The Westin St. Francis

335 Powell Street, Union Square, San Francisco, CA 94103

Veronica Sartori

I like The Westin, it's a solid hotel in Union Square. They have lots of good restaurants, a gorgeous venue for any occasion (I've attended conferences, holiday events and a big Halloween party here), and nice rooms. The rooms are all very beautiful, and some have a nice view of Union Square.

Definitely worth checking out if you're in Union Square =) !

Henry Lee
    1 Jul 04, 2012

Never stay here if you plan on checking out either on a Sunday or the day after any holiday. The valet parking which is ridiculously overpriced as it is, gets completely backed up. We were fortunate enough to enjoy over an hour wait for our car to show up. With no organization whatsoever, people just backed up right at the automated revolving door. Complete disorganization -- and this happens every week? The "automated" revolving door right there is also a total joke. It stops revolving anytime there's somebody right at the entrance -- which is like all the time when there are 100 people standing right there. We watched as people would get in and the door would just suddenly stop and lock up all the unfortunate people trapped within its confines.

The rooms are really so-so. I'm sure the place was really nice and grand when it was built, but in 2010, the rooms are half the size of any other modern built Westin. If I had to stay at another Westin in SF, I'd go to the one just south of Market. That one was recently constructed. In terms of the "heavenly" bath, that's another joke right there. All it is is a shower head. Hardly the quality of a Westin that I would expect given how much money we paid to be here.

Next year, W Hotel.

Cindy Chen
    2 Jul 04, 2012

Super disappointed with the Westin St. Francis.

We stayed there for NYE 2008, so that we didn't have to trek back to the Peninsula after a crazy night of partying.

The place was being renovated, so it was rather noisy. Negative #1. But since I didn't book the hotel I don't know if we already knew this prior, so I try not to let this affect my review too much.

To be honest, the place would probably have received a 3 or 4 star easy if it wasn't for the parking fiasco.

Apparently, this is a normal thing, but around check out time (12-1) everyone is trying to get their car out of their very EXPENSIVE, $49 overnight parking lot you should expect to wait forever and not have an issue with it. We waited more than 1 hour for our car after we checked out and ended up missing brunch with family - ON NEW YEARS DAY!

Lesson learned, stay there, but don't park there.

Lorrie M
    3 Jul 04, 2012

I stayed here for three days when I worked for Sun Microsystems and I was so excited to be part of their Worldwide Edu Convention especially because it was held entirely in the Westin and I knew that the Westin had an extremely high reputation. Of course, it never hurts that the company is footing the bill.

I checked in on a Tuesday night and stayed til Friday morning. The front staff was friendly but it was confusing to find that the lobby was actually on the 'backside' of what I would call the main entrance (the lobby with shops connected to Victoria Secret and Michael Mina's). I got a standard double queen beds room which was supposed to contain heavenly shower, heavenly bed and heavenly pillows or something. I had great expectations for this shower, because after a long day at work and a long drive up from the South Bay I was desperate for a nice hot shower.

To my surprise, their heavenly shower was anything but. My version of an awesome shower is something with just the right amount of shower power, not the kind that wants to rip your skin off or the "rain fall" that basically forces you to wash your hair out for like 20 minutes because your conditioner just won't rinse. Their heavenly shower was much like the ladder, a slow, gentle fall of water. I guess its good if you're super sensitive but it did not do it for me because there was no pressure at all. I fiddled with the shower head quite a bit and got no results.

I then proceeded, after my long strenuous shower, I proceeded to the heavenly bed where for two nights for some reason I could not fall asleep well. Maybe because it was a company event and I was alone, but I had a lot of trouble falling asleep on their beds and I wasn't amazed by how comfortable it was which I was expecting to be.

Other than that, I think the reason for the 3 star is because it costs so much to stay there ($299/night at the time I booked) for rooms that I don't think are worth the hype. However, the rest of the hotel is extremely nice, especially their event rooms and ballrooms which I had the thorough pleasure of being in the rest of my entire stay there. They have fantastic catered food and fast elevators. I wouldn't mind staying here if only it were cheaper!

