Umamicatessen

852 S. Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90014

• UmamicatessenAmbassadorPro 2014
    Kat Sun
    4 Nov 17, 2013

This listing has the wrong address! It's 852 S Broadway Ave, Los Angeles :)

I was eager to come here since I LOVE Umami's burgers; I crave them sometimes. A little pricey, yeah, but they're hearty gourmet burgers.

The menu and restaurant is organized in different sections...there's Umami, Pigg, The Cure (kosher), and I think there's a coffee part too.

We got the pig ears to start and I wasn't too keen on this...but once I got over the fact that they were pig ears, they were good. Not greasy tasting, although a bit salty from the stuff they put on them.

A guy from the meats area (next to where we were seated) came over with a plate of prosciutto on toasted baguette on the house! Yummy! How nice :)

I got the Reuben sandwich and it was delicious...so much meat! My mom and brother enjoyed their burgers. The truffle burger is the best!

Got the Tres Leches donut to finish. Wow, amazing...yummy.

It was a bit pricey, but the concept is different and I would come back again to try other items when I'm in the area.

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodies
    Alice Ly
    1 Oct 29, 2013

TL;DR: There was a piece of metal in one of our burgers. And it was not comped.

The whole review:

Our group of 8 rolled in on a Saturday night at around 10 pm and it took 20 minutes to get seated.

There were PLENTY of tables, just not enough servers, so they didn't seat us right away. Because there were plenty of seats, I witnessed a father complaining very loudly to the hostess that his family should be seated instead of just standing around. Although he raised his voice in irritation (understandably), I felt that the hostess could've handled it more professionally instead of asking him rather shortly to not yell at her.

Yay good impression.

When we finally got seated, our waiter was a very jolly guy, who kind of reminded me of Ruby Rhod from 5th Element. :P He was fun but in the end, didn't perform to standards (more on that later)

Everyone got a round of burgers, mainly the Truffle Burger, while I got the Pigg Breakfast Sandwich. I was intrigued by the Pig Ear Bacon which was strips of pig ear fried to a crisp. The english muffin was a bit soggy and overall it just felt like a glorified McGriddle.

All sides are separately charged though, so burger prices are definitely not worth it.

When we were almost finished with dinner, my friend found a piece of metal wire in his burger. It looked around 1.5 inches long and he was able to extract it from his mouth before it did any harm.

The situation was told to both the hostess and to the waiter, and we thought it'd be taken care of.

Nope.

Our bill came, and the burger was not comped. There was no manager coming out to apologize. There was no "Hey, we're sorry you almost swallowed a metal wire, here's _______ to show our sincere apologies." Seriously?

My friend isn't one to press on matters like this, so we left it alone there. But I, on the other hand, hate seeing this happen so that's why I'm writing this review in hopes the restaurant will see.

I would not come back since the food wasn't mind-blowing, and the customer service isn't up to par.

Recommended for:FoodiesNightlife Lovers
    Aren
    2 Jun 21, 2013

Writing an entire review for donuts seems taxing, so I'll try to keep it curt.

My friends ordered the FB&J and the tres leches. I ordered the beignets.

Beignet(s):

I did not know it was going to be on the lower end of plural as I only received 2. When I think of beignets, I think of a mound of at least 3. Give me something to work with, seriously. Chicory coffee chilled icing was very interesting, though.

Tres Leches:

More of a cake than a donut. Served cold. My friend did not like it too much, but I thought it was tasty. Especially, with the leftover icing I had from my beignet(s).

FB&J:

My other friend had never tried foie gras before, so I was surprised that he wanted this donut. I'm not the biggest fan.

That being said, nobody liked this $8 donut. It was horrible. The smell alone was enough to turn our appetites.

You know when you get a scrape and you put on a bandage for awhlie and when you pull it off it's all gross and mucousy? That plus the funky rind of brie smelled like this donut.

