I'm traveling solo to Costa Rica for 7 days, flying in to San Jose and returning from Liberia. That's all the planning I have so far!
I'd like part culture/activity, part chill at the beach.
Advice welcome on activities, locations and places to stay.
- Instituto Estelar Bilingue200 metros sur de la Antigua Gobernacion, Calle Real, Liberia, Costa Ricarecommended Instituto Estelar BilingueI studied at Instituto Estelar in January of this year. I planned to stay for one week, but ended up staying for one month and advancing 4 levels! It was an amazing experience - I really did learn A ... read moreLOT (I can more than get by now when I travel in Latin America) plus I got to do trips with the school, take extra classes (like dance and cooking), made new amazing friends, and even volunteer! I will never forget my experience and I am already planning my next classes with them =) If you are wanting to study during your trip, Instituto Estelar Bilingue is the best Spanish school in Costa Rica (in my opinion, of course). It's located in Liberia and I fell in love with this city - it's historical, the people are incredibly friendly, and it hasn't been overrun by tourists like many of the other cities in the country..Comment.5 months ago. Report
commented on this trip
Ahhh there are so many places to recommend! I recommend Monte Zuma, Playa del Coco (for the nightlife, not the beach), and Playa Flamingo. These are some of my favorite places in Costa Rica.
And I highly recommend checking out Liberia before you leave through their airport - it's a cute little town with a lot of culture. If you have time, you should check out Instituto Estelar Bilingue right there in the center of Liberia. You can learn some Spanish during your trip and have a great experience in the process! You can even contact them for more recommendations about where to go on your trip.
Good luck!.Comment.5 months ago. Report
- Poás Volcano National ParkAlajuela, Costa Ricarecommended Poás Volcano National ParkThis is pretty close to the city and worth checking out. A bud and I just got a taxi...went to the volcano...took pics...hit a local place for an authentic Costa Rican meal and back to the city before ... read morewe headed out to the interior.recommended Poás Volcano National ParkIt's 2h-3h from San Jose, and it's an amazing volcano, with a lot of restaurants near it, you can also go hiking on its surroundings.
- El Cuartel de la Boca del MonteDiagonal al cine Magaly, San Jose Costa Ricarecommended El Cuartel de la Boca del MonteThis is by far my favorite bar in Costa Rica. It's gets a mixed crowd of young college students and adventure seekers heading out to surf, fish, scuba, zip line, etc...They have a good selection of ... read morelocal beers and mixed drinks. Lively spot with a chill Pura Vida atmosphere
- Machu PicchuAvenida 1, San Jose, Costa Ricarecommended Machu PicchuI ate here years ago, but it had been open awhile already back then. It was one of the better meals I had in San Jose. They had great ceviche and made a mean Pisco Sour.
- Hotel EuropaCalle Central, Avenidas 3 y 5, San Jose 7712-1000, Costa Ricarecommended Hotel Europa
- Casa Yoses HostelAvenida 8, San Jose, Costa Ricarecommended Casa Yoses Hostel
- Espirit Whitewater3 Chemin Esprit, Mansfield-et-Pontefractrecommended Espirit WhitewaterOne of the really great Canadian white water outfitters. Close to Ottawa on the Quebec side. Great company with lots of great whitewater rafting on the Ottawa river. They also do Mexico and Costa ... read moreRica..Comment.8 months ago. ReportD'Maris Coffman
Great outfitter if you want to do some white water: http://www.whitewater.ca/esprit_mexico_adventures.html
- Hotel Banana AzulPlaya Negra, Puerto Viejo, Costa Ricarecommended Hotel Banana AzulHotel Banana Azul is a great little resort located on a black sand beach just north of the popular surfer/backpacker town of Puerto Viejo. The hotel is a laid back place with lush grounds, a new pool, ... read moreand a large cool-water Jacuzzi. There's a good range of reasonably priced rooms--from basic garden level to a two-bedroom apartment--that feature rich local hardwoods and artful decor; a full breakfast was included in the rate the last time I checked. The only bummer, which is kind of random, are the bamboo beds frames, which creak at the slightest movement (the owners definitely are aware of the situation, though, and are dealing with it). It's also located next to Cahuita National Park, which in combination with Puerto Viejo, has tons of outdoor options beyond snorkeling and diving: hiking, animal-spotting, zip lines, river rafting, kayaking, fishing, and of course, surfing. It's easy to plan your own excursions but if you prefer to let someone else do the work (it's your vacation afterall!), there is a recommended tour operator on-site, Gecko Trail Adventures..Comment.8 months ago. Report
- Don Juan Coffee TourBarrio Orquideas, Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve 60109, Costa Rica
- Playa TamarindoTamarindo, Costa Rica
- Area de Conservación GuanacasteAlajuela Costa Rica
- Terraventuras Jungle ExpeditionsCalle 213, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
- Cartago24 Sureste de San Jose, Cartago Costa Rica
- Crocodile Man TourCrocodile Man Tour Office, Jaco, Costa Rica
- Volcán IrazúCentral Volcanic Range, San Jose Costa Rica
- The Butterfly FarmCosta Rica Entomological Supply. La Guacima, Alajuela, Costa Rica.
- Arenal Volcano Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
- Casa 6969 calle 25 bis San Jose Costa Rica, Costa Rica
- Teatro Nacional de Costa RicaAvenida Segunda, San Jose, Costa Rica