Wadi Rum Travel Guide

Petra Giordania
    5 Jun 21, 2014

The landscape of Wadi Rum and its colors not need to be commented; not sleeping in this desert even for just one night, it would be as have been never there. There are many campsites, mostly " Spartans ", without any service typical of western everyday life : electricity, running water, hot water, WiFi, toilets, with exception of Bait Ali campsite, a large property with tents and chalets, with toiletry & showers shared or private; there many activities to try out : other than the classical Jeep safaris, there are hot balloon, camel or horses rides, buggies and microlights ; the owner is married to an "English lady " Anyway, apart of the campsite`s qualities, the Infinite is all around. The red desert meets the white one, the most starry sky you've ever seen, and when the moon rises is pure magic. The cheerful hospitality of the locals, the delicious dinner, in a very traditional zarb experience, songs and stories around the fire, make Wadi Rum a special destination to remember.

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersBackpackersBudget TravelersOutdoor Enthusiasts
  • Wadi RumPro 2014
    Maan @Travel Binge
    5 Nov 10, 2013

I loved our two hour adventure although since we came there Sept (2013). weather quite hot. Nevertheless you Need a whole day to at least see much of the place. We took pick ups so most of our companions sat on the open area where they can get better photos of the reddish colored desert. This is featured in the book and movie of TE Lawrence, better known as Lawrence of Arabia

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersBackpackersFamily TravelersLocal Culture
    Summer Wilms
    5 Oct 21, 2013

This place is gorgeous! You wouldn't think that there is much to see among all the sand and rocks but there are great places to climb for incredible views, rock art, gorges to explore, even some historical sites, like T.E. Lawrence's "house". When I was last there they were also building an information center that looked pretty good.

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersHistory BuffsLocal Culture
    Jess Robeson
    5 Sep 17, 2013

Wadi Rum is truly amazing. The desert landscape is mesmerizing! We met our local guides and Salameh and Farag at the visitor's centre to commence our desert adventure. The first day we did a jeep tour which was loads of fun. We drank lots of tea, ate a fantastic barbecue lunch and shared many jokes. These guys are very desert savvy and took us to great spots. After spending one night in the camp, we decided to undertake a bit of hiking and climbing and camp further afield under the brilliant night skies. There are many great guides who will show you the way, but I recommend giving these guys a shot (wadirumexperience.com). This place is a must see when visiting Jordan!

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersBudget TravelersLocal CultureOutdoor Enthusiasts
    Paddy Stockwell
    5 Jun 22, 2013

Wadi Rum was absolutely breathtaking and the highlight of our trip to Jordan.We spent 1 day and 1 night camping in a Bedouin tent and doing a jeep tour with our brilliant guide Ali Mohammad (wadirum-travel.com) (there seem to be loads of guides to choose from but we had heard good things about Ali and we were not disappointed!) We couldn't recommend Jordan and the Wadi Rum highly enough; a stunning and memorable place with very knowledgeable and welcoming people.

Recommended for:BackpackersGreen TravelersOutdoor EnthusiastsWellness
    roni Prince
    5 Aug 08, 2012

I have been to Wadi Rum as a part of two day trip to Jordan with bunch of friends.

After a day at Petra, we went to Aqaba to rent an SUV.
    Yeah, that's right, We Preferred to do the driving by our self rather than go on a guided trip.If you are not complete stranger to off road driving(you don't have to be a pro) than that's the way to go. The place is not so huge and getting lost is not really that much of a danger.

When you do the driving by yourself, you have a nice driving experience and the adventure of navigating with a map(which you can get at the info centre there) and exploring all the landmarks. This is an amazing playground for driving an SUV and it was a BLAST!. I would recommend finding and printing you own map back at home before the trip

You will have to pay extra for entering Wadi Rum with a rented vehicle but that is not that much expensive.
    We Have Arrived at night and spent the night sleeping under the sky at the perfect April weather. No extra charge for camping. But if you would like, you can stay in a tent hotel for quite a low fee. Showers and Bathrooms are on place, no extra charge.
    In the same area you can fill back the air in your tires when you want to head back on-road.

Wadi Rum is Amazing. I live in Israel and I have seen desert landscape in my life, but Wadi Rum certainly have it's unique magic. As I am more of landscape lover than history lover, I even liked it better than Petra.

