W San Francisco

181 Third St., San Francisco, CA 94103

Gogobot Editors' Choice
    5 Jul 22, 2013

Our top choice for a trendy luxury hotel. The staff treats each client like a valued guest, and the hip clientele feels right at home. You're just steps away from the MoMA (Museum of Modern Art), Union Square, and many of the city's top attractions. (If you'd like to go further afield, just ask for a personal ride in their fleet of Acuras.) Nice touches like Bliss spa toiletries, a DJ spinning tunes in the bar 'til late, and a small lap pool add to the trendy luxuriousness.

Sara Benson
    5 Jul 03, 2014

Though some of the W hotels worldwide are too-hip and tired, this branch is different. In SoMa, it's a sexy launching pad for city and bayfront explorations, and though parking is expensive, it's well-connected to public transit. Plus, the location is less hectic and touristed than Union Square hotels.

Emon Tjokro
    4 May 30, 2013
    Suzie Schornack
    4 Jul 15, 2014

The W is great for everything except maybe it's crowd. Their bar is great for after work drinks if you feel like being classy and not really talking to anyone except the people you came with. The crowd is very "tech company guys from Soma" and they aren't the best to "mingle" with. However, their drinks and wine selection are great, if maybe a bit pricey. And the decor and atmosphere are super upscale and pretty.

Recommended for:Business TravelersLuxury Travelers
    Zaid A.
    5 Apr 17, 2014

Swanky San Francisco hotel that is centrally located to many shops, restaurants and nightlife. Has a pretty cool bar and is frequented by techies and people in town for conferences. Sometimes they throw big events (news years party, Halloween party, etc.) which can be pretty fun. It's a bit pricey but you get what you pay for!

Recommended for:Nightlife LoversTrendstersLuxury TravelersBusiness Travelers
    Jaime Lehman
    5 May 08, 2014

The W, a gorgeous hotel near just about everything good in SOMA. Want to go to a park? Go to Yerba Buena across the street. Feeling a bit Spanish? Go to Thirsty Bear Brewing Company across the other street for some tapas and flamenco on Sunday nights. Museum lover? MOMA is a block away. Room on fire? The firehouse is right next door!

Gorgeous, modern interior. The room feels like you're bathing in luxury with a view from the top. Even if you already live here, take the words from Tom Havorford of Parks & Rec - Treat yo'self. Get a martini or three at the bar while you're at it.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesLocal CultureLuxury Travelers
    Mel S Wong
    4 Dec 26, 2013

The W SF has convenient location right on the main throughway, 3rd Street. The hotel is very chic and is consistent with other W brands with its trendy and fun vibe. Several of their suites were updated recently and they would be great to hire out for private parties and am sure that's what the managers had in mind.

The newly renovated suites is consistent with the newly renovated lobby and mezzanine bar to extend that party. The "living room" has opened up both upstairs and in the lobby area.

The W probably has the best hotel party-feel bar, in terms of trendiness and fun vibe, in SF.

• W San FranciscoCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Keane
    5 Oct 08, 2013

Came here for a party once at XYZ. Service was great and their Bloody Marys are pretty good. Prices are high, as one can expect from a W Hotel. I know the bar area is a popular spot for swankier locals as well as visitors.

Located conveniently near Yerba Buena Gardens, staying at the W Hotel gets you easy access to the mall, Union Square, loads of public transportation options and the great dining options in the SoMA district.

If you’re new to town and are looking for nearby dining options, I’d recommend Thirsty Bear for organic, house-brewed beer and California-influenced tapas. For a cheaper experience, Chevy’s nearby (yes, the chain) is always fun. If you’re looking for fancier fare, Pazzia, the Italian restaurant, is your best bet. It’s owned by a chef from Florence and it’s been recommended to me by several Italian friends.

Finally, if you’re staying this close to the Museum of Modern Art, do yourself a favor and visit it at least once!

