Top of Half Dome Hike

Happy Isles Shuttle Stop #16, Tyrone, GA 95389

Spiritual Seekers

• Top of Half Dome Hike

The hike was beautiful and well worth the effort it takes to get permits. It was easier to get a permit since we were staying in the wilderness the night of the hike. We started mid-afternoon and ascended to slightly higher than Little Yosemite Valley campground. After a 4am wakeup, we began our ascent and were greeted by the ranger at the foot of Half Dome requesting permits. We then continued our ascent and made it to the top at 6 am with only a handful of other people around and one of the most greatest vistas I have ever seen.

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersBackpackersOutdoor EnthusiastsSpiritual Seekers
  • Top of Half Dome Hike

An amazing--and demanding--14-mile hike (roundtrip) to the top of one of the Yosemite's most recognizable mountains. Set out at day break (or before) to get to the top and back again before the sun sets. It's a gorgeous hike that left my legs aching but my mind so happy. Well worth the effort. Don't forget your camera! Or water. Or snacks. Note: There's a campsite halfway up, if you'd prefer to break up the hike over a couple days.

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersOutdoor Enthusiasts
  • Top of Half Dome Hike

While this hike is probably on everyone's "bucket List" there are better hikes for those not in top shape. For Half Dome you need a permit, you will climb 5,000 feet in 8 miles (and descend) and it will take you all day and possibly part of the night.

• Top of Half Dome Hike

Hiking Half Dome is one of the most miserable yet memorable experiences of my life.

We arrived at Curry Village near midnight, having left LA after work on Friday. After things settled, we finally got some rest at about 2am. Morning call was 4am. Big mistake clearly, so make sure you get enough rest the night before.

One of my best friends is a geek about Yosemite (he's not on Yelp so he won't read this =P), so he's done the hike several times with his family. When he said we wouldn't need to train for it, we believed him. Just because we look fit, doesn't mean we're ready to do 17 miles, 4800 foot elevation gain! My advice to you? Train!

Don't overeat. Remember, there are no bathrooms along the hike so everything that goes in, comes out in nature!

Do your prep work, and you'll undoubtedly enjoy the hike. Parts of the hike are breathtaking. My favorite part was along the Mist Trail; something about waterfalls and stone stairs just speak to me. In the end, it'll be worth it when you can tell people you've done it!

• Top of Half Dome Hike

This is definitely a challenging hike, but so worth it if you can make it to the top! I actually was tricked into this hike, and being not much of a hiker, I almost bailed. However, this is what started my love for hiking! There are 2 different trails to go up, one by the waterfall which is a lot steeper but shorter. I'd suggest going down via the other route though, which is a lot safer. Make sure to pack lunch and bring plenty of water because it'll take you all day for a round-trip! Bring a camera too, because the view at the top is AMAZING! :)

• Top of Half Dome Hike

AMAZING hike with great views. My friends and I hiked via the Mist Trail. It is a tough hike at 14+ miles round trip from the valley floor. On your way up to Half Dome you'll come across 2 waterfalls. There are several bathrooms and places to stop and eat on the way up. I suggest not stopping too long if you plan on making the round trip hike to half dome. Bring plenty of water as you will need it. The half dome cables are open to those with permits only. Only about 300 people are allowed up per day. Check out http://www.recreation.gov/ to reserve permits. This is a tough hike. I wouldn't suggest it to those who are out of shape. Some may want to train leading up to their Yosemite Visit. Steep gradients -- up and down hill. It's a lot of work, but definitely worth it!

I'm glad to say I can cross this hike off my bucket list!

• Top of Half Dome Hike

Such a gorgeous view after a truly challenging trek! Half dome is an incredible experience and I'd recommend it to anyone that is into hiking. I personally had never really hiked before but consider myself to be pretty fit so figured I could handle it. The trip took us a total of 11 hours roundtrip and the most important advice I can impart is BRING ENOUGH WATER! I filled my CamelBak up and went through the entire thing just as we were heading back from the top. Also, I'd bring gloves to help with the cables-- a bunch of people discard theirs after they're done, but better safe than sorry!

• Top of Half Dome HikePro 2014

So very difficult, but if you're well-prepared [good shoes and gloves], it's a great hike to do just that one time. Some of my friends are crazy though and would do it multiple times. I found Sub-Dome more difficult than the granite portion of Half Dome.

Don't be foolish and climb if there is even a sign of sprinkles!

• Top of Half Dome Hike

Bring lots of water and your own gloves for the cables on the way up and start the ascent up Half Dome by 6am to avoid a super crowded peak. And if you wimp out... don't sweat it too much; the view from the area just below the dome is equally stunning.

• Top of Half Dome Hike

Hike all night and summit first light ,amazing sunrise , dress warm!

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersBackpackersBudget TravelersFamily Travelers
  • Top of Half Dome Hike

The most physically and spiritually rewarding hike so far in my life.

Recommended for:Spiritual Seekers
  • Top of Half Dome HikePro 2014

Words like thrilling, exciting and challenging find their way into descriptions of the hike to the top of Half Dome, a naturally occurring rock structure in California's Yosemite National Park. The imposing figure towers more than five thousand feet above the valley below, creating an intriguing challenge for adventurous hikers. The hike leads you through the dense California wilderness, presenting views of other natural wonders like Liberty Cap and the ultimate prize for reaching the summit: a widescreen view of Yosemite Valley and the Sierra mountains. The famous Half Dome cables allow you to scale the treacherous final four hundred feet of rock to the summit without picks and other rock climbing equipment. An 1865 survey once called Half Dome inaccessible; however, daring and prepared hikers can find their way to the summit for a truly beautiful hike in another majestic National Park.

62 people visited Top of Half Dome Hike