Titilaka

Chucuito, Peninsula Titilaka, Puno, Peru (Formerly Inkaterra Titilaka)

Courtney Regan
    5 Mar 27, 2013

Titilaka, a unique Relais & Chateaux located property on Lake Titicaca in Southern Peru, was definitely a trek for me to get to. The lodge is about two hours south of the Juliaca airport and one hour south of the Puno bus/rail stations. After a long travel day, mainly due to delayed flights, my pain melted away the moment I stepped into the lobby of this magnificent retreat. The trek was well worth it.

The lodge offers an all-inclusive experience, meaning all meals, drinks (even alcohol), excursions and friendly guides are included. This only lends to the already stress-free experience. Victoria, the gracious hotel manager, showed me around my new home, which is decorated in a modern and unique fashion. We stopped quickly at the happy hour bar then she showed me to my room so I could refresh before dinner.

The rooms are all incredibly comfortable and spacious. But all of that hardly matters since panoramic windows overlooking the lake are beyond captivating (my view is pictured above). I couldn’t get enough of the lake views, watching the sheep graze and the small rowboats making their way to their destination. My only concern was how hard it was going be to get out of bed in the morning.

Down in the dining room Jose was my humble waiter who served me magnificent meals. I opted for healthier options of poached eggs, quinoa, trout, and perfect vegetables. Though one evening I indulged in a delicious birthday cake shared by a fellow traveler. Of course the dining room boasts exceptional views of the lake and beautiful surroundings, so I barely made any progress on my book I brought with me to dine.

My only complaint about my stay was that it was too short. I suggest spending at least three days here. That would allow enough time to relax, indulge in the views and explore the area. For active travelers there are several excursions to the famous floating islands, Taquile Island, kayaking, hiking etc. This is truly the perfect retreat for those looking for a unique, remote experience where they can really escape and let it all go.

Hajar Ali
    5 Mar 01, 2013

Loved waking up to the sunrise every morning

IvankaCZ
    5 Feb 21, 2013

The best hotel around lake Titicaca.

Håkan Moberg