Trip Plan Details
- Malibu Lagoon State Beach23300 Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu, CA 90265recommended Malibu Lagoon State BeachThis is the beach spot I always take my out of town guests to visit. It works at any time of the year, because it is not just a huge swath of sand, and the walk around the ponds to the ocean is nice. ... read moreIt's also close to food -- Malibu Frozen Yogurt is good, and the Ralph's supermarket has a good take-out deli. Much better than just going to the beach in Santa Monica, where it is dirty and crowded.Recommended for:
- The Getty Center1200 Getty Center Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90049-1666recommended The Getty CenterIn my opinion, two of the best reasons to visit the Getty are the architecture and the physical setting. The buildings are beautiful and so is the landscaping and the views. There are often some great ... read moretemporary exhibitions, which is good because the permanent collection can be underwhelming. If you grab a bus or a hotel shuttle (some nearby hotels offer them for free), you will avoid the parking fee, which is the only charge for visiting. Have lunch in the cafe, where the food is good, or just grab a cookie (they're the best -- I used to work here and always had trouble staying away from them!).Recommended for:
- Real Food Daily514 Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90401
- The Sunset Restaurant6800 Westward Beach Road, Malibu, CA, United Statesrecommended The Sunset RestaurantA hangout for Malibu locals, separated from the sand only by the two lane Westward Beach Road, Sunset Restaurant serves good food with live entertainment on some evenings. It's a great place to have ... read moredinner followed by a stroll on the beach watching the moonlit surf crash toward shore.Recommended for:Jaak Treiman
A great place to continue your honeymoon and just a short (in Los Angeles terms) drive north of Santa Monica along Pacific Coast Highway.
- Santa Monica Farmers' Market200 Santa Monica Pier Santa Monica, CA 90401-3126recommended Santa Monica Farmers' MarketNot just fresh produce! It's like a harvest fair every Sunday. There are food booths, artists, entertainers, and just world-class people watching. It's a great place for breakfast or brunch, and you ... read morecan take your food over to the beach if you can't find a seat.Barbara Kossy
I think Sunday morning markets are very romantic.
- 17th Street Cafe1610 Montana Ave, Santa Monica, CA 90403recommended 17th Street CafeHomey, comfortable, fresh good food, not too noisy, great healthful dishes, and some killer cakes and pies too. Nice place to meet friends for a catch up lunch.Recommended for:Family TravelersBarbara Kossy
They make egg white omelets. I guess that's a plus.
- Hiromi Paper International Inc2525 Michigan Ave # G9, Santa Monica, CArecommended Hiromi Paper International IncWalking into this small shop simply takes my breath away. It's full of tantalizing textured papers, precious inks and brushes, and more roll paper and notebooks, and more stationery and more luscious ... read morehandmade paper. They even sell very special papers that will run through ink jet printers. They're in Bergamot Station. Always something to see here.Barbara Kossy
I want to own everything in this store.
- Bergamot Station2525 Michigan Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90404recommended Bergamot StationI love the variety of galleries here. Some are ridiculous. Some are sublime. And it's so easy. Park and walk from gallery to gallery. When you get hungry or thirsty there's a nice little cafe. Rest ... read moreand bask in the sun on one of the outdoor benches. If you need to shop and you can't drop $13,000 on some excellent art, then stop in at the bookshop or Hiromi Paper for something more affordable but still special.Barbara Kossy
A fun and easy way to enjoy contemporary art.
- Venice Beach1905 Ocean Front Walk, CArecommended Venice BeachRecommended for:
- Santa Monica State BeachOff Ocean Front, Santa Monica, CA 90403recommended Santa Monica State BeachRecommended for:
- Chez Jay1657 Ocean Ave, Santa Monica, CA 90401recommended Chez JayOpened by Jay Fiondella on the Fourth of July weekend in 1959, this place is a historic landmark in the LA area. Over the years, celebrities from Richard Burton and Peter Sellers to Rat Packers Frank ... read moreSinatra, Sammy Davis Jr, and Dean Martin would frequent this little hole in the wall. Rumor even has it that Lee Marvin once barreled in on his motorcycle and downed shots at the bar. Jay passed away in 2008, leaving the bar to his business partner Mike Anderson, who now owns and operates the place. Chez Jay remains one of the truly iconic establishments in LA.Recommended for:
- Third Street PromenadeSanta Monica Pier, Santa Monica, Californiarecommended Third Street PromenadeRecommended for:recommended Third Street PromenadeShoppings, restaurants, people watching, amateur musicians.Recommended for:
- Santa Monica Pier321 Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica, CA, United Statesrecommended Santa Monica PierRecommended for:
- Urth Caffe2327 Main St, Santa Monica, CA 90405recommended Urth CaffeRecommended for:
- Shutters on the Beach1 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405recommended Shutters on the BeachIf you want a fully Southern Californian experience, why not stay on the beach (and we mean *on* the beach) in Santa Monica? My cousin got married here, and the place couldn't have been more ... read morebeautiful, the staff could not have been friendlier, the rooms could not have been more perfectly casual but upscale. They've got three different places to eat, all with crazy-beautiful views.Recommended for:Luxury Travelers
recommended Marina del ReyNice area. Good restaurants with open areas overlooking beautiful yachtsRecommended for:
- Rodeo Drive Beverly HillsRodeo Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90212recommended Rodeo Drive Beverly HillsWhere the real woman shops. :)Recommended for: