Veselka Restaurant

144 2nd Avenue, New York, NY 10003

• Veselka RestaurantAmbassador

I only came here once for a quick snack but that is definitely about to change. Veselka is a classic East Village institution that serves up tasty Ukrainian food 24 hours a day. I'm still craving the beet salad I had here, and I can't wait to tear through the rest of their menu.

Recommended for:FoodiesNightlife Lovers
  • Veselka RestaurantPro 2014

The wait here is not as horrible as other brunch places, and the service is pretty quick (for New York). I ordered the salmon benedict ($15.95 and includes a tea/coffee and orange juice). I devoured that benedict and thoroughly enjoyed it. It wasn't the best I ever had, but it was up there. My friend and I were in a hurry to get to the airport, and the server was very good about getting us our check and processing the payment in a timely manner. My friend ordered a salad, which was HUGE! I would say this restaurant is a good value for the money, and I would definitely come back again.

• Veselka RestaurantPro 2014

My go-to place for comfort food when I'm in the East Village. And by comfort food, I mean pierogies, blintzes, potato pancakes and matzoh ball soup. But they have a lot more than that. I was just there again, the week before last, and the menu is more varied than ever - one person at the table got a good-looking deluxe burger. I've also sampled a chicken stroganoff (they usually have the more traditional beef). The food is always delicious, and I'm usually too full to sample the scrumptious looking desserts on display. And who knows, maybe you'll spot a celeb - I was there one night, and Rufus Wainwright was sitting at a table behind me.

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
  • Veselka Restaurant

I absolutely adore Veselka! Delicious food - especially anything breakfast related! Their plates are super cute, too!

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
  • Veselka Restaurant

Your classic East Village diner. Good for casual brunch on the weekend or late night food after a night out. Always packed late night.

• Veselka Restaurant

I don’t know about you, but when the seasons change, so does my eating. When the chill starts in the air, I’m in the mood for soup or those stick to your ribs, belly warming dishes. The kind of peasant food you grew up on.

Walking through the East Village on a chilly Sunday, I was surrounded by a plethora of Polish and Ukranian restaurants. These no frill spots serve up simple but warming food. Just what I needed. I decided to visit Veselka. This place is always busy with diners looking for inexpensive comfort food.

I decided to check out their daily special “Beef Stroganoff”. So unlike me but not today. It comes with a choice of one side. My choice, beet and horseradish salad. When in Rome….you know the rest.

Shortly, my sweet Polish waitress brought out my fork tender beef in a creamy sour cream sauce with wild mushrooms over buttery egg noodles. The beet salad with the horseradish kick was a perfect companion along with the homemade challah bread. I know…I really went to town.

This is the kind of cooking that keeps your belly warm and full all day. It was like a giant hug for my belly.

• Veselka Restaurant

I was in the City with a girl I was hoping to God would soon become my girlfriend, but due to her aversion to relationships or commitment, I wasn't sure it was ever going to come to pass. What I needed was more than just expensive restaurants and classic wining and dining. I needed to be more subversive, more persuasive, more technical and sneaky... determined yet aloof. Veselka was most definitely one of the high points of this strategy.

Now, Sarah once told me that she had a Ukrainian grandmother, or Baka, and how she missed the food, the culture, and just couldn't get anything like what she knew back home in Michigan. This tidbit I tucked away for a moment that would avail itself later, at a time of my choosing... sneaky!

Well, back in the City, there we were, just a walkin' and a walkin', and Sarah mentioned she was hungry for a snack. And where do you think we were close to, and so conveniently near? "You, know, I could use a bite myself actually," I said, "and I think I know a spot a few blocks from here that I think you'll like."

Ah, I remember the look on her face when she walked in, looked at the food, picked up a menu, and saw what she's been craving for years: BORSCHT!

Well, I didn't brag, and I didn't make a big deal of it... I just mentioned how nice it was that we happened to be close.

We had the Stuffed Cabbage, some BORSCHT of course, and split the Ukrainian Grilled Kielbasa. All of it yummy, all of it bringing back memories, and all of it serving the greater cause.

Tip: give the Veal Goulash or the Bigos a try!

AMAZING MUST EAT

Recommended for:FoodiesBudget TravelersNightlife Lovers
  • Veselka Restaurant

Totally takes me to being a kid at my grandmother's. Pierogi, Borcht. Mmm mmm.

• Veselka Restaurant

Good stuff! I may be bias because I'm Ukrainian, but who doesn't love a good pierogi?

• Veselka Restaurant

Since 1954, Veselka has served the East Village neighborhood with Ukrainian and American specialties. The restaurant is featured in a number of prestigious publications.

1,177 people visited Veselka Restaurant