The Purple Pig

Gogobot Editors' Choice
    • Local Culture
    • Outdoor Enthusiasts
    5 Nov 04, 2013

In a city full of tapas and small plates restaurants, this one stands out, and is even favored by a number of celebrity chefs themselves. Adventurous eaters should try the pig ears, bone marrow, and foie gras with membrillo.

Gregory B. Schlough
    • Local Culture
    • Outdoor Enthusiasts
    4 Apr 17, 2013

I like this place. Pricey for the small plate euro-style tiny meals but its good and close to all the attractions downtown if you are visiting. These folks are educated and will treat you right!

Jennifer Scott
    5 Mar 09, 2013

Beets with goat cheese and pistachios, schmears, awesome wine list. If you don't like waiting, get here early

Lisa Lubin
    5 Nov 23, 2013

Always a great spot for food! Packed, lively space, delicious small plates, outdoor patio, and right off Michigan ave. Even though it's in a touristy spot...locals and local chefs love it.

Katie Davis
    5 Mar 07, 2013

Mmmm Purple Pig! My boyfriend is absolutely obsessed...I think he's been here about 5 times since moving to Chicago in August, and I've been here twice while visiting him.

Favorite dishes include the pork rillette, which some friends have fondly dubbed "meat nutella" due to its spreadable deliciousness (not because it tastes like chocolate), the milk-braised pork shoulder, the OCTOPUS (totally delicious and meaty-tasting since it's cooked over a wood grill), the beets with whipped goat cheese, the chicken skewers w/ tzatziki sauce, and the fried chorizo-stuffed olives.

Really, there isn't a bad thing on the menu that I've tried. Just order 2 plates per person, and go to town!

Lauren Burroughs
    5 Mar 07, 2013

I went here for my birthday, and it was the best restaurant I've been to in a long time. The restaurant is on the small side, but it is incredibly charming. The wine selection is extensive and the staff is knowledgeable. The menu is made up of small, inexpensive plates so the point is to try as many different items as you can. We tried really interesting items like crispy pig ears and the bone marrow smear, but the most delicious item suprisingly was the turkey leg. Try it, it's indescribable!

Lauren Monitz
    5 Mar 07, 2013

Places that don't take reservations inherently annoy me, but their charcuterie was in a league of it's own. Perfect for an after-theater matinee, these small places are great to share.

Richard P
    5 Mar 07, 2013

Dined at The Purple Pig for lunch on our last day in Chicago. The restaurant is located off Michigan Ave, right by the river. It is a relatively small venue with seating for about 40-50 people. Both indoor and outdoor seating is available.

We showed about at about 12:30pm on a Monday and were quickly seated. Surprisingly there wasn't a wait. The service was great. Our waitress was kind, attentive and was willing to answer any questions we had on the menu.

The food was delicious. This was the last meal we had while in Chicago, so it was kind of a Last Supper type deal. My friend and I had vowed to go on crazy diets once we returned to LA. We had consumed so much yummy food on our trip. Therefore, we had to pay the price once we returned. However, this last meal was a feast:

Jamon Serrano (http://www.yelp.com/user_local_photos?select=pgAJjsk2-ryrVI6M2rzoew&userid=3hWhXTkU83jsm3jIA-rkIg) -- This what you'd expect. Freshly shaved ham served with bread. Simple but tasty!

Artichokes and Fingerling Potatoes (http://www.yelp.com/user_local_photos?select=2sfHCjbZiBTNgHiWKg1v5w&userid=3hWhXTkU83jsm3jIA-rkIg) - Delicious. Nice and fresh with a vinegarette sauce.

Lardo Iberico (http://www.yelp.com/user_local_photos?select=siICxCQs0qZGZgmX8nBmNw&userid=3hWhXTkU83jsm3jIA-rkIg) -- The fat from a Jamon Iberico de Ballota. A special bread of pig which only eats acorns. It is pork's equivalent to Kobe beef. Super rich and fatty.

Pig Ear (http://www.yelp.com/user_local_photos?select=N3CkeLGF95BIGQTWLR-7-w&userid=3hWhXTkU83jsm3jIA-rkIg) - Amazing! Nice crispy fried pig ears with pickled peppers and a fried egg. Everything complemented each other well!

Tenderlion (http://www.yelp.com/user_local_photos?select=VGOhJuB9ueUKLywKkXcAeQ&userid=3hWhXTkU83jsm3jIA-rkIg) -- Good flavor, juicy and tender. However the slices were really thin, which led them to be slightly over cooked. Still delicious though!

Quail (http://www.yelp.com/user_local_photos?select=rl66Qv7_5DQl1rTsxEdNIQ&userid=3hWhXTkU83jsm3jIA-rkIg) -- Juicy, served with I believe was pomegranate.

Milk Braised Pork Shoulder (http://www.yelp.com/user_local_photos?select=iJWOEfnbvxc5-h2kL9b7-A&userid=3hWhXTkU83jsm3jIA-rkIg) - The best dish of the meal! Super tender and juicy with a rich creamy milk gravy and delicious mashed potatoes. I could have eat 2 orders of this myself!

Mussles (http://www.yelp.com/user_local_photos?select=pDX45ziGWj-qoa_LRQBpWg&userid=3hWhXTkU83jsm3jIA-rkIg) - Sweet and perfectly cooked. Very soft, fresh and flavorful.

We decided to skip the dessert, because we had already eaten so much food on our trip. However the lady next to me ordered an affogata (coffee and gelato) with a scoop of salted caramel gelato. I was tempted, but decided to be good.

Overall great meal. We ended up spending about $37 per person after tip and tax. I think that is reasonable given the quality of the food.

I definitely would love to eat here again!

Van Le
    5 Mar 07, 2013

one of my favorite spots in Chicago. hop in early afternoon or late night to grab a spot quickly. i love the smears but everything is delicious - try a bunch and share. like the motto says, "cheese swine & wine!"

Lorrie M
    3 Mar 07, 2013

I think I'm going to get mobbed for giving this place 3 stars but first ... hear me out.

Despite it's great ratings and high profile as one of the best new restaurants of 2010, The Purple Pig honestly doesn't actually offer that much if you think about it. Most wine spots have a great selection of cheese already (they had almost 10) and a great selection of wine. But of course with a title like "Wine, Swine & Cheese" most people come here for the swine.

We got the bone marrow, the waygu slider, the milk braised pork shoulder and a cold dish to share. Despite what little food it was (since its all in tapas form) we were extremely overfull with how greasy everything was. The bone marrow, to be expected but the toast they gave us was DRENCHED in butter. Literally there was butter dripping onto the plate the whole time ...

Then their infamous milk braised pork shoulder was incredibly heavy with the mashed potato it was served with almost 80% butter and 20% potatoes from a box (or that was the texture anyway ...).

I felt like the place was over hyped because none of the dishes were spectacular, and if you cook everything in butter that's just kind of cheating. I went away feeling very greasy and kind of gross despite the fact that the pork shoulder itself was very tender.

In the end I didn't think this place had anything special to offer. Yes it's a quaint, cute wine bar with tapas, but there's plenty of those. There's nothing that distinguishes this place from any other place except for its liberal application of butter. Seriously, I do not want a heart attack.

Description:

A collaboration among four top chefs, the Purple Pig specializes in "Cheese, Swine and Wine" and was immediately popular both with critics and diners at its launch.

Hotels Near The Purple Pig