Umami Burger

452 University Ave. Palo Alto, CA

• Umami BurgerPro 2014

've been to Umami a dozen of times, but not at this location. Glad it's much closer than SF.

Nice and tidy library theme at this Umami Burger restaurant. I came with my group of friends during non-peak hour so we were seated right away. We must have came on a good day because their service was excellent. Accommodating to our every needs especially toward the two little munchkins that was with us.

We ordered:

- Smushed Potatoes = it's like crack! Crispy on the outside and mushy on the inside. Must get it!!!

- Truffle me = thin fries smoother in truffle cheese. Wish they added Parmesan like the location in SF.

- Cheesy tater tots = nicely deep fried but couldn't really taste the cheese.

- The B.U.B. = two meat patties (thinking to myself it was going to be small), cooked medium rare just how I liked it. Every bite I took, the juice was dripping, now that awesome!

- Truffle burger = I usually get this so I recommended this burger to my friend. She loved it! Simple and a little on the smaller portion.

- All Nighter (PA exclusive) = my friend enjoyed this one so much. I wanted to try but was so full from my burger. Next time I'm going to give it a try.

I notice this Umami Burger location does not have Bacon-Wrapped Scallop Burger. According to my bestie, she said "they don't have pig ears on their secret menu!", I want to try that as well. Overall, I had a wonderful experience at this location.

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersBudget TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
  • Umami Burger

Like the original LA Umami Burger, this one does not disappoint. The burger is crazy delicious, and who doesn't love shoestring fries? It's a bit of a tight squeeze, but worth it if you're a hamburger lover.

• Umami BurgerAmbassadorPro 2014

I was cravings burgers having not eaten one in months, so Umami Burger was a fresh joy of relief!!! Located in downtown Palo Alto, this is one burger joint that is not to be missed! The indoor decor is quite different from all the other burger joints; instead of showing sports memorabilia or showcasing the classic diner props, Umami Burger is set up more like a bookstore, with shelves of books acting as dividers and the books as reading material. Quite a lovely set up!

The burgers were delicious, and are quite creative, ranging from the Ahi Tuna burger to the Poutine Burger(s) [bunless burger over fries in gravy] to my Triple Pork burger in a lettuce wrap. The sweet potato fries were delicious, as the sweetness mixed quite well with a pinch of saltiness. In addition, the fried pickles were a joy to snack on also!

Give Umami Burger a try, as the burgers are juicy, creative, and all come with a twist!

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesNightlife LoversTrendsters
  • Umami BurgerPro 2014

Amazing place. Came here with friends and had the Truffle Burger along with their pickle platter. The pickle platter was full of flavor and really danced in my mouth. The truffle burger was amazing too and is one of the best burgers -- bar none, that I have in my life. COME HERE.

• Umami BurgerPro 2014

Really tasty. Had the truffle burger with short ribs on top. Yum. Not sure it quite lives up to the hype, but I would go back. Onion rings are great as well.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodies
  • Umami Burger

Umami burger is simply amazing. Their patty is the best I've tried so far, and yes, as most people, I've tried a lot of different burgers. Umami's meat is super tasty and cooked to perfection. Their bun is also heavenly... it is super soft and melts in your mouth.

I also tried their thin fries and tempura onion rings and loved both. Everything is tasty and beautifully deep fried, so don't worry about extra greasy things, you won't find that here.

And as if serving yummy burgers was not enough, their service and ambiance is great. And as for prices, their burgers are not on the cheap side but they are so good that it is totally worth it.

• Umami BurgerPro 2014

I've got to say that for me this is the most tasty burger i've ever tried. Their burgers are more into the minimalist style, but cooked to perfection, the patty is tick juicy and full of flavor. I was really impressed by everything they served, from the french fries, to the bum which has an "U" marked on top showing there attention to details, the waiter was also really nice and everything was really perfect. I had a great time.

• Umami Burger

Came here on a Friday night shortly after it opened. The wait was decent, about 30 min for a party of 2 around 8pm. The hostess was actually really considerate, we had decided to walk down the street while we waited, and actually missed our name being called, but we were back 2 min later and they had held our table for us because they knew we were coming back, which I appreciated! Service here is very good and speedy too, you can tell they are optimizing for turning over their tables quickly, but it never felt like anyone was rushing us. The Beet Salad was a little light on the beets, I wished there had been more beets, but it was still tasty. I thought it was weird that they didn't give you a glass with your soda or beer, but that was a minor thing.

• Umami Burger

Good, but not worth $11-15 you pay for a small burger. You can save your money and get 4 In-n-Out burgers instead.

• Umami Burger

The Palo Alto location just opened up 2 weeks ago. It has been a few years since I had Umami and this time around, I wasn't as thrilled. The burgers were medicore. My all time fave is In-N-Out. With this said, you can tell I am not a huge burger fan. Service is great and it get's super packed.

• Umami Burger

Truffle Royale Burger is the best!
    Topped with braised short rib and beer cheddar cheese

Recommended for:Local CultureFoodiesTrendsters