Are these your places? Login to add or edit your reviews.

Did you know? Friends find reviews that are two sentences or more the most helpful.

Natalie Tsang checked in to
Added over 1 year ago via Facebook
Lynn
99号 Xikang Road, Jing'an, Shanghai, China, 200040
Natalie Tsang's rating: 4

Billed as modern Shanghai cuisine, my Shanghainese co-workers weren't impressed by the flavors. I thought the food was pretty good, but the serving size was alright and the presentation was pretty.
I think the most amazing thing they had was their extensive wine cellar on the display by the bathrooms. However, they didn't know to switch glasses for each new wine.

Thai Gallery
127-1 Da tian road/ Beijing west road
Natalie Tsang's rating: 3

Awesome decor. You enter the entrance via an automatic sliding door and then pass a miniature fountain. We ate upstairs and the place mats had black and white drawings. They provided tumblers full of crayons.
The food was good, but the portions were small and overpriced. The broccoli was too salty and the duck curry was 75 RMB for a pretty small bowl (maybe 2 servings) and perhaps one entire drumstick of duck.
Obviously, this is one of the places you go to impress a date, not get a memorable meal.

Kota's Kitchen
2905号 Xietu Road, Xuhui, Shanghai, China
Natalie Tsang's rating: 5

Purportedly the best ramen in Shanghai, my co-workers and I just had to try it out. The 45 RMB tonkotsu ramen was delicious, even though the noodles could be a little more chewy. The broth was wonderful and the pork was thick and fatty. There are also complimentary pickled veggies with lemon mayo and sweet, spicy sauce.
The decor was dark, cozy, and Beatles-themed with music in the background.
We also got some yakitori. Be sure to make reservations. The menu is in English, Japanese, and Chinese.

M on the Bund
7F, 5 The Bund, Shanghai, 31 2000 China
Natalie Tsang's rating: 4

I went there for their brunch and it was pretty amazing for Shanghai. The portion size was perfect, as in not super huge Mc-westernized portions or teeny tiny fancy smancy portions. The service was at times slow, but everyone spoke English and it's a gorgeous, bright, and airy restaurant with a terrace and a great view of the Pearl Tower.
I had a peppermint tea and orange juice, along with mushrooms and polenta and a frisee salad with duck confit. The polenta was really well flavored, savory without being too salty or buttery, and garnished with big flakes of parmesan.
The portion was perfect for a starter. The peppermint tea did not taste as strongly as peppermint as I would like and the strainer caught a disappointingly small amount of leaves. I think part of my disappointment was the fact that I didn't get the coffee, which came in its own French press and smelled really really good.
The salad was more of a duck leg on a small bed of greens with a lovely poached egg. The duck was on the dry side, but the greens had that nice bitterness that contrasted well with the meat.
The other two people I was with ordered Eggs Benedict and I was told that the eggs were perfectly poached.
Overall, I would totally go again, except for the fact that I'm fairly sure that it's priced outside of my budget.
7/F, No. 5 The Bund
(corner of Guangdong Lu)
Shanghai 20002 China
Tel:8621 63509988

Natalie Tsang's rating: 3

Way out of my price range, but they have quite possibly the best public bathrooms in Shanghai. It's right next to the Apple flagship and has mostly luxury brand stores (Dior, BVLGARI, LV, etc).

Natalie Tsang's rating: 3

A friend recommended this place to me when I confessed a cupcake craving. He recommended the red velvet that he had tried at the Nanjing Lu branch. He described it as looking just like Wagas, and when I saw one in icf, the luxury mall, I thought I'd give it try.
Baker & Spice has baked goods, breads, and hence sandwiches. They have a variety of drinks, but I just felt like a cupcake. Unfortunately, they were out of red velvet but they did have a chocolate cupcake with chocolate whipped cream and ganache for 18 RMB. I sat down on a wooden bench and dug in with a fork. The cake was moist, the cream was a bit runny, and the ganache was more sweet than chocolatey but over all, not bad.
As you can probably tell, I'm Asian and I wasn't treated as well as the group of Westerners that sat next to me. This is a pretty common phenomenon. The woman wanted a chicken breast sandwich and two servers came over and explained that there was no chicken breast, but they had ham. They then let her sample the ham, gave her the sandwich, and then checked in later.
So, if you're not white, bring a white person.
They also sell tiny macarons for 8 RMB.
195 Anfu Lu, Shanghai

1376 Nanjing Xi Lu
East Tower Rm 118, Shanghai

Shanghai ifc mall <-- I went to this one
8 Century Ave LG1-16

Citizen Cafe
222 Jinxian Road, Shanghai, 31 2000 China
Natalie Tsang's rating: 4

I went here for brunch and coffee today. My friend and I both got the lemon pasta with smoked salmon for 49 RMB downstairs. There was also complimentary rosemary bread with butter. It was still warm. We ate downstairs because the second floor does not open until 12. I recommend that you get there early because it filled up within an hour.
After lunch, we went upstairs on the patio and I had a cafe au lait for 25 RMB. It was the second best coffee I've had so far in Shanghai. The other time was at the Renaissance Hotel. We stayed for a few hours doing homework and people watching.

East West Theatre
23号 Haichao Road, Huangpu, Shanghai, China
Natalie Tsang's rating: 4

I saw a production of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern by East West Theatre. Tickets were 150. It was held next to an art gallery, but I'm not sure if all their performances are held there. It was great to see an international cast and there was a free wine tasting.
east.west.info@gmail.com