Overall, it was a ho-hum experience. There was nothing special about the donuts. In fact, they were slightly too yeasty.

The entire place just comes off as gimmicky. Is that the Umami experience?

Ericayvette
    3 Apr 10, 2013

4 differnt kitchens under one big roof. Pig, Cure, Umami, and one more kitchen that rotates. we only tried THE Umami kitchen and our favorites were truffle burger, manly burger, port burger, and shoe string fries.service is spotty.... probably give this place another shot soon.

Jessica Y.
    4 Feb 02, 2013

Oh, aren't you so hip now?
    Attaching that -catessen to an overpriced burger joint, and adding a modern twist to the classic concept of a delicatessen. Complete with Matzo Ball soup, a selection of cured hams (there is a curing station!), and even a list of specialty espressos & pastries (a list of made to fried donuts), Umami burger expanded in a revamped, modern, DT historical building.

We ordered the classic Umami burgers, which are nothing new if you're familiar to burgers in LA.
    Truffle burger - truffle glaze, so damn delicious
    Manly burger - huge in height and I always appreciate thick bacon bits in a burger
    **My only gripe about Umami burgers is that they're too soft and lack texture, making the burger mushy throughout.

We also ordered the PIGG Fries - fries with ham puree, pickled peppers, and brainaise. Yes, BRAIN-aise, an aioli with blended pig brains. I was not really a fan of this. Although everything tasted okay separately, I think the brainaise gave it a funky livery aftertaste. Perhaps it was because the thought of brains freaks me out.

And of course, we ended our gluttonous journey with desserts and ordered the beignets with burnt sugar/coffee dipping sauce. I expected beignets to be a tad but lighter and fluffier, where these beignets were thicker in texture, comparable to donuts. The dipping sauce was yummy.

All in all, it's a satisfying version of Umami Burger if you're a fan of that type of burger. I would like to come back to try the PB&J donut with foie gras, and also try the different types of deli entrees Umami attempts.

JR Cajigas
    5 Sep 24, 2012

Let's get this straight: I am a fan of burgers, but not of Umami. So fast-forward to now and this new Downtown addition to the Umami family. It's Artwalk night and this place is crowded, but not to the max. There are a ton of tables, but my solo-diner calling was to the bar. It was pretty loud and active in here, and I'm sure with the Umami name, flocks of burger connoisseurs visit.

-=- Umami Burger -=- I held myself back from getting the truffled burger, because I knew I had to try the name-sake for my potentially last visit here. It was pretty dang good. The meat patty made this burger. There was a bit of sloppy joe flavoring on the patty, which I welcomed as far as flavored meat is concerned. The bun was grilled and lightly oiled. I did notice a crispy layer in there, which was probably the parmesan, didn't taste it anyway. Everything else in there was pretty forgettable, but it was due to the tastiness of the meat. A bit of a negative was that my patty was poorly constructed, and was breaking apart, but nothing that a little sloppy meat-off-the-plate grabbing can't fix.

-=- Thin Fries -=- Not a fan. Don't get me wrong, these were good, but I just don't like thin. They are hard to eat and I couldn't get enough of the...

-=- Dips: Umami Ketchup, Jalepeno Ranch, Diablo -=- Let me start by saying that my bar guy Curt was awesome, enthusiastic, and attentive. I never asked for drink refills, but he knew when I needed it. I was going to limit myself to 2 dip flavors, but when I asked for a recommendation he gave me 3. The Diablo was the spicy one. It was a bit overly spicy over flavor though. The Umami Ketchup had a perfect kick to it. It was my favorite dip and Curt said there was a secret to it...so shhhhhh. The Jalepeno Ranch was a tribute to my ranch addiction. It was good and I'd probably get it again, but it wasn't add-jalapenos-to-the-world's-ranch-supply good.

Next time I will try the donuts. Everyone at the bar seemed to be ordering it, but hell...I just downed a burger. I'll bring my A-stomach next time.

