, earl grey, Thai ice tea pie! The coffee is also excellent. I got the horchata latte with almond milk. Heavenly! Must try!

Lisa
    3 Jul 09, 2013

Yummy sweet and savory pies. A super hipster place to be. Enjoy your slice of pie with steamy coffee. Located right across the street from Wurstkuche. =]

Recommended for:Trendsters
    Muy S
    4 Jan 03, 2013

I was sooooo excited to come here! But a little disappointed that there wasn't a bigger selection of pies when I got there, sweet pies i mean. I had come here for dessert. There were 5 to choose from. Oh, I had seen pics on Yelp of the thai tea pie. I asked about it, they said it turned out not to be that popular so they may or may not bring it back.

My dilemma came down to the chocolate and salted caramel crostata and the maple custard pie. The crostata looked like a really rich and dense chocolatey goodness, while the maple custard looked like a flan... and I love flan and custard.

So you know what, I got both.

The crostata tasted like a brownie, not the ones that have a cake consistency (which, by the way, should be called CAKE), but the ones that are softer, rich and suuuuper chocolatey. Combined with the chewiness of the caramel and the light salty taste, it was great! Would've been even better if I had ordered a coffee to balance out... or MILK. The size of the slice was good for sharing. In my opinion it's definitely too rich to eat that one by yourself.

Now the custard pie. That can stand on its own. It looks like a flan but softer inside and quite eggy. soft flan like. The first thought that came to mind was "CREME BRULEE" minus the crunchy coating. I like the creme better than the burnt sugar anyway. The pie slice was a little small for $5.50.

The crusts were OK. I would come back here to try other pies, savory ones too. Oh and as for the parking, there is free parking but you have to find it on the streets. It was raining when we went, and it was busy all around so we had to park a block away and walk.

travel33
    4 Dec 22, 2012

I love the art district in downtown just down the street from Little Tokyo. You don't feel like you are in LA, it almost felt like New York with a lot of converted old buildings and lofts. The only thing that brought me back to the reality of LA was that they were filming a music video a block away.

Pie Hole is in the middle of the art district. They sell both sweet and savory individual sized pies in the price range of about $5 to $8.

I had a salted caramel latte while I waited for my pies (which I got to-go). The latte was awesome! I also tried my friends chocolate hazelnut latte which was impressive as well.

Hands down the Thanksgiving pot pie was awesome! I'm sure this is seasonal pie so I highly suggest you run down to the store and pick one up ASAP. The mac & cheese pie was good too. My least favorite was the spinach, mushroom and cheese pie. I couldn't even finish it. The consistency was weird and there wasn't much flavor to it.

We decided to go all out and order the crostada for dessert. It had salted caramel & chocolate. It was very, very sweet. If you like sweet stuff, you will love this. I don't like things too sweet so it took me a few days to eat a little at a time but I enjoyed it.

If you are in the downtown area, I recommend you stop in . It's a great place to meet up with friends whether it be for a meal or just dessert and coffee.

Catherine
    4 Nov 10, 2012

The Pie Hole is a little Pie shop in the arts district of LA. It's pretty small, but they offer a unique variety of pies by the slices! Each slice ranges from $4-6, and they offer pies like mac and cheese pie, chicken pot pie, meat pie, and a lot of sweet ones (banana toffee pie, mexican chocolate pie) too! The staff is friendly, and the pies are tasty. I like the sweet ones better than the savory ones, but be aware that some of them are super rich and decadent!

Yulree Chun "@GogobotLA"
    4 Jul 24, 2012

The pie hole serves more than just your typical pies. I had a tasting of five savory pies and though none was particularity spectacular, each pie was hearty and fairly tasty. My favorite was the chicken pot pie.

Richard P
    4 Nov 21, 2013

Last week there was so much pie talk amongst my Yelp Friends (Jame S, Bridget P., and Laura S.) that I decided to try out Pie Hole for myself. I was having lunch with my mom nearby so we decided to stop by.

Mexican Hot Chocolate Pie - Yummy. I love the whipped cream. It almost has a coffee flavor to it. It also has a nice firm almost chewy texture that I really liked.

Thai Tea Pie - Delicious! Not too sweet. Definitely tastes just like Thai Tea. I only got a few bites because my mom loved it so much she ate the rest of the slice.

Overall great pie. I wouldn't mind coming back to satisfy my sweet tooth. I actually returned the following day to pick up some slices for Laura S. and Bridget P. I originally planned to get a whole pie, but apparently you need to call a day in advance. Slices are about $5-6 each. A little pricey, but well worth it.

Becky M.

This is a great new pie shop in the arts district, right across the street from the always popular Wurstkuche. They have both savory and sweet pies, tarts, turnovers and other similar treats plus a full coffee bar. The food is ridiculously good (the mushroom tart is unreal and the peanut butter pretzel pie tastes like the best peanut butter cup you've ever had) and the staff is super super nice. My friends and I are making this a regular get together spot, just because it is so fantastic all around.

Kelly Lee