JohnMichael

I can't comment too much on the the rooms there....but I can comment on the ballrooms there since I had gone to a large black tie affair there. It was large...large does not do it justice.....but the hall of mirrors was a nice touch and the food wasn't that bad. I do like Minna downstairs and the rest of it was so sososososososo.... Austere! Though Austere with a passion for taste. In retrospect, it seems that the rooms are a hit or miss type thing, but again I can't comment on that too much. The beds were nice! I do remember having a great time in the hotel otherwise. Valet parking was great, the service was great, everything else was great.

Melinda Osterloh
    3 Jul 04, 2012

I've stayed here more times that I can count, and have seen almost every suite in the place during various functions. If you're NOT going to stay in one of their $$$$$ suites, make sure to stay in the "newer" tower rooms. They're just nicer. The old original (tiny, often view-less) rooms have character, but are usually dark and cramped-- not two of my favorite attributes. This probably deserves 4 stars, but I've been so many times, I'm a bit bored of it.

Tal Slobodkin
    5 Jul 03, 2012

Feels like a piece of history - located on Union Square, surprisingly good access to the highway. Very attentive staff.

Recommended for:History Buffs
    Mike Hess
    4 Sep 14, 2013

Great atmosphere. Right in the heart of union square.

Kevin-John Black

Happy season.
    Wish not to work here:)

MissingLynxx
    5 Oct 28, 2012

Luxury and wonderful customer service

Recommended for:Luxury Travelers
    Victoria Casumpang

San Francisco!The Westin St.Francisco

Vivian Tero
    1 Jul 05, 2012

convenient location (right on union square) but the rooms are really old.

Daniel Heaf
    2 Jul 04, 2012

Bit too old school for my liking

Maggie Stanphill

5 Apr 02, 2012
    Luke Hornof
    3 Dec 25, 2011
Showing Lowest Prices

Set in the heart of San Francisco, this hotel is close to Union Square, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, as well as TransAmerica Pyramid. Additional attractions include Asian Art Museum of San Francisco.

Features.
Dining options at The Westin St Francis on Union Square include a restaurant and a bar/lounge. Room service is available 24 hours a day. Recreational amenities include a health club, a

... read more
sauna, a fitness facility, and a steam room. The property's full service health spa has massage/treatment rooms. This 4.0 star property has a business center and offers small meeting rooms, audio visual equipment, and business services. High speed Internet access is available in public areas. This San Francisco property has 54000 square feet of event space consisting of banquet facilities, conference/meeting rooms, a ballroom, and exhibit space. Wedding services, translation services, and tour assistance are available. Guest parking is available for a surcharge. Additional property amenities include a coffee shop/café, valet parking, and a concierge desk. This is a smoke free property.

Guestrooms.
There are 1,195 guestrooms at The Westin St Francis on Union Square. Beds come with pillowtop mattresses and premium bedding. Furnishings include desks and ergonomic chairs. Bathrooms feature designer toiletries, bathrobes, and hair dryers. In addition to complimentary newspapers, guestrooms offer multi line phones with voice mail. 37 inch flat panel televisions have premium cable channels, video game consoles, and pay movies. Air conditioned rooms also include minibars, blackout drapes/curtains, irons/ironing boards, and clock radios. Guests may request refrigerators, hypo allergenic bedding, and wake up calls. Housekeeping is available. Cribs (infant beds) and rollaway beds are available on request. Guestrooms are all non smoking.

Notifications and Fees:

The following fees and deposits are charged by the property at time of service, check in, or check out.

• Valet parking: US$ 50 per day
  • Valet parking large vehicle: US$ 57 per day

The above list may not be comprehensive. Fees and deposits may not include tax and are subject to change.

• Business Center
  • Wake Up Service
  • Safe
  • Car Rental Desk
  • Mini Bar In Room

Good!3800 reviews across the web.

• Guests recommend this hotel for business travelers.
  • Guests think this is a family-friendly hotel.
    93% liked the proximity to sightseeing.
  • Service
    86% found the staff to be very friendly.
  • Hotel Building
    56% thought the facilities needed updating.
  • Room
    55% said rooms were small.
    Hotel is nice enough.