Vals Burgers

2115 Kelly Street, Hayward, CA, United States

717 people visited Vals Burgers

6:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Tues.-Sat.

Spiritual Seekers

Scott Daly
    5 Jan 23, 2013

WOW! the best burger in the bay area NO DOUBT!!! and the best memory of growing up a bay area kid.

i have dreams at night of val's burgers and the owners thick black mustache. both look very cool but one tastes better than the other!!

this is my all time favorite place to get a burger! now i know a good burger and i've had my share of burgers but this is my place! been going here for over 30 years and i'm only 34!

the burgers come in 3 sizes; baby-1/3, mama-1/2 and papa-1lb. .all bout the mama burger for me as i prefer one beef patty if i'm super hungry i'll get 2 but that is so rare! fresh condiments- onions, relish, pickles are at every table for fixing your burger (cheese and tomatoes are extra). the best part is they way they cook it...the real way...CHARBROILED, that lovely charred taste!!

the fries and onion rings are so scrumptious and tender inside. they come in large baskets that can be shared between you and all of your friends for around $3. i gotta get the fries as they have the best classic thick cut fries. i never life soft fries but i make the exception for val's fries, OH MY!! a shake to top things off is the way to go! they have so many flavors to choose from but i usually go with banana or pineapple.

cool to see the staff for the most part is the same as when i started going there and after all this time they still remember my face! love how they keep it in the family! u can go for breakfast lunch and dinner but anytime i go i always gotta get my burger on! most of the time u go there is somewhat of a wait on a busy weekend night be ready to wait but so worth it i swear to god!

val's isn't the easiest place to find in hayward as it's not on the main drag but if you find a burger lover around the area they better know of val's or that person needs to move out of hayward now! parking is a drag too as they have as many spaces as they do tables but patience always works out. i just wish they were open on sunday's and monday's cause i get my cravings 7 days a week. i guess i need those 2 days off so i can keep up my cute girlish figure! :)

Mo
    3 Jul 04, 2012

Some people say this is "the best burger in the bay" but i've had better. unless i went on a bad night - the burger was not as scrumptious as people make it to be. it was good, don't get me wrong, but not the "best" ..and i LOVE burgers. i was actually pretty hungry too so this satisfied my cravings, but the bottom bun was soaked in the burger juice. some people may like that, but i'd prefer not to have a soggy bun. --hopefully it was just a bad night, like i said. i have yet to go again but one day i'll go back, give it another try.

Warning tho, parking is very, very limited. and there's only one entrance/exit spot. There's a house in the back that allocates for some room to turn your car around.. so don't plan to take a big truck there.

• Vals BurgersPro 2014
    Eric Brink
    • Local Culture
    • Outdoor Enthusiasts

Val's has been open since 1958 and wears its retro age well. Even at 5 PM, the place was busy and we happily took seats at the counter and in front of the grill. We also enjoyed the curved wood ceilings, the original posted menu boards (with prices long blocked out), watching the diverse community dining with us, and of course the high linoleum factor. Our waitress was friendly and I really appreciated here kindness towards my son and the extra milkshake glass.

We also both ordered Mama burgers, as the 1 pound papa seemed a little excessive. We also skipped the steak fries as a single order would easily feed 3-4 people. Both burgers were delicious and juicy, and with the shake were more than enough food for both of us. We had a great time together and left full and happy.

Val's is "cash only" business, and I immediately realized that when we walked in. However, there is an ATM at the liquor store across the street. At the same time the traffic near this intersection of Center, Kelly, and B is busy and complicated and you risk life and limb going over there.

JohnMichael
    • Local Culture
    • Outdoor Enthusiasts

oh yeah!
    They have mayo at the table.....they have MAYO at the table!!!
    Love the burgers....the fries and onion rings!!! Beer battered anything is great. The milkshakes....oh yeah. I'm lactose and I still love the milkshakes. That should speak volumes. Of course while I was there I had to maintain a sense of decorum...not because of the venue but because there was a boat load of cops in there and I didn't want to draw any more attention myself than I already was.
    *when was the last time you climbed a fence?
    *the last time I was running away from a cop...
    XD