Vivek Hotel

1534-50 Main Bazar | Pahar Ganj, New Delhi 110055, India

• Vivek HotelPro 2014
    Matthew Crompton
    4 Oct 18, 2013

Vivek has recently renovated, and gone slightly upscale. And while this is still Paharganj, the 300R cheapies on the top floors have gone away, replaced by decent 600R rooms with good bathrooms, fans, and windows. Wireless is available for 200R per day, and gets decent connection speeds in-room. Some higher-tariff rooms with air-con are available for the heat of summer, and there's a couple slightly cheaper and much noisier windowless options on the ground floor. It's a landmark in Paharganj, and sees a constant flood of traffic from all over the world. The rooftop cafe does a good job of Indian curries and some western favorites, and is a major gathering point for the city's tourist culture.

Recommended for:Backpackers
  • Vivek Hotel
    Barri Tsavaris
    2 Mar 02, 2014

I would not stay in Vivek Hotel again. I made my booking ahead of time on hostelbookers.com. My flight was delayed and I didn't arrive to the hotel until 2:00 am. As soon as I walked into the lobby, a group of about 5-6 men stood and leered at me as I checked in at the front desk. Thinking I would get some sort of solace from the older manager of the hotel was hopeless. He was just as bad as the other men. He tried to charge me 700 rupees for my room, even when I told him that I'd booked it for only 600 online, through a 3rd party, and way in advance. He said sorry, the price has gone up. I then dug through my bag for the email confirmation. Good thing I travel with copies of everything! Once he saw it, he corrected himself and gave me the true price. The wifi barely worked in my room, and the computer with internet access was incredibly slow and often unavailable. They charge guests to use the internet, which is no problem, but then never had enough change on them so that you could actually pay for the internet. The front desk was also quite disagreeable in making change out of our larger bills. Being that this hotel was my first stop in India, I really needed help breaking my larger bills. As for the rooms themselves, they were clean enough and the hot water was decent. They did bring me an omelet at 2 in the morning my first night there, which was awesome, but that one nicety can't earn this place another star from me in light of the staff creepiness, attempts to rip me off, and overall bad attitude regarding making change. I was thrilled to leave this place.

Mediocre185 reviews across the web.

Excellent value for money, said 100%.
      76% liked the proximity to shopping.
    • Service
      72% found the staff to be very friendly.
    • Food
      60% thought the dining experience was appropriate.
      60% thought the cleanliness of the hotel was average.
    • Hotel Building