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversNightlife LoversTrendsters
    Jason Flegel
    LGBT
    3 Aug 27, 2013

Eh, this W location could be nicer. I suppose real-estate is expensive in San Francisco, but the hotel feels somewhat cramped. The rooms are quality, clean, and comfortable-- it's just not as nice as some of the other W locations I've stayed at.

Also, the W style doesn't really mesh well with San Francisco. In fact, the LA-like lobby-- purple, grey, and telepoppy-- feels entirely out of place in SOMA. This wouldn't be my first choice of hotels in the city, but hey, it's still a W.

Recommended for:Luxury TravelersTrendsters
    Connie Pistilli
    5 Oct 10, 2013

Like all W hotels, this one is ultra luxe, with funky Japonais decor in the rooms. You also can't go wrong with the location - right next to the SFMOMA and a few blocks from Union Square. Love their chic XYZ lounge downstairs and the lovely libations at the bar. There's also a heated indoor pool and gym.

Definitely go for the Acura experience (complimentary car service) during the day until 7:30pm. You just need to book in advance, but sometimes it's available immediately. Cruising around town in a luxurious SUV for free? Awesome.

Recommended for:Luxury TravelersNightlife LoversTrendsters
    Sharon K. Yapp
    4 Aug 12, 2013

The W San Francisco doesn't disappoint! It's a modern, comfortable hotel that is in a great location for bars and the Moscone Convention Center if you're in town for a conference there.

I've stayed here for different occasions (bday, bachelorette party), and both times, and it was great both times! The concierge is super helpful, helping us identify good clubs to go to and helping us get on the VIP list too. For our bachelorette party, we even got free drink vouchers for the hotel which was super awesome.

The rooms and hip and swanky if you're looking for that kind of vibe. We stayed in the Wonderful Room once, and it seemed pretty spacious.

In terms of location, it's pretty good. You can either take a short cab ride to Union Square for some shopping, or enjoy the day with a short walk.

Recommended for:Business TravelersNightlife LoversTrendsters
    Travis Katz
    4 Apr 17, 2014

Great hotel if you are a fan of the W's hip, faux-botique vibe, like I am. Super comfortable, spacious rooms, some with great views of the city. They have a cool bar in the lobby and the location, walking distance to SOMA, Union Square, the Embarcadero and the SF MOMA is pretty tough to beat. Parking is, unfortunately, very expensive, so come prepared.

Recommended for:Business TravelersLuxury TravelersNightlife LoversTrendsters
    Richard P
    4 May 05, 2013

I've stayed here several years ago and thought it was a great experience, but honestly it was so long ago I can't really provide many details.

However as a relatively new resident to SF I have visited several times to grab some drinks and dinner. The W is a nice spot, but the drinks can be quite pricey (which is expected).

Food:
    I have had the burger and it was quite good. It was very flavorful and tasty. Our only complaint was that it wasn't cooked the way we wanted. As a party of 3 we ordered 1 rare and 2 medium-rare, but all came out medium-well to well done. Luckily the burger was nicely seasoned, because we still enjoyed it. I can't imagine how delicious they'd be if cooked correctly!

Phyth
    4 Feb 13, 2013

I haven't stayed in this hotel so I can't judge it properly. I have however been to the bar a good few times and found it pretty good in atmosphere but fairly underwhelming decor-wise. Big fan of the location however - right next to Yerba Buena, the Moscone centre etc.

