Close large map View large map

My Places

Section name:
    • La ChombaAv. Tullumayo 339, Cusco, Peru
      Kelly G. recommended La Chomba
      Was recommended by the staff at our hostel (The Point) to come here to try local authentic cuy (guinea pig). I personally found it pretty hard to find any meat on the poor thing. Plus it gave me tummy ... read more
      troubles later. Despite this, there is no doubt that this is a favorite local place as there were many locals observing our attempt to eat cuy.
      .Comment.8 months ago. Report
      Trinity thanked Kelly G. for this recommendation.
      Kelly G.

As local as it gets!

• ChichaCuzco, Peru
      Mel S Wong recommended Chicha
      Gaston Acurio's Cuzco smart casual Peruvian/International fare in Cuzco, Chi Cha serves delicious food in a cozy and beautifully decorated dining room with open kitchen. Our server was really ... read more
      attentive and made great recommendation on wines (this is on our second evening in high altitude, so wine was deemed ok). In addition to the rotisserie items, there were also delicious trucha (trout from the lakes), and traditional staples like aji de gallina and lomo saltado. Our favorite that evening, octopus cerviche, but the bread and sauce were the most memorable. The restaurant is just a block off of the plaza de armas so it is very convenient to get to...although it is located upstairs and climbing stairs in Cuzco could be quite a feat. We really had an enjoyable time dining at Chi Cha.
      .Comment.about 1 year ago. Report
      Trinity thanked Mel S Wong for this recommendation.
      Mel S Wong

Hello Trinity, when in Cuzco, you may consider paying a visit to Gaston Acurio's Chicha for dinner...especially if you are a fan of Gaston's Peruvian fares. Have fun in MP!

• Cassie Kifer commented on this list

Cuy (guinea pig) and alpaca are pretty traditional meats in that area. Quinoa is in almost everything--I had some pretty wonderful soups. Uchucuta is a pretty wonderful Andean salsa that is often served alongside the meals. The best empanadas I've ever had were at a little roadside stand between Cusco and Pisac. Muña is a really fragrant wild mint that they make into an herbal tea that I loved and bought at a local market. Cusco's San Pedro Market is amazing! So many interesting things there to see and eat. I wrote a blog post on it once, I'll send it to you if you want. Enjoy!

.Comment.about 1 year ago. Report
      Trinity thanked Cassie Kifer for this comment.
    • La RetamaSan Juan de Dios, Cusco, Peru
      Arlo Hemphill recommended La Retama
      While La Retama is a bit on the touristy end of the spectrum, I can't think of a better place in Cusco to sample traditional, Andean cuisine. Set right on the Plaza de Armas, the restaurant features ... read more
      everything from cuy to alpaca, along with the many soups, meat and potato dishes the Andes are known for. Definitely not my favorite place to eat in Cusco, but my favorite place to eat quality Peruvian food for sure.
      Arlo Hemphill

One place in particular that I recall specializes in local Andean cuisine is La Retama. It's a bit touristy, but probably the most comfortable setting to sample regional dishes. To be flat out honest with you, when I'm in the Andes I tend to eat a lot of pizza, Mexican and pub food. Andean is not my favorite of the world's local traditional cuisines. I also think it's the altitude with me - makes my appetite fickle. But I remember being lured into this place in particular after seeing alpaca on the menu and wondering what that tasted like. So, definitely worth checking out!

• Calle ProcuradoresCalle Procuradores, Cusco, Peru
      Arlo Hemphill recommended Calle Procuradores
      Calle Procuradores is what it feels like to travel to exotic places. It's nothing more than narrow, restaurant-lined alley shooting off of the Plaza de Armas, but it has an air of mystery and a ... read more
      calming, underworld allure. Procuradores has a mixed reputation due to the presence of drug dealers, peddling pot to tourists, but it also is home to some great nook restaurants. I've always felt safe here, but do recommend traveling in a group if possible. Love this place.
      Arlo Hemphill

I especially recommend visiting the little nook restaurants along Calle Procuradores, although I do suggest traveling there in a group. This is a narrow alley coming directly off the Plaza de Armas, and is sort of Cuzco's little Bohemian backpacker district. The street has a mixed reputation because it is common to find people selling weed to tourists here, but I love the vibe of the place and there really is some good food here.

• Plaza de ArmasPlaza de Armas, Cuzco Peru
      Arlo Hemphill recommended Plaza de Armas
      Exotic and familiar all at once, this is the part of Cusco to best base yourself. A beautiful plaza lined with historic buildings and throngs of great hotels, bars, restaurants, shops and travel ... read more
      agencies. The Plaza itself is beautiful and elegant, but my high rating is for the area and its surrounds as a place to base your visit. Just awesome.
      Arlo Hemphill

Hi Trinity, I'd recommend orienting yourself around the Plaza de Armas. This beautiful city square basically serves as the center of Cusco's entertainment district. You'll find dozens of restaurants of all kinds lining the plaza or just a short walk up side streets. The diversity here is staggering, with a good mix of international options and traditional Peruvian cuisine. Some of the local dishes you might find include cuy (guinea pig) and alpaca (a camelid related to the llama), along with everything imaginable made from potatoes. One excellent Peruvian seafood dish is their ceviche, but I'd recommend steering clear from that in Cusco due to freshness issues. However, if you end up with any time on your hands in Lima, it's a must try!