Top Nosh

1167 Lincoln Avenue, San Jose, CA, United States

• Top Nosh
    Connie Pistilli
    4 Sep 06, 2013

While I do enjoy a delicious brunch on the weekends, sometimes I just feel like having a small bite to eat. Top Nosh Cafe had just what I was looking for. They specialize in savory pies, but I'd liken them to empanadas instead. Because when I think of pies, I think of pot pies, and these were semicircular and definitely more like empanadas.

They offer a lot of interesting combinations (with ethnic flavors like Thai, Mediterranean, Indian and Southwestern) which all sounded tasty, so I asked the girl behind the counter what the most popular one was, and it also happened to be the one I was leaning toward anyways - the mushroom and gruyere pie. The crust was buttery and flaky, and the hot inside filling was delicious. I could definitely see why this was their most popular pie.

My eyes had perked up when I saw the pastry and dessert selection, and couldn't help but get a piece of their chocolate chip bread pudding which they warmed up and covered in caramel sauce. Oh, it was heavenly!

The cafe is really spacious and inviting, and seems like a great spot for hanging out with your laptop or a book. While I'm not a coffee drinker, those of you who are will be able to get fine Ecco coffee here. Overall, a great spot for a quick bite!

• Top Nosh
    JohnMichael

Do you like empanadas? I love empanadas. While they dont call them empanadas here, they might as well. I hear that the mushroom and cheese pies are the most popular though quite admittedly I'm curious about a lot of them. With all the good food in the bay area I walk a balance beam of temptation between falling off due to other distractions or over indulgence before I can reach the end of trying them all. But I'm trying. Though it does help that there's also dessert to keep me coming back for more and more. Which reminds me, I'm going to have to start running again to burn off all these calories before too long.
    le sigh