Ian Lim
    4 Dec 07, 2012

Hands down the french toast at the W through room service is the best. Get a high floor and ask for the view of the bridge. The rooms are super comfortable and hip. The bar downstairs is always buzzing during the weekend. Lastly, utilize the free car service to go shopping and hit restaurants around the area. You'll save cab fare one way and you don't have to deal with crazy SF parking fees!

jamie barren
    5 Dec 06, 2012

Revel in the electric energy of W San Francisco. Ring in 2013 with Style and Splendor Monday, December 31st 2012 / 9pm-2am
    New Years Eve 2013 at W San Francisco (181 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94103)

Featuring: The Trent Cantrelle Experience

GET TICKETS AT HUGE DISCOUNT ONLINE TODAY ASAP AT http://wsfnye2013-jb.eventbrite.com
    For more info, contact Jamie Barren (310) 749-9029. Follow Us for VIP offers, events and more at http://twitter.com/jamiebarren

Find out about BEST NYE 2013 PARTIES online at http://www.facebook.com/hollywoodnewyears

Join us in the Innovative Living Room, Upstairs Bar & Lounge, and Grand Room. Don't miss the Luxury and the life that we all want to experience this New Year’s Eve.

Enjoy LIVE DJ Sets by six top San Francisco's DJs while indulging in a 4 Hour Premium Open Bar from 9:30PM-1:30AM. Be one of the many privileged VIP guests and indulge in the VIP bar treatment in Exclusive VIP Lounge with private bar and Mixologist.

Your New Years Eve plans have been officially set! So get ready for a celebration of sheer Nightlife indulgence at its absolute finest. Party favors, 3 midnight balloon drops & a countdown that will be 2nd to no other in America's favorite city and world renown hotel the W San Francisco!

6 DJs Preforming House & Top 40 | 5 Rooms of Music | 4 Hour Premium Open Bar
    3 Amazing Floors | 2 Dynamite Lounges & a Patio | 1 Spectacular Countdown
    TABLE SERVICE PACKAGES & GROUP RATES AVAILABLE

Living Room / Sexy House Opening Act by: DJ Audio 1 ( House Nation) and Trent Cantrelle (Coachella & EDC)
    Outside Patio / Electro Mashups by: DJ G - The Generalist (Mixcrate Star) vs Brand Spankin New
    Industry Room / TOP 40 & Club Anthems by DJ Twin Spin (Rev 927)
    Grand Room / House - Live 2x4 Set by: Eddy Santana & Adam Cova
    VIP Exclusive Lounge by: Darker Daze

Dress attire: Black Tie preferred but not required
    Don't Drink & Drive. Settle into one of the luxurious rooms and take the Elevator Home

W SAN FRANCISCO Accommodations available at: http://wsanfrancisco.com

Grace Hsiang
    4 Jul 04, 2014

It's really cute and modern, although a bit on the small side (that's SF for ya). It's in a great location that's within reach of a lot of great spots.

Carly Paoli
    5 Nov 21, 2012

I love to stay here when I come to SF. The upgrade to a corner room with a view is worth it: so romantic!

Candace L
    3 Oct 21, 2012

I've been a bit torn on my review for W San Fran - I stayed here for a couple nights because I wanted to be in the Union Square area for the Nike Women's Marathon.

I was on the 31st floor in room 3109 - right near an ice machine, which was my request.

However, each night was quite noisy and it was not due to the ice machine. The walls are very thin and I could hear every word of every ones conversation in the room next door, below me and outside the hallway. I could hear whatever they had on their TV, their phone ringing etc. and at one point "Call me maybe" was playing for a really long time - I love the song, but not in the middle of the night when I'm trying to get a good nights rest. It was certainly the most noisy hotel I have ever stayed at in San Fran.

I did email the GM a few days before my stay to request the tub be filled with ice for an ice bath after the marathon and when I returned to my room, this was done. I really appreciate them reading their emails and request and following through although I did not have a reply to my email the request was seen through which was very nice.

I had asked for early check a few days before my arrival and the morning of since my flight was arriving early and I knew I'd need to rest up before the marathon but unfortunately I was not called until 3:30PM to tell me my room was ready - so much for that!

There is Fiji water for $5 a bottle in the room or a bottle of complimentary water which was nice, I was able to fill my water bottles for the marathon the morning of.

