The Royal Islander

Kukulcan Boulevard Km 17.5 L-51 | Hotel Zone, Cancun 77500, Mexico

Ian Wang
    4 Jan 03, 2013

First of all, It's a great "resort" but it not like a hotel where they provide you with shampoo and other stuff (they do provide you with kitchen cutlery and fresh towels and a microwave). They still provide room service and make up your bed and such but check carefully on the difference between resorts and hotels. Aside from the shampoo aspect, there's not a whole lot less compared to what a hotel does

Upon entering, they give you a card which is tied to your credit card that you have to use for any purchases (tours, stuff at the small grocery market, restaurants in the resort) at the resort or its sister resorts (Royal Mayan, Royal Carribean etc). Since the Royal group owns a lot of hotels in Cancun and you can use any of the facilities at any of their hotels up and down the hotel zone.

They provide you with a concierge which is suppose to guide you and help you with any of your needs, coordinate activities they have going on at the resort and invite you to certain events. Though mine was fairly absent so I'm not too impressed by that aspect. They have activities running Monday through Friday ranging from water aerobics, to casino nights. I can't comment too much on those since I was visiting other locations instead of participating in the resort run activities.

The view of the ocean is fantastic, the rooms are nice and well maintained, and they offer a lot of services like tour guides, equipment rental etc.

Be warned, if you come here prior to saturday, you may have to change rooms since their weeks start on saturday and they reserve rooms in those blocks. This won't show up on your hotel reservation but the front desk will let you know

Two Things I liked: The ocean view room, the ability to use any facility at any Royal property
    Two things I didn't like: The lack of my personal concierge service. No shampoo provided (and the one in the market is really expensive)

Bottom line: Good resort for relaxation, great for couples. Fantastic view of the ocean and the beach is amazing. Worth it if you plan on actually staying on the property but I would just recommend a hotel if you're going off to other locations every day
    Stayed 6 days in Dec

Aaron Casillas
    3 Jul 05, 2012

Let me first say that The Royal Islander is a very nice place with all the amenities you could want in a vacation stay in the beautiful hotel district of Cancun. Wifi, several restaurants, pool, tennis courts and shuttles to the other "Royal" properties in the city. That being said, I'm not sure whether to call this place a hotel, a time share, or some type of hybrid. It’s clear that you can rent rooms or suites via the internet, but when we arrived in person we seriously had to jump through hoops to just get a look at a room. They are really not set up for the walk-in trade. If you arrive in person they want to sell you a time share.

Through our persistence (read annoying), we were able to gather some intel on the Islander but it was pretty exhausting and with so many options available in Cancun this would not be my first choice. If you have your heart set on staying here do yourself a huge favor and book online or via telephone.

Haylee Red

When I walked into the lobby I was struck by a soothing spa like fragrance in the air. I immediately relaxed and admired the simple, clean and calming ambiance. This resort is one of two time share properties owned by Royal Resorts that we visited. Jorge at the front desk welcomed us right away and showed us to a room. This particular room had a kitchen, living room, and two comfortable beds. The kitchen was cozy and if I was one to cook,(which while on vacation I definitely am not!) I could’ve seen myself preparing a nice home cooked meal. We had an in-room safe, iron, ironing board, etc. The view of the pools, bars, and restaurants outside made me want to throw on my suit and jump in the water. Luckily we were also fortunate enough to have a view of the ocean, and it was a beautiful day to swim!

Very Good!679 reviews across the web.

• Guests recommend this hotel for budget travelers.
  • Guests consider it an awesome beach hotel.
    100% appreciated the closeness to the beach.
    100% thought it was clean.
  • Room
    98% thought the view was good.
  • Beach
    94% appreciated the clean beach.
  • Service
    83% found the staff to be very friendly.
  • Grounds
    Nice grounds.
Showing Lowest Prices(Avg. nightly price)

Very Good! - 82% of guests recommend