Venice Beach

1905 Ocean Front Walk, CA

LGBT
    Pam Groft
    4 Sep 04, 2012

I love some of the smaller hidden eateries on the side streets. At Venice Beach anything goes so be prepared during the day time. At night the pace seems o slow down a bit but it is still fun to people and dog watch!

Miriam Loquias
    5 Aug 21, 2012

very nice place to stroll/eat, like baywalk in Manila, Philippines, lots of resto, music, etc, etc.

David Eastin
    5 Aug 09, 2012

I love this part of the city! It's a fun and eclectic part of town that's full of sand, people, restaurants, clubs, tarot card readers, jugglers, mimes, hot dog stands, and legal marijuana stores. You can walk along the boardwalk for hours at a time and not get bored.

Conning Chu
    4 Jul 25, 2012

My favorite beach in Los Angeles, not because the beach itself is all that great though. It's one of if not the dirtiest beaches in LA. But, it's really fun to go to for the sheer people watching. Street performers, live painters, and the general freaky awesomeness. A definite good time for the more open-minded kids.

Eileen Russell
    5 Jul 25, 2012

I used to live in Venice, and when I go back to Venice, I have a routine I spend doing for at least one day of the trip. I recommend renting a beach cruiser at the South end of the Venice Boardwalk by Washington St. I start by getting a cup of coffee at the Cow's End, then walking down the pier to watch the waves, people watch, and see if anyone is catching any fish. Then I get on the cruiser and ride the trail along the boardwalk, stopping to take a break and put my feet in the sand and read any material I have brought along. I usually ride up to Rose Avenue, stopping to shop at any street vendors that look appealing, or to watch a show some local freak is putting on. When I get to Rose Ave, I usually stop to shop at DNA a discount boutique clothing store that has the best deals on the most comfortable men and women's clothes I've found anywhere. I have my favorite fish taco stop a little further up, in front of Safeway on Lincoln Blvd. It's cheap, delicious, and a local's spot. Next I'll ride back down to the beach and check to see if there's any yoga classes or massages available in the building under the famous ballerina clown where Santa Monica Blvd crosses Rose Ave. Then if you want you can continue up Santa Monica for more shopping, or get back to the beach trail. I usually ride to the Santa Monica Beach Boardwalk and then up to one of my favorite stores in the world. It's a world class crystal and fossil store with some of the most exotic and rare specimens you can find. The owner is a strange bird, but his knowledge is amazing and he can teach you a lot if you take the time to ask questions and let him show you some of his prized collection. It's at 1460 Lincoln Blvd and is called "Wonders of the World". From here you can explore the outdoor shopping that is the 3rd St. Promenade before riding back down the boardwalk to hopefully catch a sunset on the pier when you return the bike. I hope you enjoy my review, and feel free to ask any more questions. You might get lucky and see some stars, I've ridden my bike behind Arnold Schwarzenegger and Marie Shriver, and had lunch tables away from Cameron Diaz and Kramer from Seinfeld.
    Ciao!

Frank
    5 Jul 18, 2012

Absolutly a must see during day time. One of the few places in LA where you can sit down have a coffee and see life passing in front of you. But make sure you''ll leave before evening falls because then it's not as save as during the day.

Margaret Seelie
    5 Jul 14, 2012

Venice Beach is my favorite part of LA because you can walk to great shops, restaurants, and surf. We rented an apartment with airbnb.com two blocks from the main street, and had a blast livin' like a local.

Lissa Hurchalla

Pretty clean and safe water, surprisingly, given its location in the midst of a big city. Fun to watch the surfers and a wide, huge beach for kids to play on. Water is cold, but get over it and get in!

Garrett Hunter

Lots of sun, people watching, and all types of local shops to explore and enjoy the outdoors. For a couple miles you can walk, ride bikes, roller blade, and hang out with natives and tourists alike. Stop by one of the many restaurants along the boardwalk and watch the sun set over the bay.

