Tropics Hotel & Hostel
Tribes: Who likes this place?
What the scores mean:
These scores tell you how well-liked a place is in each Tribe. Gogobot Tribes are groups who share a certain travel style, like Family Travelers or History Buffs.
Which Gogobot Tribe do you belong to?Join now
- 98%Budget Travelers
Member Reviews (2)
- Tropics Hotel & HostelMember ofLuxury TravelersHistory BuffsNightlife Lovers+ 2First to ReviewOct 29, 2013
The Tropics Hotel and Hostel is in a convenient, but somewhat-quiet, location. It's very close to Lincoln Road (pedestrian-only shopping street, with nightlife and restaurants) and the beach. The Tropics is a mix between a hotel and a hostel. They provide both types of accommodations for a reasonable price. However, I was not impressed with the staff. At the front desk, they were rude and somewhat derogatory. The large pool and kitchen area are great, and the rooms are comfortable and spacious, but completely dated. I was told they were “Art Deco”, but these days, that seems like an easy way to get out of updating your hotel in Miami Beach. All in all, it's a convenient place to stay if you don't plan on spending too much time in the hotel.Recommended for:Backpackers
- Tropics Hotel & HostelMember ofLocal CultureBudget TravelersBusiness Travelers+ 7Sep 25, 2013
The old saying "you get what you pay for" couldn't be more appropriate for Tropics Hotel and Hostel. The price is really affordable, so it's great for students traveling on a budget. Plus, it's perfect for traveling in a group because you can share a room with several beds and only be subjected to your friend's snoring and not a stranger's. The shared pool and kitchen is also a nice amenity and the location is excellent. It's steps away from everywhere you want to be in South Beach: the beach, Espanola Way, Lincoln Road, and Ocean Drive. On the downside, there is strong, moldy odor throughout the building, although the old Art Deco vibe is pretty cool. It's a perfect place for outsiders to channel Scarface and Miami Vice. This place isn't for everyone and don't expect the staff to roll out the red carpet either. In fact, the receptionist acted more like a prison ward than hotel staff.
Poor473 reviews across the web.
- Guests recommend this hotel for budget travelers.
- PriceExcellent value for money, said 100%.
- Location93% appreciated the closeness to the beach.
- GroundsBeautiful grounds. Highly appreciated by 91% of guests.
- BeachWonderful beach. 91% of the guests loved it.
- FoodFood is average. Only 65% of guests had positive things to say about it.
- InternetInternet is average. Only 65% of guests gave positive comments.