Wadi Rum is a must visit place if you go to Jordan or even Eilat in Israel. Unless you are going rock-climbing, one day is more than enough. You can arrive at morning and leave fully satisfied at noon. The place is not that huge. And don't forget to drink a glass of sweet coffee in a Bedouin tent.

Ali Al-Shaikhli
    5 Aug 05, 2012

Awesome sunset, awesome food. And its a place where you can see the sky crystal clear, I didn't know there are millions of starts above our heads till I went to Wadi Rum.

Melissa Smart

The most beautiful scenery! We stayed out in the desert for 4 days, I wish it was longer. Drove in a jeep most days exploring the terrain, climbing up cool rock formations, seeing baby camels, and coming back to base camp every night for some great food and hospitality.

Diman Karagyozov

We spent wonderful time in the Wadi Rum desert. We've decided to go with Saleh (http://wadirumtours.com/). The provided service is excellent, very friendly and personal. On the first day we went to the desert camp with camels, for maybe 2 hours; on the second day Saleh's brother, Atik, organized a remarkable jeep tour in the desert.

Yvonne Brett

Spent the night in a Bedouin camp after visiting Petra. Spent $5 for a two hour "Jeep" ride to see a rock map, slide down a huge sand dune, and then watch the sunset. I learned that this is where old Toyotas go to die. The roll bar was really just rebar, so I am just pretty glad that we didn't roll over since we were just sitting on a bench seat in the back :) Made it back to the encampment in time to feast on goat that had been roasting in a pit all day. They like to party, so there was music and dancing most of the night. Bring a bandana, because you won't be taking a shower and the dust is everywhere. It was one of the most amazing days during my time in Jordan. Make sure you take the time to spend a night in Wadi Rum because it is a really beautiful desert.

Aaron King

Dave, I definitely recommend spending a few days in Wadi Rum. Most tourist packages take people there for on a couple of hours to tour the desert, but you can stay in a tent in the national park and hang out with the locals. There's usually a small community of international rock climbers there as well if you want to do some climbing and see some astounding views

cristóbal josé prieto iñárritu

Part of my plan in going to the Middle East was to go to Petra and see some ancient Nabatean ruins. While I was cruising up the Red Sea from Egypt to Aqaba, Jordan I met a guy who was telling me about his plans to a place called Wadi Rum. I had never heard of the place but the way he described it made it sound like a must see. I changed my plans and went with him and all I can say is that I got the biggest surprise of the trip. Wadi Rum has to been the most amazing desert landscape that I have ever seen in my entire life. I have been in the Northern Sahara in both Egypt and Morocco, the Sonoran and Mojave deserts in the US but I have never, I repeat, NEVER seen anything as awe inspiring as the desert around Wadi Rum. The reddish colored, oddly formed mountains and beautiful sand dunes made for jaw-dropping scenery. It didn't hurt any that it was picture-perfect, 68-degree weather when we trekked through the desert in search of Nabatean inscriptions.

Another amazing surprise was Beit Ali Campground (http://www.baitali.com/). Now I use the word "campground" very loosely because it way more luxurious than any campground I have ever stayed at. Our "included-in-the-price" dinner turned out to be a feast that included steak and chicken kabobs as well as a variety of Middle Eastern dishes. I was truly blown away. Our tent had beds, electricity and what I am guessing to be Persian Rugs on the ground. It was really nicer than a lot of hostel rooms that I have stayed in.

The wonderful staff was the icing on the cake. I could not have asked for more friendly, accommodating people. They really make you feel welcome.

For those Westerners who might be a little timid about staying in a camp ground in the desert in the Middle East I say don't worry. I felt totally safe there. The only thing that I would do differently next time (and there will be a next time) is that I would rent a vehicle and drive there from Aqaba so that I won't have to hitchhike again and I would probably spend the extra money for a guide so that I won't get lost in the desert again--but that is another story!

Wim Veldhuis

Barbara Rasinaho
    4 Feb 24, 2012
Find Hotels in Wadi Rum:

495 people visited Wadi Rum

Jordan’s largest “wadi” or valley and one of its biggest tourist attractions lies 60km outside Aquaba. The “Valley of the Moon” hosts a myriad of desert activities ranging from 4x4 tours to horseback expeditions. Rock climbers and admirers of rock art also flock to this stunning landscape that was inhabited for centuries by ancient cultures. Movie buffs might recognize the area from scenes from “ ... read more
Lawrence of Arabia” or “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen”.

Current ForecastbyWeather Underground