Urth Caffe

451 S Hewitt St., Los Angeles, CA 90013

Yulree Chun "@GogobotLA"
    4 Jun 11, 2013

Urth's savory foods are meh but their desserts are heavenly! Their pumpkin pie is the best I've ever had, and don't get me started on their chocolate ganache cake. Also try their Spanish latte and their green tea!

Recommended for:FoodiesStudentsBackpackers
    Ann Ani Hung
    4 Aug 15, 2013
    Tran Do
    4 Feb 19, 2014

Urth Caffes have amazing drinks and food selections for the health concious foodie. Highly recomend their spanish latte and cappucino. Their downtown location is also where they make their pastries that's why it's a must to visit if you have a sweet tooth.

Recommended for:Local CultureTrendstersVegetarianWellness
    Hanae
    4 Nov 06, 2013

Great healthy place for bfast/brunch/lunch. It's a bit pricey.

Their soup is enough to satisfy my craving for salty stuff and the green tea (matcha) latte to give me a sugar boost. Their green tea latte is my favorite! You can tast the subtle bitterness of the match. If you're lucky, yours might have a pic of a teddy bear :D

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury TravelersTrendstersVegetarian
    Elaine
    5 Jul 13, 2014

Love urth! The honey vanilla latte and green tea are the best! Their flavor kind of tastes like marshmallow or an extra added ingredient. Their salads are massive and filling too!

Re becca
    3 Apr 17, 2014

been to Urth once before and everything was decently tasty.
    esp the lattes i had !

I went in again for the second time last night, as i have been hearing great things about the Spanish Latte, and thought i Must try it!

we ordered the Spanish Latte, the Honey Vanilla latte, Flour-less chocolate cake (heated) and the Yelped raved Pumpkin pie.

I think it was sugar overload and I was full but not satisfy!
    The two lattes tasted too me like regular brewed coffees! the flour-less chocolate cake is probably better tasting freshly made because it tasted like something i could of got from a supermarket. The pumpkin pie was not bad compare to the chocolate cake.. in the end we were begging for water! We probably should of calmed down on the sweets!

Ill come back because i truly enjoyed the ambiance and the dtla feel. This time ill make sure to try something else..Sadly the Spanish Coffee was a miss for me!

Steven Lam
    4 Jun 07, 2013

This is a nice little caffe just right outside of little tokyo, It has the most awesome teas and drinks for the drinkers including coffee. The place is usually packed with people and it is very chill for those that like to have a hangout spot to go to. The places closes at 11pm and has lots of veggie options to choose from including all the healthy type foods that people like to eat.

Recommended for:FoodiesVegetarian
    Jaak Treiman
    4 Apr 19, 2013

I can’t add anything to the earlier reviews. Urth is a delightful place to take visitors who come here with preconceived ideas of what L.A. is all about. Located within sight of City Hall, it is only a few blocks from the much maligned but still significant Los Angeles River. It is in the middle of what used to be the heart of the Los Angeles manufacturing district and is now adjacent to the Arts District and an integral part of the Los Angeles Clean Tech Corridor.

Jen
    5 Feb 13, 2013

Mmmmm. Green tea latte and fruit tart. As good as it gets here. I could totally spend the whole day here.

Richard P
    4 Dec 12, 2012

Recently visited this location last week. Located east of Downtown I would have never guessed there would be an Urth Cafe there. It's literally surrounded by warehouses.

Parking:

Parking is a bit of hassel. You can try driving around to find parking on the street or you can just pay a few bucks for valet.

Food:

The food is decent. They have a bunch of yummy pastries and pies. I also tried the breakfast panini which was quiet tasty. But the real reason to visit is the coffee. I had both the Vanilla Honey Latte and the Spanish Latte. Both were very good. You even have the option of getting the coffee mild or strong.

Ambiance:

The have some seating inside. However on a nice sunny day I would prefer to sit outside on their large patio.

This is definitely a great place to hang out and grab some breakfast on the weekends. I will definitely be back.

Steven C
    5 Oct 31, 2012

Giant cup of Spanish latte. Who knew lattes could have so much flavor? loved it. Oh, the latte art is pretty cool too.

Mmarthie
    5 Jul 01, 2014

I know. I'm an Urth Caffe addict.

When I say addict, I mean I ate twice there in one day. I know. I'm an addict or in other terms, fiend. I'm really trying to control myself, but...

...that Light Combo with a small Urth Salad and yummy and hearty Vegetarian Chili just keeps me coming for more.