MzShanon
    3 Sep 11, 2012

I felt deprived as so many people I know have tried Umami Burger except for myself, so determined to lose my Umami virginity I decided to check out Umamicatessen. I came with a friend on a Sunday and the parking/traffic around the area was already horrendous. Eventually we found $5 parking in a nearby lot. The area is pretty bad since it's located right in the middle of downtown LA. I would not recommend coming here late at night, unless you want to risk the chances of getting mugged.

We were seated promptly and did not have to wait in line. We ordered the truffle fries, 2 umami burgers, cripsy pig ears, and tres leches and foie gras donuts. I think I enjoyed the tres leches donut the most out of everything we ordered. The umami burger tasted very bland to me and I'm not a fan of pig ears and pig brain sauce so it didn't faze me. I think overall everything seemed more hyped up then it really was. The price of everything was also quite ridiculous. Unfortunately I don't see myself coming back here again unless I wanted a quick donut run but then again there's always Krispy Kreme.

Risa Yanai
    4 Jul 25, 2012

Even though I was never really a fan of UMAMI burger, I have to say that I was pretty excited about this new UMAMIcatessen that recently opened in downtown LA. I wasn't too fond of a small crowded restaurant with overpriced burgers that were a bit too oily for me, but that all changed with a bigger and better space, more variety of food and drinks on the menu and better service.

My truffle burger was still a bit too oily for me, but with the better selection of beers to wash the grease down, it wasn't so bad. You MUST try the pigs ear with brainaise (pork brain and mayo...) Sounds a bit crazy, but it was only crazy good!

I'm pretty surprised but I really love this place!

Sue Zhou
    5 Jul 15, 2012

Kosher style deli food. 6 menus to choose from! Smoked sturgeon, crispy pig ears, pâté crostini just to name a few. This is one step up from
    Umami burger -- more choices !! And delicious drinks !!!

Richard P

Ate at UMAMIcatessen this past Friday for lunch with my mom. Unfortunately, being that it was Friday I wasn't able to try all the meat dishes, but I still very satisfied with what we ordered.

Parking:

Parking is a little difficult because it is located in Downtown. You can try finding street parking or parking in one of the many lots in the area. Chances are you will likely end up paying for parking.

Ambiance:

A bit of a warehouse style restaurant. Not very intimate. If you plan on a nice quite place to eat, this isn't it. However, if you want a cool place to eat, drink beers/cocktails, and chat with friends this will work.

Service:

The service was great. Very helpful and attentive. We were quickly seated (Friday mid-day) with in 5 minutes.

Food:

We ordered the following:

Shrimp Burger: Interesting! I have never seen a shrimp burger before. Filled with a nice meaty shrimp patty. It's buttery and delicious.

AHI Tuna Burger: A rare seared AHI patty topped with pickled carrots, sprouts, and avocado. I like this better than the Shrimp Burger. It feels like a light clean meal.

Truffle Fries: Yummy! Fries topped with truffle cheese.

Tres Leches Donut: My favorite part of the meal! A cake donut soaked in milk, topped with whip cream and sprinkled with cinnamon. As you can imagine it was super moist.

Overall a great meal! I definitely have to come back on a day I can eat meat. I really want to try some of the other dishes.

Yulree Chun "@GogobotLA"
    3 Jul 05, 2012

From the folks who brought you Umami. I think the food was pretty good, nothing spectacular. I thought the space was really fun. However, one thing that made our experience difficult was that they don't take reservations and they don't seat you until your whole party arrives.

Marisa Thu
    4 Feb 09, 2013

Cocktails with burgers and off menu cheese tots. Order them! Veggie burger is good and filling.

Kyle Murphy
    4 Dec 20, 2012

Try the dulce de leche donut!

Ash Eliot

Shrimp burger is a must-try! Usually, my go-to is The Earth burger.

Amber Bechtel