Cory Caromano
    3 Jul 05, 2012

it was ok compared to other beaches, but what stands Venice beach out is the culture. its the beach that never made it out of the hippie movement. overall my experience was good tho, better if your 4-20 friendly

Helen Windle
    3 Jul 05, 2012

Even though it was a bit fuzzy, we put it down to salt haze rather than smog.....maybe we were just hopeful but it was still a great day out.

• Venice BeachPro 2014
    Leigh Virkus

Well, am I one of the characters that you see here or just an observer - do they think I am as strange as I think they are? This is one place where strange is the norm and it is fun to see what lengths some people will go to to get noticed.

Paula Taub

I used to live here in the the late '90's and LOVED IT! Although it has become quite yuppified and has lost a bit of it's former "grit", it's still a great place to see all kinds of street performers. There is a lot of cheap, touristy beach shopping to be had.

At the turn of the last century, it was built on a system of canals, and the idea was for it to look like Venice, Italy. It had a very carnival atmosphere with lots of performers (that's where that tradition began) and carnival rides and even gondolas in the canals. There are is a few sections of canals remaining. These are well worth visiting. There are some very small, but impressive oases built on the tiny lots.

Abbott Kinney Boulevard is a great little boutiquey shopping area with such offerings as Intelligentsia Coffee, Hal's and Nitespa to list a few of my faves!

If you walk thru the residential streets of Venice, you may notice some very modern and unique home designs. Frank Gehry, the famous architect, has designed quite a few houses here.

Shane Macaulay

Coolest beach ever! Thousands of street vendors and tattoo shops! Lots of interesting people for sure. Its a show, just walking down the boardwalk.

Becky M.
    3 Jul 05, 2012

As an LA native, I usually never go to the Venice boardwalk unless I'm bringing a visiting friend to see the sights. It's a crazy place, full of weirdos, tourists and tacky crap. But it's fun!

Daniella Nicole
    3 Jul 05, 2012

Venice is a cool place to walk around and has a lot of shops going down the boardwalk.

But.....

The beach is terrible and there are a lot of sketchy people

Maayan

Am I the only one who thinks of Bay Watch when I visit Venice Beach.
    It is the California spirit with blond girls and hot dudes :)

Nicholas D

Any and all visitors to Los Angeles must stop by the Venice Boardwalk. It is one of the most diverse places on earth, where bikers, surfers, skaters, mystics, doctors, immigrants, and all others mingle in harmony. If you want to buy anything, chances are its offered at one of the many shops and stalls. And the beach is five steps away, so bring a picnic.

JohnMichael
    3 Jul 04, 2012

The beach scene is not really my cup of tea without the rest of the crew. I can stomach it by myself for so long till I get bored. Fortunately I am running through here with my sisters. It is alright weather and I walk in and out a couple of stores. There's a number of shops that I wouldn't mind getting ink'd at but then I remind myself that there are a number of world renowned places to go else where in LA. Over all the area is ok. Would I come back... perhaps when the weather gets better.

So here I am walking down the boardwalk minding my own business. Howeve as we are about to leave I hear an ever faint beat. I look around and I see a fire about 100 yards out onto the beach. I walk closer where the sand meets the pavement and listen.
    *rave music and a bunch of half naked folks dancing around the fire
    chanting... "ZION ZION ZION!"
    *I say to myself...
    "that's nice."
    and then continue on my merry lil way.
    ;D

Sveta Berlyant
    4 Jul 21, 2014

What a colorful place.. A " special " beach, people watch place. Venice canals are nearby

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversFamily Travelers

10,822 people visited Venice Beach

The World famous Venice Beach Boardwalk is not to be missed. If you are visiting the Los Angeles area, you owe it to yourself to come to Southern California's number one visitor attraction. Stretching about one a half miles along the manicured sands of the Pacific Ocean, the boardwalk is a large part of what makes Venice unique.

Hotel Erwin