...that soy Green Tea Blend with boba makes me crave having those yummy, chewy tapioca balls with creamy icy green tea swirling in my mouth.

...that Fruit Platter tastes as good as it looks: refreshing, delicious, and kinda sexy with those mini grapes I can eat like those fancy European women that get painted laying on a bed with a plate of grapes.

..that Fresh Squeezed Grape Fruit & Watermelon juice is juicy, not too sweet, and fulfills my quench for juicy goodness.

...that Multigrain waffle with Fruit on top. Refreshing and crispy. I love getting bananza and strawbaycious here!

What can I say? I'm an addict.

Recommended for:Vegetarian
    May W
    5 Oct 05, 2012

I can't believe it took me 3-4 tries before actually locating this Urth Caffe! It's embarrassing it has taken months before I actually located this awesome cafe since I'm a regular in Little Tokyo these days.

My gal pal and I had a late dinner together a while back. We opt to sit inside since it was getting windy outdoors. Yes, they have heat lamps, but I get cold super easily! I'm glad we stayed indoors because I got to people watch while enjoying my super amazing butternut squash soup.

The soup came in a pretty big bowl and was accompanied by two pieces of bread and butter. The soup was smooooth as silk and I just wanted to wolf it all down. The whole thing cost less than $7 and was one of the best soups I've ever had from a cafe. I have been back a few times and they didn't serve this soup so I guess the menu changes depending on availability.

I also liked their Sunrise pizza. It's about $12 for small tiny slices, but if you are a meat lover like me, it's so worth it!!! I also really liked the blended green tea boba drink...it's sinfully good.

Catherine
    4 Oct 02, 2012

Urth Caffe seems a little out of place in the Arts District, but it's a great find!

They offer a lot of breakfast and sandwich options, as well as desserts and coffee.

I love their pumpkin pie! Their tiramisu and fruit tarts are good too. The cheesecake is pretty dense, but most of their cakes are good.

Also, try their spanish latte - delicious. And they do latte art here!

Rosemary Tsai
    3 Sep 25, 2012

Why did I drive all the way here from Irvine? Well, they got HELLO KITTY of course! If there's Hello Kitty, I'll chase after it.

I got their honey vanilla latte so that I can compare it to Kean's. I think it's a good drink, but I would like the coffee a little bite stronger and a little bite less sweet. I would come here if I happen to be in LA, but I would not drive here for it.

I also got their bread pudding. It was good, but the best I had was still at Ruth Chris. I wanted the bread pudding to be a little bite hotter, and maybe a little bite more sauce on it. Nonetheless, it was still pretty good.

All in all, would come back here if I happen to be in LA, but would not drive from Irvine to here just to get coffee. I would need my daily dose of coffee before I start driving there already.

JR Cajigas
    4 Sep 24, 2012

Drinks: Spanish Latte.

I spend many of my Sunday's here after church. Urth is popular for being patroned by many celebrities and usually has a line out the door. Do not let these things deter you from the deliciousness of their spanish latte. I am a coffee fiend by addiction with a black to get me started, and a frothy to cap my days. It's typical for this place to have absolutely no place to sit, but once you are relaxing at a table, the atmosphere makes up for the wait. The service staff is typically friendly, clearing tables frequently to make room for more guests.

Steph Chen
    4 Sep 15, 2012

Went to this location after hanging out at USC for the Festival of Books. Definitely a different feel from the Santa Monica location, though just as beautiful. Great, energetic crowd and the place is buzzing with people engaged in nice, calm conversation fueled by caffeine. Excellent place to take a friend out to, or to just get some reading done.

JohnMichael

A great day can only be followed up by great dessert.

It had been a very long day and fortunately my sister had the good graces to bring me to a mellow space for some quiet talk time. Hell, it had been a long weekend of hangovers and too many people at the happiest place on earth. All I wanted to do at this point was chill, eat a lil something that was sweet and have some coffee or other equally caffeinated concoction to put me to sleep.

And this was exactly what the doctor ordered:
    coconut custard..
    strawberry shake...
    tea that puts me to sleep..
    honey vanilla latte thingy...
    berry cake.. berry good!
    ;D

Sharon K. Yapp
    4 Jul 03, 2012

This is a great brunch spot in downtown LA. The coffee never fails (try the Spanish Latte if you have a sweet tooth). The brunch/lunch food is good. I find that the always slightly overdress the salad, so ask for dressing on the side.

Lisa D
    5 Jul 14, 2013

Great food. Best bobas in town. It can be crowd, but it's a fun place to eat lunch.

4,531 people visited Urth Caffe