The kitchen is not open 24 hours everyday, however it is on the weekends - good to know! When you need to eat something small very early.

One of the staff members in the lobby on Saturday morning must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed or she was just a bitch! being a card holding member of the same club, I have no problem saying so - but I had been up since the crack of dawn, to my parents house, to the airport, taken a shuttle, train and taxi to get this hotel and when I asked her for directions to the NWM expo in Union Square (which the lobby staff should know if 25,000 people are racing in it tomorrow, and many staying at their hotel) she kept asking me for an address or location. I told her it was in the center or Union Square and if she could direct me there - she rattled off directions once as if I lived in San Fran and knew exactly where I was going, when I asked her again to ensure I heard her correctly she got totally pissed off and irritated. Which is just ridiculous - it was first thing in the morning and no one else was checking in, so for her to kindly provide me directions when I'm asking shouldn't have been such a big deal. Starting off my stay here with this attitude and then calling me after 3:30P for my check in - did not leave a good taste in my mouth.

I probably will not be staying here again. I did like the privacy and key card access in the elevator so any old random isn't allowed on to sleeping room floors.

The lobby was ok - I sat there for a moment to move some stuff around throughout my bags before leaving them with the bell desk.

It's also easy to grab a cab right out front. They are right next to SFMOMA which is nice but I wasn't overly impressed with any aspect of the place.

shirlene
    5 Sep 11, 2012

One of my fave places to stay in the city. Great location, right by Samovar :) and easy access to BART.

Showing Lowest Prices

Good! - 79% of guests recommend

Set in the heart of San Francisco, the W San Francisco is close to the SF Museum of Modern Art and Moscone Convention Center. Union Square, with its numerous shops and restaurants, is located nearby. Additional attractions include Chinatown, AT&T Park, and the Transamerica Pyramid.

Features:
Dining options at W Hotel San Francisco include a restaurant and a bar/lounge. Room service is available 24

... read more
hours a day. Recreational amenities include an indoor pool, a spa tub, and a fitness facility. This 4-star property has a business center and offers small meeting rooms, secretarial services, and a technology help desk. High speed Internet access is available in public areas. This San Francisco property has event space consisting of banquet facilities, conference/meeting rooms, a ballroom, and exhibit space. Wedding services, concierge services, limo/town car service, and translation services are available. Guest parking is available for a surcharge. Additional property amenities include a coffee shop/cafe, valet parking, and multilingual staff. This is a smoke-free property. A total renovation of this property was completed in April 2007.

Guestrooms:
There are 404 guestrooms at W Hotel San Francisco. Beds come with pillowtop mattresses and premium bedding. Coffee/tea makers and minibars are offered. Bathrooms feature shower/tub combinations, makeup/shaving mirrors, designer toiletries, and bathrobes. Wireless Internet access is available for a surcharge. Guestrooms also offer voicemail and complimentary newspapers. 27-inch televisions have DVD players and pay movies. Air-conditioned rooms also include desks, electronic check out, electronic/magnetic keys, and irons/ironing boards. Guests may request a turndown service, hypoallergenic bedding, and wake-up calls. Housekeeping is available. Cribs (infant beds) and rollaway beds are available on request. Guestrooms are all non-smoking.

Notifications and Fees:

The following fees and deposits are charged by the property at time of service, check in, or check out.

• Valet parking: US $48 per night

The above list may not be comprehensive. Fees and deposits may not include tax and are subject to change.

• Air Conditioning

Good!1238 reviews across the web.

• Guests recommend this hotel for business travelers.
  • Guests say the hotel is perfect for a romantic getaway.
  • Service
    92% found the staff to be very friendly.
    89% liked the proximity to sightseeing.
  • Ambiance
    87% enjoyed the friendly atmosphere.
    83% thought it was clean.
  • Food
    75% found the breakfast to be wonderful.
  • Wellness Area
    Wellness & sports facilities were pleasant enough.

Palace Hotel