Wall Drug Store

510 Main St, Wall, SD 57790
Wall Drug, a mall for cowboys.

• Wall Drug StorePro 2014

Granted, I think this was more interesting when I was a child than I did on our most recent trip. As far as tourist traps go, I don't think it's even that good of a one, but it's one of those places that you need to go to as you pass through.

• Wall Drug StorePro 2014

Very touristy, but fun. Lots of great photo ops. Pretty decent donuts. Definitely worth a stop on a road trip!

• Wall Drug StorePro 2014

When she found out that I was visiting South Dakota, my mother insisted that we visit Wall Drug. Wall Drug Store is something of a cowboy shopping market, with a chapel, restaurant, video arcade, souvenirs and free ice water. Wall Drug signs line route 90 for miles, exhorting passersby to check out this bizarre attraction surrounded by so much nothing.

Recommended for:Family TravelersHistory BuffsLocal CultureTrendsters
  • Wall Drug Store

On a road trip with my friend, we were running low on gas and water and couldn't help but notice the signs on the highway guiding us to Wall Drug. So we stopped thinking we could refuel, refill, and take a quick look around and be back on the road. That was not the case, we walked into this massive store and could not resist checking out everything they have to offer, including the free ice water, $0.05 cups of coffee, amazing donuts and pie, and general amazing coolness of this store. The backyard here is a must-see! There are so many fun photo opportunities back there!

We had a great time here although it definitely set us TWO HOURS back, it was well worth it! We picked up the brochure for the store and read it on our way to our hotel. The story of how this store became famous is a good road trip read after your visit!

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersBackpackers
  • Wall Drug StoreAmbassadorPro 2014

You can't not swing through here if you are driving through South Dakota. A hundred signs along the road will remind you of that! It's a tourist trap, but one that's really become a road trip institution in its own right. It's very family-friendly, and if I had a lot of money I'd definitely waste it on a jackelope.

• Wall Drug Store

Huge maze of stores-- tourist trap yes but a fun one. They seemed to have everything from displays on mining (and a chance to buy dirt and do your own panning for treasure), all kinds of kitschy tourist garb, shot glasses, mugs, huge toy selection (be prepared if you have kids), a big restaurant and ice cream shop and a play area for kids.

• Wall Drug StorePro 2014

And while I'm on the this morning's subject of infamous tourist areas, raise your hand if you haven't driven past one of the Wall Drug Signs? And Free Ice Water!

This is a good example of wonderful down home marketing and a payoff that probably pleases many, but is too "stuff and schlock" overwhelming for me to stay any longer than 30 minutes or so. But at least I can say that I've visited the famous Wall Drug!. The closest thing to this place in Northern California might be Granzella's in Williams.

But all is not lost if you've made the trek out here. Driving around and experiencing the nearby Badlands was one of the highlights to our trip several years ago.

• Wall Drug Store

This is more sizzle than steak. The place was advertise for hundreds of miles and it's not more than a big pit stop for travelers.
    Now it's a good pit stop to pick up drinks an nick knacks but not a must place to stop.

• Wall Drug Store

FUN PLACE FOR EVERYONE, ACRES OF STORES AND DINNING!

429 people visited Wall Drug Store