- Beecher's Handmade Cheese1600 Pike Pl, Seattle, Washington 98101, USALocated in Seattle’s iconic Pike Place Market, Beecher’s wins multiple American Cheese Society awards each year and has been heralded by die-hard fans as well as The Martha Stewart Show as the “world’ ... read mores best.” The dish gets its special oomph from Beecher’s Flagship cheese, which is aged 15 months to develop its signature nutty flavor. A dash of chipotle adds a hint of smokiness. No plans to venture west? Swing by Beecher’s New York City outpost—or try the recipe at home.
- Beecher's Handmade Cheese900 Broadway, New York, New York 10003, USABeecher’s wins multiple American Cheese Society awards each year and has been heralded by die-hard fans as well as The Martha Stewart Show as the “world’s best.” The dish gets its special oomph from ... read moreBeecher’s Flagship cheese, which is aged 15 months to develop its signature nutty flavor. A dash of chipotle adds a hint of smokiness. No plans to venture east? Swing by Beecher’s flagship store in Seattle's iconic Pike Place Market -- or try the recipe at home.
- Blue Plate3218 Mission St, San Francisco, California 94110, USAThe ultimate mac and cheese for adults can be found in a cozy little restaurant on Valencia Street in the Mission District. The Blue Plate’s recipe is so revered among locals that it hasn’t changed ... read moresince 1999. The star ingredient is “Drunken” Goat Cheese, cured in Spanish red wine for two months. To offset their cheesy indulgence, patrons can pair the mac with a side of fresh local vegetables.
- Slows Bar BQ2138 Michigan Ave, Detroit, Michigan 48216, USAYou know the mac and cheese is good if it can stand proud as an entrée—with two sides of its own. Slows, an authentic barbecue joint located across the street from the abandoned Michigan Central ... read moreStation, is playing a key role in inner-city Detroit’s rejuvenation. Just a year after opening in 2005, the restaurant did a whopping $1.8 million in sales, and it has since inspired a wave of new barbecue spots throughout the city (not to mention a nearby artisanal pizza shop).
- Bay Cities Italian Deli & Bakery1517 Lincoln Blvd, Santa Monica, California 90401, USASanta Monica’s unassuming Bay Cities Italian Deli is best known for giant sandwiches with names like The Godmother. But it’s the deli’s eight-cheese mac that L.A. Weekly singles out as the area’s ... read morenumber one dish of its kind. If you choose to battle the shop’s long lunch lines, be sure to order the baked version—fans on Yelp warn the macaroni side dish isn’t nearly as tasty.
- Union Pig and Chicken220 N Highland Ave, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15206, USAIn a city known for putting French fries in its salads, it may come as no surprise that Union Pig and Chicken puts meat in its mac. Chef Kevin Sousa’s creative version combines noodles with brisket, ... read morecrumbled blue cheese, and a touch of wasabi oil. Purists can still opt for tried-and-true meatless mac and cheese.
- Parkside301 East 6th Street, Austin, TXGastropub Parkside describes its mac dish simply as “macaroni, gruyere, and cheddar” on its dinner menu, but don’t underestimate it. Chef Shawn Cirkiel, a Culinary Institute of America grad who honed ... read morehis skills at esteemed restaurants like New York’s Café Boulud, puts his wizardry to work on the mac and cheese. One user on the snobby Chowhound discussion boards professed: “I could bathe in it; it’s that good!”
- Mrs Wilkes' Dining Room107 W Jones St, Savannah, Georgia 31401, USAIt’s no surprise you can find Savannah’s best mac and cheese at the city’s most popular lunch spot. In 1943, Sema Wilkes began serving traditional southern fare at her boarding house in downtown ... read moreSavannah, and 70 years later patrons still line up outside of Mrs. Wilkes’ to savor home-cooked goodness like fried chicken, collard greens, and heavenly cheddar mac in a family-style atmosphere. (Even President Obama is a fan!)
- Local 149149 P Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02127-4343, USAAt Boston’s Local 149 (voted the best restaurant in “Southie” by the Improper Bostonian), you can order the regular mac with Velveeta. Or, you can kick it up 12 notches and choose the fritters instead ... read more—mac and cheese balls coated in bread crumbs, fried, and served up with spicy ketchup. No wonder Local 149 ranks as the city’s fourth most popular American restaurant on Foursquare.
- Cowbell8801 Oak Street, New Orleans, Louisiana 70118, USAShallots, thyme, and roasted poblano peppers: Cowbell’s chef and owner Brack May knows a thing or two about how to jazz up one of America’s most beloved dishes. In between bites of traditional New ... read moreOrleans treats like gumbo and beignets, visitors to New Orleans should add the Signature Cowbell Mac & Cheese to their must-eat list. The restaurant’s menu reads, “If you don’t get this, others will shun you. Fact.”
Help Travel + Leisure plan a great trip.Add a Recommendation